Seeking Advice on First Quadcopter Build (for GoPro footage)

G

...guest...

Hi everyone. New to this forum and new to the quadcopter world. And frankly, I'm new to the r/c world in general lol :nevreness:

However, I am not new to GoPro videos and the reason I'm here is because I want to take my footage to the air. After much research, I've settled on a quadcopter as the ideal platform. After much more research, I've come up with the following parts list. Gross price is $252.34 from HobbyKing.

Weight & Thrust Requirement

Assuming I've done the math right and my weight estimates are close, this configuration may be overpowered and was hoping to get advice on this in particular:
  • total estimated weight including GoPro camera and case: 1,725 grams
  • thrust required: 3,450 grams
  • using 10x5 props at 1,270 grams per prop or 5,080 total; well over the 3,450 required

Frame

I've opted for the HT-450 quad frame with the Dead Cat conversion kit to accomodate the GoPro. It looks like I could fashion tall landing gears and mount on the underbelly on the HT-450 alone but decided I liked the wider front arms of the conversion kit and placement of the GoPro.

I'm hoping to use this quadcopter to take a lot of footage over open ocean (approx 50-100 yards from shore) of surfing. I had looked into the "Project X" waterproof frame but decided as a beginner, I don't quite trust myself to install compontents into such tight and confined spaces. Another reason why I opted for this frame setup.

Motor & Props

Stability and smoothness are my primary aim here so I can get optimal video footage so I was hoping to use a higher KV motor as I'd read higher KV offered slower but smoother acceleration. But the 1000KV motor I had looked at listed 9 and 8 as compatible props and these did not get me the minimum prop thrust I needed. So I've identified the following 800KV motor:

• [changed mind on the motor - please see follow up post below]

... and these 10x4.5 slow flying props that as mentioned should give me 5,080 thrust:

• [changed mind on the props - please see follow up post below]

ESC & Battery

The max amp rating on the motors is 20 amps so I picked out this 30 amp ESC:

Is that too much buffer on the amps? Also I had read that at least one of the ESCs had to be non-OPTO. Is this accurate? I believe the one linked to above is an OPTO.

[please see follow up post below for non-OPTO ESC selection]

The battery is a 4000mAh 3S 25C. The minimum amp current for the motors is 80 amps and the battery amp is 100. Again, too much buffer? Any harm in such a buffer on the battery and ESCs? I'm also opting to get this low voltage alarm which seems like a very smart buy for the price as well as a starp, charger, and breakout cable:

Flight Controller

I really need some advice here. Down the road, I would really like to incorporate gps functionality including altitude hold or minimum, gps homing, etc. But for now, I've picked this KK2.0 flight controller because I understand it does not need to be hooked up to a computer (controls on an onboard lcd screen), its very affordable, and generally good for beginners. Should I go ahead with this or bite the bullet and go with a more advanced controller that I can then grow into?

Transmitter & Receiver

I've picked out this transmitter and receiver set mostly due to price. My concern here is when I do incorporate gps features, will this set be able to accommodate those features?

Lastly, I know this hobby is not a cheap hobby and I don't mean to diminish that significance by any measure. But I need to be frank that I am very much liking this price point of $250. Of course, I'd initially looked at the RTF products out there namely the DJI Phantom and another that appears to be a knock off. So I decided to see if I could make one more affordably but also so I understand exactly what is going into this quadcopter.

Again, any advice, feedback, or comments would really be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

G

...guest...

I noticed a flaw in my math. The minimum thrust was based on suggested prop thrust with 14.1v requiring a 4S battery. Not sure why yet but I'd read to avoid 4 celled batteries as a beginner. So I reconfigured this with a different motor than can accept larger props.

I've selected these 12/3.8 props since I was having a hard time finding the 12/6 suggested. I'm not too sure how this might throw off my thrust calculation.

I've decided to stick with the same battery with given its mAh and discharge (100 amps) far exceeds the motors amp requirement (72 amps). The way I understand it, the higher the mAh on the battery, the longer the flight time all else equal. Is there any detriment to using high mAh batteries?

