Naza Yaw issue (return to previous direction)

Hey everyone!

Im having an issues with my hexa, its a Y config.

Eg. When hovering, (in both ATTI and GPS mode) I give some rudder to yaw. The copter yaws say 45 degrees, but when i release the rudder, it returns to its original direction.

To rotate it and keep it rotated, i find I have to hold the rudder stick. If I yaw more than 90 degrees, it keeps that position and doesnt slowly yaw back.
Its almost like the yawing resolution is set to increments of 25-30 degrees.

Any ideas?

Copter info
----------
AUW 4kgs
2x 5000mah 4S 45C
Motor to motor distance 70cm
Tiger 2814 motors
APC 11x4.7 SF

Gains are
Basic: 160
Atti: 120
Yaw: 130
Vertical: 200

NR

Last edited by a moderator:

cinefly

Hey everyone!

Im having an issues with my hexa, its a Y config.

Eg. When hovering, (in both ATTI and GPS mode) I give some rudder to yaw. The copter yaws say 45 degrees, but when i release the rudder, it returns to its original direction.

To rotate it and keep it rotated, i find I have to hold the rudder stick. If I yaw more than 90 degrees, it keeps that position and doesnt slowly yaw back.
Its almost like the yawing resolution is set to increments of 25-30 degrees.

Any ideas?

Copter info
----------
AUW 4kgs

2x 5000mah 4S 45C
Motor to motor distance 70cm
Tiger 2814 motors
APC 11x4.7 SF

Gains are
Basic: 160
Atti: 120
Yaw: 130
Vertical: 200

NR
I am also having the same issue.
Just put together a new Y config and flew it for the first time today and same thing happened to me. What FC version are you running?
Kat

Hey Kat

Im using the firmware that goes with the naza assistant 1.8. Its a large hexa and i dont like testing new firmware on a platform I used for work ;)
At least theres someone else having the issue :) What firmware are you running?

At first I thought it might be a GPS problem, but it still persists when the gps is unplugged and in ATTI mode.

Perhaps its a vibration thing? Iv setup 20-30 copters with nazas, all quads and std flat config hexas and never had a problem.
Its obviously got to do with the whole co-axial thing.

What size is your frame? Mine is 70cm (motor to motor) UAV frame extreme Y70.
How much vertical space do you have between props?
Are you using the same props top and bottom?

View attachment 14350

G:)

Attachments

• DSC00188 (Large).jpg
    DSC00188 (Large).jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 341

cinefly

Hi G
I am running the latest assistant software v2.20 and firmware v4.02[FONT=Open Sans, Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]. I have flown this particular unit on a flat 4 with no problems. This machine which is having the problems is a new Droidworx AD Y6 which I have just finished building. The AUW is 6kg including camera and Freefly 360 gimbal with brushless motor conversion on it and am running kopterworxs KW4 motors, 13 in props top and bottom, 40amp opto escs and 2 x 5000mah batteries for now. My frame is about the same size as yours motor to motor and vertical space between the top of each motor is a gap of 11.5cm
In hover it is rock solid and had a gopro hard mounted on the machine with a video downlink and I had no vibration on the frame at all so that is not the issue.
I don't have the NAZA assistant open right now but from memory my gain settings were pitch & roll 180, yaw & vertical 150 and attitude for both at 100. These are the settings I normally use of a larger machine just to get me started.
I was wandering about rolling back to an earlier version but seeing as you are having these problems with earlier firmware then I won't bother. The only time I got similar issues was on my octo fitted with WKM when I upgraded the firmware so I went back to an earlier version ann that sorted that out.
Hmmm, I wander what could be causing the issue.
Thanks
Kat
I don't know if this has any significance but I am using my new Futaba T14SG radio with R7008SB receiver and I am running sbus as I have the battery telemetry modules connected. I have not used this radio set up on another machine yet but doubt that it is that.
[/FONT]

I doubt its the radio or receiver. Im also running sbus with a futaba 8j.

