XAircraft SuperX

SoCal Blur

Sounds like the most expedient way would be to pull the + wire from all 6 JST connectors and tie them directly to the + of your BEC (assuming that you have one). Even if you do it temporarily, it will verify if that is, in fact, the problem. Then you can go back and make it neater. Maybe there is a programming solution that turns on the + in SuperX that just hasn't been found yet?

fltundra

That's exactly what i had to do and verified with castle that it was absolutely fine and if i wanted to i could send in my 3 esc's for exchange for one's with bec's to match my 4th.

Zirt57

All esc's that i no of, have to have 5 volts to run. If none of your esc's have a built in bec 's then you will need an external one.

That could be. But my question is (and it's not directed at you, more of a rhetorical question or a thinking out loud question), why did the OPTO ESCs work with firmware 1.07 and not 1.08. I'm assuming (I know ;-) ) that the guys who had the OPTO ESCs working didn't do any special wiring. But I don't know that for a fact.

Jeff

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Whoa whoa whoa.... Slow down! :)

OK, I mayhave been coming to this very conclusion as these posts were rolling in. What we are saying is that there may be some glitch in the 1.08 firmware that does not allow 5v to pass through the + output on the motor side??? So as SoCal mentions, it may be best to attempt to run a UBEC perhaps, and make a harness to get power to the red wire of the Opto ESCs? Would I make a harness for ground as well? Or leave that in the servo lead to the motor output?

Jeff, I will go read that link....

OK, read the link. It does state there is an arming issue - but doesn't mention opto. That may not rule it out - but might not be conclusive either.

I emailed xaircraft a while ago - haven't heard back yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zirt57

Whoa whoa whoa.... Slow down! :)

OK, I mayhave been coming to this very conclusion as these posts were rolling in. What we are saying is that there may be some glitch in the 1.08 firmware that does not allow 5v to pass through the + output on the motor side??? So as SoCal mentions, it may be best to attempt to run a UBEC perhaps, and make a harness to get power to the red wire of the Opto ESCs? Would I make a harness for ground as well? Or leave that in the servo lead to the motor output?

LOL. OK, OK, just a quick FYI. I left Jingchen a message on QQ (Chinese chat program that they use) about this. I should get an answer tonight when he wakes up. He usually answers me before he goes into work (dedicated guy that he is). I'll leave my computer on and it will "ding" me when he answers.

Jeff

fltundra

Jeff,
I've only had my SuperX for a few months , so i can only tell you guys from my recent experience with having the one motor start problem.
Soon as i got on the phone with castle they new exactly what the problem was and said super X was not the only flight controller with this problem, but we didn't get into that. i was just happy to see 4 motors running.

Zirt57

OK, read the link. It does state there is an arming issue - but doesn't mention opto. That may not rule it out - but might not be conclusive either.

I emailed xaircraft a while ago - haven't heard back yet.

I have exactly the same problem!!

Installed super X Professional on my quad adjusted and setup controls as per manual.

Everything works and flies perfectly as it should. Firmware 1.7. This is the best controller I have ever used very impressed. Well done Xaircraft !!

Decided to upgrade to latest software and firmware 1.08.

Now the ESC.s keep beeping and FC will not arm. I can not calibrate sticks, as rapidly moving mode switch seems to be disabled. The mode functions work (I get correct LED lights in all modes) although the LED is not as bright as with Firmware 1.7

I am using Turnigy Plush 30A ESC.s with Tiger MT2814-11 710kv motors

The controller was bought second hand from another member on here.

He used Hobbywing Platinum-30A-OPTO-PRO ESC's and had the same problem!!

Do you think there is an issue with the FC. and certain ESC's

Jingchen from support@xaircraft.com is aware of the issue but no solution as yet.!!

I have reverted back to previous firmware, and have a copy it you need it.

I highlighted in red above where he mentions using OPTO escs.

Jeff

Zirt57

Jeff,
I've only had my SuperX for a few months , so i can only tell you guys from my recent experience with having the one motor start problem.
Soon as i got on the phone with castle they new exactly what the problem was and said super X was not the only flight controller with this problem, but we didn't get into that. i was just happy to see 4 motors running.

That's good info to know. Thanks. This is when I love the forums. No arguing, just an exchange of info or ideas.

Jeff

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Moto,
Only the positives need to be tied together

You guys rock. I am rocking less quickly.... brain....tired...from research :)

Jeff, thanks for making that call.

