XAircraft SuperX

coreyperez

Is it possible your GPS puck is not pointing straight? Just another thing to look at.

Jeff

Especially since you said you shipped it. I'd reconfirm that the isogonic lines/area isn't throwing it off and causing the issue. How far did you ship it? The magnetic variation could be causing it.

Corey

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Do you have to enter the magnetic declination in the SuperX? Regardless, sending anything as far as Hawaii would likely make calibration VERY different than your location (I think I recall you're in California?).

kloner

Aerial DP
sent him the message to increasing yaw gains and to try gps calibration..... suppose to upload logs when he's done. there 3 hours behind us so it will be a bit, stay tuned

my concern is this guy is baller..... he lives on top of JAWS and they get some really big surf. he's updating from a quad and hero to this and a gh3/4.... i'm thinking he goes and gets into the winds from the pounding surf this thing is gonna be a handful so am trying to get him dialed in remotely with a better chance to get it back..... that yaw has me nervous

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
sent him the message to increasing yaw gains and to try gps calibration..... suppose to upload logs when he's done. there 3 hours behind us so it will be a bit, stay tuned

my concern is this guy is baller..... he lives on top of JAWS and they get some really big surf. he's updating from a quad and hero to this and a gh3/4.... i'm thinking he goes and gets into the winds from the pounding surf this thing is gonna be a handful so am trying to get him dialed in remotely with a better chance to get it back..... that yaw has me nervous

Too weird! I just watched Riding Giants again last night. Unbelievable current footage and the historical stuff is amazing. That surf (and the corrosponding wind) will be a handful!!!! Definitely need to have that rig sorted to stand a chance against that turbulence :)

coreyperez

I don't know if there is a way to dial it in, but with the NAZA (different beast, I know) you have to turn the "forward" facing wire to compensate (toilet bowl effect). I don't know if there is a similarity between the two units.

Just gee wiz info, both a friend of mine and I had "severe" drifts with our NAZA units while almost 100KM apart, (in Korea) yesterday...

Corey

kloner

Aerial DP
that's declination and his is straight, for sure......

i'll have him do some gps vs atti and see if theres a difference.... good ideas guys, thanks

he did some footage yesterday hovering and the stupid alexmos brushless gimbal hides it all..... crazy smooth stuff, killer gh3 look in hawaii, i better not go there, might not come back.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
that's declination and his is straight, for sure......

i'll have him do some gps vs atti and see if theres a difference.... good ideas guys, thanks

he did some footage yesterday hovering and the stupid alexmos brushless gimbal hides it all..... crazy smooth stuff, killer gh3 look in hawaii, i better not go there, might not come back.

That's the only state of the 50 I have not been to - and like you, I'm afraid I would never return.

Good luck with troubleshooting long-distance.....hmmm, you might need to head over to help him out :)

I'm building an X8 and haven't been able to find the best ESC settings for the SuperX flight controller.
The options:
Brake (Off, I assume)
Battery type (NiMH, I assume, so ESC doesn't shut down if voltage low)
Cutoff Mode (soft, I assume)
Start Mode ??(options are normal, soft, very soft)
Advanced Timing ??(options from 0-26 degrees),
Governor Mode (Off, I assume),
PWM frequency ?? (12 or 8 kHz),
BEC output ?? (5.25 or 6 volt)

1. Brake = Off
2. Battery type = NiMh
3. Cut off = soft cut
4. Cut off voltage = Low
5. Start up mode = Normal
6. Timings = Medium
8. Governor mode = Off
9. PWM = 8khz
10. BEC Output = NONE. It does not need a BEC since you run power from your battery and I would recommend cutting your hot wires to be safe.

anybody got advice for a superX that is is getting uncommanded yaw? heres the logs, you see the heading bouncing all around. the movement comes from a 3 axis gimbal that hooks wind and prys the airframe into yawing.... i've seen it before on this same airframe with naza.... props too lite? not enough torque?

http://log.xaircraft.com/#2014_03_15_161627.000_20.1.05.53

I would have him upgrade to 1.08 since he is running 1.07. There were a number of stability improvements in the new firmware that may address the issue. It also looks like motors are outputting at 60%+ and vibrations are on the high side of OK which usually means a prop or two is out of balance or not level (which could certainly explain the yaw). It is slightly underpowered for the flight weight from motor outputs. I always like to see average outputs closer to 50%. Has he flown in GPS mode? I would be interested to see if it does it there as well.

octocine

1. Brake = Off
2. Battery type = NiMh
3. Cut off = soft cut
4. Cut off voltage = Low
5. Start up mode = Normal
6. Timings = Medium
8. Governor mode = Off
9. PWM = 8khz
10. BEC Output = NONE. It does not need a BEC since you run power from your battery and I would recommend cutting your hot wires to be safe.

Thanks Drew! For those who are doing this procedure, I was a little unsure about cutting the hot wire on ESC. I found others were able to pull the center pin out of the ESC connector and tape it to the wire so if they need to use the ESCs on another system, it's relatively straight forward to plug it back in.

yeehaanow

That's what I do, too. Just put a little heat shrink around the end so that it can't short. I would avoid tape because of the residue it leaves eventually.

octocine

Well, I'm feeling pretty stupid after reading all of these posts about how easy SuperXis to set up. At first, all seemed easy enough. I assembled and got through all of the calibrations successfully. On the first flight, a very light helicopter barely lifted off the ground and I later assumed that was because I had not calibrated the ESCs to my throttle. After two more days of struggling, I managed to complete that task and confirmed that all of the ESCs are working through the full range of throttle and all of the props are spinning the correct way. When I reassembled and powered the unit I get rapid red lights blinking and beeping. The manual says the rapid red light means System error: module communication failure or RC signalincorrect or Strong interference of magnetic happens in GPS Mode. I re-checked all of the connections, but can't think what else to try. Suggestions?

kloner

Aerial DP
have you calibrated the superX yet? sounds like a bad calibration..... maybe Drew can post his cali procedure video

octocine

have you calibrated the superX yet? sounds like a bad calibration..... maybe Drew can post his cali procedure video

yes, I've watched the video and calibrated successfully. I think I've found the answer! Though I calibrated the ESCs to the throttle throw on my Spektrum DX8 transmitter, it seems that for some reason the ESCs still thought they were not at the zero setting when I connected the battery and this caused the rapid warning beep. To solve this I found a small shim (turns out the bind plug is just the right thickness to leave a little extra room when I move the throttle to the lowest setting. I recalibrated all the of the ESCs to throttle settings with the slightly adjusted lower setting and it solved the problem. Earlier, I tired to adjust the throttle settings in the DX8 menu to overcome the problem by changing the end points, but this method did not work for me. Perhaps somebody else knows a way to accomplish this without using a shim to adjust the low throttle setting?

kloner

Aerial DP
if these are simonK, you need to find the tutorial on calibrating with spektrum.... think you gotta increase end points sot 110 on both ends, calibrate, then replace the endpoint in the radio back to 100 and fly

octocine

if these are simonK, you need to find the tutorial on calibrating with spektrum.... think you gotta increase end points sot 110 on both ends, calibrate, then replace the endpoint in the radio back to 100 and fly

Thanks, that sounds like a great idea.

The ESCs that I'm using are Freefly, but that's not much help because they don't reveal who makes them and they don't have any info on them on their website.

kloner

Aerial DP
there all the same, from :45 seconds on is all about you

but you gotta do it with the endpoints changed then put em back to use them

Last edited by a moderator:

PhilippeN

Hello,

We made a small Video in the Swiss Alps, It is made with a SuperX in a X650Pro

Enjoy,

Philippe

Last edited by a moderator: