XAircraft SuperX

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Hey, did it ever occur that it might be the mistakes your making or lack of building skills?

No

Considering I've built and flown several dozen multirotors across a span of the last 6 years and NEVER before encountered a problem with an ESC catching fire while in flight I would have to say the problem wasn't anything I did or did not do.

Saying I lack building skills is laughable, do a little research on the forum before you make ridiculous statements like that.

Ken

skquad

Yes and no, my extended arm Disco with 22 pole pancakes flew better with the Castle MR ESCs than it did on SimonK ESCs but still not as well as with "normal" motors on any type of ESC. That is they worked well right up until one of them burst into flames while executing a turn to come in for a landing! I have to say, that's an experience I've never had before, I've had connectors fail and ESCs lose a phase but never had one catch fire for no apparent reason.

I swapped back to a set of all nFET Chinese ESCs, next they will be getting the BLHeli firmware port for Atmel processors which allegedly can be easily tuned to work well with high pole count motors, unlike SimonK that requires recompiling and uploading to change anything. I'm using the BLHeli on a few different Silabs based ESCs and it does seem to work much better than any other ESC/firmware combo I've used so time will tell if this is the ultimate answer but I will not trust the Castle ESCs again, their reputation for pyrotechnic displays on RC Helis while in flight seems to continue with the M/R line of products.

Ken

Unfortunately I have found that allowing for general user error (which is the cause of the vast majority of problems -speaking from personal experience here) with electronics, **** happens. Not sayingyou did anything wrong, on the contrary, your was likely meticulous. But, doesn't matter how good a product or brand is, sometimes stuff just fails. To label that brand as no good is Ott in my opinion. Have you ever down with an airline that has never had an accident or driven a car where nine of the components ever failed and then refused to ever use that beans again? Not realistic.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Unfortunately I have found that allowing for general user error (which is the cause of the vast majority of problems -speaking from personal experience here) with electronics, **** happens. Not sayingyou did anything wrong, on the contrary, your was likely meticulous. But, doesn't matter how good a product or brand is, sometimes stuff just fails. To label that brand as no good is Ott in my opinion. Have you ever down with an airline that has never had an accident or driven a car where nine of the components ever failed and then refused to ever use that beans again? Not realistic.

Yup, sometimes S**t fails and I've had a lot of experience with different things doing that. However from the number of burnt up (as in actual flames when failing) Castle ESCs I've seen at the club field and LHS I'd say they have a disproportionally high occurrence of in flight failures, my own experience seems to follow that trend.

The Discovery flew well for several flights and the specs of the rest of the system were well within the published specs for the ESCs. I've had in flight failures of many different components but never one so catastrophic that it caused a critical electrical component to catch fire. Had I not been close enough to run over and yank the battery leads apart it likely would have resulted in a total loss of all components as the battery surely would have been the next thing to ignite.

A simple component failure and crash I can deal with, igniting into flames as I've seen multiple instances of just kills my confidence in a product.

Ken

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Hey, did it ever occur that it might be the mistakes your making or lack of building skills?

Tact my good man. It goes a long, long way. RT has not only been building and flying longer than many of us, but helping people avoid issues like the one here.

I'd say this is a clear cut case of "one burned, twice shy..." LITERALLY :)

fltundra

I spoke with Castle, and they haven't heard from you and your flame out esc's, did you contact them?? If so who?

Last edited by a moderator:

Zirt57

I spoke with Castle, and they haven't heard from you and your flame out esc's, did you contact them?? If so who?

Have you ever heard a company admit to a problem. i.e. "Hey, watch out. Our product might start a fire."

Hell, it took many YouTube videos to surface before Apple admitted to "possible" problems with "some" laptop batteries that "might" cause a fire.

No, Castle is not going to admit to you that they heard of this happening.

Jeff

Posted from my phone using Tapatalk Pro. :)

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Has anyone ever had an issue with throttle send being odd after an upgrade? I just installed the firmware for the standard (for hex) from basic on the FC (followed manual AND SleepyC instructions). Seemed to go well based on the fact hex shows up, software loaded fine etc. rebooted software and changes had written and were present.

calibrated ESCs throttle fine. ESC/motors work fine with throttle cal harness direct from throttle out of RX.

Set up RX with sbus to superx, and ESCS beeping crazy saying throttle is not in the low position. Tried standard servo cables instead of sbus - same beeps. Tried different Tx/RX, no good.

I did did a stock cal hoping that would work - no love.

Seems like the FC to me.

Any thoughts?

thanks

fltundra

Your bashing a company without any proof! If i lost an aircraft to a Castle ESC, I would have made a claim, where's yours? I'm done discussing this with you.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I'm done discussing this with you.

Perfect, since this is the superx thread. :)

Not sure what you're all worked up about unless you work for Castle. Even of you do, RT wasn't whining about it, I really don't see the need for you to. Whether it really happened on a field, or within the confines of his vivid imagination, he got burned by a specific product, he chooses not to use it. His prerogative, his choice. Doesn't need to match your preferences, doesn't need to line up with how you would have handled it.