If you think about it, the prop config of coaxial is different. All the top motors are CCW and bottom are CW.
Yet the bottom motors are more effected by the top when yawing. #scratcheshead.
Im sure the algorithms compensate for that. The closer the props are together, the more the turbulance the bottom has to deal with.

I just thought of something!!! I get a feeling it might be gain related, specifically YAW gain. This is what I suggest we do:

Map X1 to yaw gain.
Adjust it from 50-200 in flight to see if this has any effect on the yaw issue.
If you get to try this before me, let me know how it goes.

We could also try different pitch props on the bottom or top to see what effect that has.
I dont think its a good idea changing prop sizes as the larger props would yaw it more, but I could be wrong.

cinefly

I doubt its the radio or receiver. Im also running sbus with a futaba 8j.

If you think about it, the prop config of coaxial is different. All the top motors are CCW and bottom are CW.
Yet the bottom motors are more effected by the top when yawing. #scratcheshead.
Im sure the algorithms compensate for that. The closer the props are together, the more the turbulance the bottom has to deal with.

I just thought of something!!! I get a feeling it might be gain related, specifically YAW gain. This is what I suggest we do:

Map X1 to yaw gain.
Adjust it from 50-200 in flight to see if this has any effect on the yaw issue.
If you get to try this before me, let me know how it goes.

We could also try different pitch props on the bottom or top to see what effect that has.
I dont think its a good idea changing prop sizes as the larger props would yaw it more, but I could be wrong.

Hi G
Hi G. I don't think the yaw gain is affected in that way. Someone mentioned to me that the motor alignment needs to be perfect so re-aligned them so all at 90 degrees and props equidistance from one another etc. Took it for a test again today and exact same problem. Recorded some footage with gopro hard mounted on main frame to check for vibration and there was absolutely no vibration.
When I yaw to the left the machine rotates to the left and then moves back to centre on it's own. When I yaw to the right it keeps rotating to the right for a little bit and then stops. I changed the compass for another one and re-calibrated.
I don't know if it means anything but I have the DJI iOSD and the left and right arrows on the screen are increasing and decreasing values when the copter is just stationary. I though maybe this was a sign of something else going on. Will try and test with another FC in case that it is but I am leaning towards some weird fc behaviour on this particular fw update unless someone else has any thoughts.
Will keep you posted
Kat

The frame Im using is is perfectly symmetrical. I have no vibrations either.
Also it cant be a firmware thing. Im running an old version of FW. #scratcheshead
Perhaps its time to ask DJI?

cinefly

The frame Im using is is perfectly symmetrical. I have no vibrations either.
Also it cant be a firmware thing. Im running an old version of FW. #scratcheshead
Perhaps its time to ask DJI?

Hmmmmm, the mystery continues:) let me know if you have a break through and I will do the same.
kat

DennyR

I think what you are describing is related to the magnetometer so my guess is that it is a calibration issue. Maybe you have run a magnet too close to the puck at some time.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think what you are describing is related to the magnetometer so my guess is that it is a calibration issue. Maybe you have run a magnet too close to the puck at some time.

If it was puck related, the problem wouldnt persist when it is removed and flown in atti mode...
Would it???

cinefly

Hi Denny.
I have re-calibrated the GPS but do you mean re-calibrate the IMU unit? As far as I am aware, no magnets have crossed the crafts path since it was flown without problems on my CX a couple of weeks ago but will give it a try. All the readings look OK in the NAZA assistant but as I said, getting weird readings in the iOSD
Kat:)

Halifax

Any fix known for this? I have the same problem. Input R rudder/yaw and stop and the Y6 continues to yaw an inch or two and stops. Input L rudder yaw and stop and the Y6 stops and reverses an inch. Checked gain, props, motor alignment. Naza V2.
Weird.

Tahoe Ed

Does your Y6 fly straight? if not rotate the GPS puck the opposite of the curve in the flight. That may help your yaw issue.