Lastly, I mentioned I had only linked to the OPTO ESCs, here is the non-OPTO ESC I would also purchase. Again, please let me know if I'm not getting this right (as far as needing just one non-OPTO ESC):

Thanks.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
The KK2 will probably come with V1.2 firmware, you need to update to at least V1.5.

Get the Afro ESC's, Multistars are okay but Afros are better and smoother for video.

For video work you want the best props, get some Carbon Fibre props and a Dubro balancer and make sure they are balanced perfectly.

The KK2 FCU can use all non opto, only motor port 1 will connect BEC voltage through to the board, just disconnect the red wire from the others.

Never ever think that anything is equal, more weight is always bad, it is you mortal enemy and you must fight it at all costs.

The NTM motors are not bad and I am happy to use them on basic hack quads but they are a bit hungry and some can be a bit off balance, all against using them for video, have a look at the Sunny Sky motors, much better and prices are good, look for one of the 900kv 2212-13 motors.

How much do I hate those frames, a lot actually. Just buy a TBS Discovery or at least something better than those with no power distribution.

Cheers

Pete

G

...guest...

Pete, THANK YOU so much for your feedback. Coming from nothing, your feedback is like a goldmine of customized information.

I have looked at the Team Blacksheep frame and I guess you're saying the build quality of the HT-450 is that bad?

I'm actually surprised (again, newbie here) that of all the replacement recommendations you made, you did not think the KK2 should be replaced with something else.

I will look into all of these parts and redo the math and price everything again.

Thanks again very much Pete. Really appreciate the feedback!

G

...guest...

Pete thanks again for your feedback. I'm finalizing my list and getting ready to order. You are the second to recommend the Afro ESCs and the SunnySky motors as it relates to video application. Also, thank you for clarifying non-OPTO for the KK board.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
There is better FCU's but they will cost a heap more or be a lot more difficult to tune in, the KK2 is a nice place to start and get some good experience.

I highly recommend the Naza Lite for some extra stability and some more features once you have learnt to fly.

Once you get some experience you will know where you want to spend the cash to get the best results, the gimbal on the front of my Discovery Pro is the best thing ever invented but I do not recommend that sort of setup for someone just starting out.

Cheers

Pete

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
V1.6 is the latest, better stability.

I was suggesting one with power distribution but it is not a big deal, can just make life easier.

Pete

bensid54

I went with the Naza light because that was what I was advised and am very happy with it. On the down side of Hobby King is their customs is now getting very involved in shipping and as a result causing major delays. The last thing I ordered from Hobby King (and I mean last thing) was ordered in August they say it was shipped as of last week after many threats from myself to close my account and ask for my money back. Just a word of caution about Hobby King.

Stacky

I went with the Naza light because that was what I was advised and am very happy with it. On the down side of Hobby King is their customs is now getting very involved in shipping and as a result causing major delays. The last thing I ordered from Hobby King (and I mean last thing) was ordered in August they say it was shipped as of last week after many threats from myself to close my account and ask for my money back. Just a word of caution about Hobby King.

I see people having problems with HK and I wonder whats happening. I have been buying from them for 3 years and the longest I have ever had to wait was 2 weeks. I have placed around 30 orders through them over the last 3 years and the one thing I have noticed is small and simple orders get her within a week but orders with multiple parts take up to 10 days. generally though very quick. However its a common thing people having long delays. it would be interesting to know why so many have problems. Im wondering if its related to the country being shipped to??

bensid54

Could be that and from what I hear customs is putting a lot of pressure on companies that ship abroad. Apparently they are clamping down on the electronics that use lypo batteries, cameras and the like. Maybe the Patent Co-operation Treaty countries are putting pressure on the receiving countries that are members due to the blatant patent rip offs by the Chinese. Last I checked China and India are not members of the Patent Co-operation Treaty and do have a free reign on Intellectual property thievery.