You're crying foul about something that is unlikely to be solved here, unless RT bronzed the smoked ESC and then did a photo shoot with it, and he can produce said photos (obviously they will be scrutinized for Photoshop shenanigans). He probably could have run and grabbed a Notary and then interviewed the folks who were at the field that day. But I'm not sure you'd trust the validity of a Notary seal....

please, can we move on?

skquad

Has anyone ever had an issue with throttle send being odd after an upgrade? I just installed the firmware for the standard (for hex) from basic on the FC (followed manual AND SleepyC instructions). Seemed to go well based on the fact hex shows up, software loaded fine etc. rebooted software and changes had written and were present.

calibrated ESCs throttle fine. ESC/motors work fine with throttle cal harness direct from throttle out of RX.

Set up RX with sbus to superx, and ESCS beeping crazy saying throttle is not in the low position. Tried standard servo cables instead of sbus - same beeps. Tried different Tx/RX, no good.

I did did a stock cal hoping that would work - no love.

Seems like the FC to me.

Any thoughts?

thanks

You need to recalibrate your sticks for neutral and end point.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
You need to recalibrate your sticks for neutral and end point.

do you mean the superx stick calibration? I did that calibration, but no luck. I also tried another Tx/RX that has worked perfectly with the superx.

Although there are a bunch of new variables, it seems I've narrowed it to the FC. I'm going to go back and redo everything tonight and see what I can come up with.

thanks

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Just redid the stick calibration and now 1 motor only seems to be semi-working. That one is not beeping and will spin. Then I rebooted the MR and that motor wasn't working again. So since the stick cal was the thing that got it going, wondering if there is something too that...but it's beyond me.

Too strange. I am going to try A) programming the ESCs back to default to see if that changes anything (I only changed to the typical MR setup for nimh, brake etc). And B) reflash the software.

If anyone has any other ideas - please, I'm willing to try anything :)

fltundra

Moto,
Check and make sure you have voltage on each + pin on the esc's to FC, with everything plugged in. The SuperX positive pins on the motor outputs do not supply voltage to run your esc's. Do all your esc's have built in bec's?:)

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Tundra:

no they don't have BEC!!!! IM AN IDIOT. I assumed the superx would provide juice because it was directly powered. My multiwii is different.

I'm not in front of the MR right now - but the ESCs are OPTO!!! The weird thing is that the beeping indicates a throttle issue.

Ugh. Kicking myself.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
OK. It turns out that Drew from Xaircraft got back to me and said that the FC should be fine with the Opto. Not sure what to make of that, but....I realized I had the wrong option for the ESC within the software. Changing the option to the alternate (not normal - I think called UltraPWM) stopped the constant beeping.

However, now I get a consistent beep that the ESC manual says is (I think - hard to understand what Hobby Wing means by their "beep" description) "throttle signal lost or irregular." This happens with both sbus and traditional servo lead connection.

This has been tried with sticks inverted and not, with limits (end points) changed to -125/+125 and stock (100), and with trims lowered all the way in small increments to see if I could get the damn beeping to stop.

The Tx controls the flight modes etc in all these configurations.

At a total loss here...

Zirt57

OK. It turns out that Drew from Xaircraft got back to me and said that the FC should be fine with the Opto. Not sure what to make of that, but....I realized I had the wrong option for the ESC within the software. Changing the option to the alternate (not normal - I think called UltraPWM) stopped the constant beeping.

However, now I get a consistent beep that the ESC manual says is (I think - hard to understand what Hobby Wing means by their "beep" description) "throttle signal lost or irregular." This happens with both sbus and traditional servo lead connection.

This has been tried with sticks inverted and not, with limits (end points) changed to -125/+125 and stock (100), and with trims lowered all the way in small increments to see if I could get the damn beeping to stop.

The Tx controls the flight modes etc in all these configurations.

At a total loss here...

Do NOT use UltraPWM. These were a special ESC that XAircraft no longer makes. I've got a few of them hanging around in my storage bins. Change your setup to Standard ESC.

Jeff

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Do NOT use UltraPWM. These were a special ESC that XAircraft no longer makes. I've got a few of them hanging around in my storage bins. Change your setup to Standard ESC.

Jeff

thanks Jeff. I had switched back when drew confirmed it should be standard. Miscommunication between he and I. Figures that's the only thing that stopped the annoying beep.

Problem now is - decided to test the superx back on the other quad/Tx/RX/ESC(with BEC) setup where it worked before. No dice. Same thing as the hex (without the beeps). It starts up. Does it's dance. LED starts showing flight mode correctly etc. no motors/throttle response.

Perhaps the update to Standard went amiss? No idea.

I thought stepping ping away from it last night was a healthy move. Maybe I didn't step FAR enough away??? :)