Tundra,

If I take my red wires out of each servo lead coming from the motor outputs, and then connect them to a custom power harness - I could then run that power harness off a UBEC providing 5v, correct? And I guess the ground would be handled through the servo leads still connected to the SuperX? So the ESC servo leads white and black would still run to SuperX - but I would sneak the red out and run it down the street to the power grid, tying into the main line and stealing SUPER power for my hex!!!!!...oh wait, did I say that out loud?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I need 1.07!!!!!! What am I doing making crazy harnesses for with a FC that is supposed to be super smooth and simple????

DREW!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

Jeff: not sure how I didn't find that post. I guess searching for "superx OPTO ESC" was too smack dab on the money for google? Anyway - that video is not exactly what I'm getting. I get a much faster beep - but that could be dependent on the particular ESC I guess.

I'm going to PM the guy who said he had the 1.07 that you quoted above?

fltundra

Attachments

• 20140423_145044.jpg
    20140423_145044.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 298

fltundra

let me ask you all something. My superx arrived with 1.08, so I have no comparison. Are there improvements worth keeping or would it be easier to get 1.07 until they sort out this mess?

From what i understand, it justs depend on the FC and Esc, is that there is no standard. Castle told me to leave them and i agreed. They told me the switching built in bec they use was more then adequate to use for the other 3.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
All esc's that i no of, have to have 5 volts to run. If none of your esc's have a built in bec 's then you will need an external one.

All opto ESCs have internal regulators that provide the voltage necessary for its components, the only differences with "standard" ESCs is they do not use high current components as the circuit is not connected to the red wire in the servo lead, all it needs to do is provide power for the processor and a few SMD devices which don't take much current at all to run.

There is no need to tie the Opto ESC leads to a BEC, it does nothing for the ESC. You can run ESCs with just the signal wire, opto or not, I do that on several of my quads to simplify the wiring and yes I've run the SuperX on the single wire ESCs with no problems.

Ken

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
All opto ESCs have internal regulators that provide the voltage necessary for its components, then only differences with "standard" ESCs is they do not use high current components as the circuit is not connected to the red wire in the servo lead, all it needs to do is provide power for the processor and a few SMD devices which don't take much current at all to run.

There is no need to tie the Opto ESC leads to a BEC, it does nothing for the ESC. You can run ESCs with just the signal wire, opto or not, I do that on several of my quads to simplify the wiring and yes I've run the SuperX on the single wire ESCs with no problems.

Ken

Sorry Ken, now I am more confused. Are you saying that these ESCs should be running fine - regardless of the findings of the link that Jeff put here, and Tundra's experience?

Is the answer to just remove the red wire from the ESC servo if using an Opto?

i guess what you're saying is that the signal alone is enough voltage to "lift" or trigger the optical bridge?

Would this just lead me to believe that my ESCs are completely screwed?

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Sorry Ken, now I am more confused. Are you saying that these ESCs should be running fine - regardless of the findings of the link that Jeff put here, and Tundra's experience?

Is the answer to just remove the red wire from the ESC servo if using an Opto?

Would this just lead me to believe that my ESCs are completely screwed?

There is nothing wrong with your ESCs and they certainly do not need to be fed power from a BEC. You can prove that part by simply removing the red wire from the ESC servo connector and connecting it direct to the throttle channel on a RX, power up the ESC (make sure to provide power to the RX too!) and you'll see the ESC still works fine.

The problem I would venture to say is that something in the firmware upgrade has changed the minimum throttle signal output from the SuperX, if it isn't low enough then the ESCs will never arm as the firmware thinks the throttle is not at zero, it's a built in safety feature of the ESC and has nothing to do with opto or not. You already connected one to a RX and it worked as I recall so that proves the ESC works. Connecting it to the SuperX it doesn't, it just beeps, which the ESC way of telling you it isn't seeing the correct low throttle signal.

One thing that can cause this is doing an independent throttle calibration of the ESC direct from the RX and then connecting it to the flight controller, there's no guarantee that the PWM low throttle signal is the same as that output by the FC. If the signal from the RX is lower than what the F/C puts out on the motor port, the ESCs will never initialize because they're waiting to see that lower value signal from the RX. The only way to "fix" a problem like that is to reset the ESC to an uncalibrated state and then they should respond to the low throttle signal from the F/C as the default firmware setting is usually well above what the boards put out, usually somewhere around 1.140 to 1.160ms.

Clearer now?

Ken

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Clearer now?

Ken

Unfortunately, yes. Not what I anted to hear - but I understand what you are saying. :)

Not sure about the "uncalibrated state," because I'm pretty sure this was happening before I calibrated. I've tried so many things in the interim, and the note keeping stopped long ago...

I can reset with the program card, and check to see if it helps at all. Lokks like i'm waiting for an old version of 1.07 or a new version of 1.08....

Thanks for all your help folks.