Zero UAV Zero UAV YS-X6 [Owners Thread] *Autopilot system for multirotors*

Thanks, I will try the PC connection to get the serial. Yes the LED is solid blue. I havnt got the kit here so will try tomorrow, thanks Nic

robone

Thanks, I will try the PC connection to get the serial. Yes the LED is solid blue. I havnt got the kit here so will try tomorrow, thanks Nic

If the light is solid blue then it is connected and it should be working. So, it is not a serial number problem.

Cant take the credit for answering you mate, it was Rob... :)
Sorry Rob.
yes light turns solid when I turn on the router. I can connect fine via USB. I have tried 2 differen routers, a galaxy S2 as well as a Asus Transformer on the android side. And I have also tried hotspotting the galaxy.
No luck, it all seems to be connected, in fact I know it is, but there is no response. None of th elittle numbers toggle as they should.
I am thinking I am missing something obvious, like in th ePC software I had to click "Open data connection" under the File Tab. There is no reference to this I can find in the manual and it stumped me for a few minutes. I cannot find any similar "open data" button on the android, but maybe I am missing something?

nicwilke

Sorry Rob.
yes light turns solid when I turn on the router. I can connect fine via USB. I have tried 2 differen routers, a galaxy S2 as well as a Asus Transformer on the android side. And I have also tried hotspotting the galaxy.
No luck, it all seems to be connected, in fact I know it is, but there is no response. None of th elittle numbers toggle as they should.
I am thinking I am missing something obvious, like in th ePC software I had to click "Open data connection" under the File Tab. There is no reference to this I can find in the manual and it stumped me for a few minutes. I cannot find any similar "open data" button on the android, but maybe I am missing something?

So, you have entered the password on android phone, and connecting to the YS network? Then have you tried opening the GCS app and tapping install guide?

nicwilke

yeah that worked! Didnt click "Install guide" Thanks I knew it must be something blindingly obvious, couldnt find that bit in the manual though!:shame:

The manual is terrible, it's the only thing that let's it down. Do your esc calibration well, and the compass calibration after you do the setup. Here if you need me later. Good luck.

robone

Thats where most people have a problem...with the Throttle/ESC calibration and the compass calibration. Some also have a problem with the channel config....

Thats where most people have a problem...with the Throttle/ESC calibration and the compass calibration. Some also have a problem with the channel config....

Maybe I will come round and see you and you can help me out! I will be in Johannesburg in Feb.
I notice that the very first picture on your home page is my octocopter! (The actual one..I built a prototype and that is the picture that I sent Alex of VulcanUAV and uavshop)

robone

Maybe I will come round and see you and you can help me out! I will be in Johannesburg in Feb.
I notice that the very first picture on your home page is my octocopter! (The actual one..I built a prototype and that is the picture that I sent Alex of VulcanUAV and uavshop)

I sincerely hope that by February you have flown a bit with the YS-X6 :) and won't need any help.

Its a good picture of your Vulcan Octocopter. Alex sent it to me and said I could use it. It will look better when you have the YS-X6 on it though.

Let me know when you get here and we can meet up.

Cheers
Rob

Yes hope to have it flying by then! Can't do anything for the next coupla weeks as I am away. Which part of Joburg are you? I stay in Cedar Lakes at Fourways.

robone

Hi Chris

I live in Parkwood.

Just setting up my system so that I don't need to take a router with me wherever I go.

Getting the wifi hotspot on my HTC 7" tablet working, was a piece of cake, and now I am looking for a container to take a Data link, the wifi module, a 3S lipo and my Tablet....and to store some extra batteries and my fatshark goggles.....all to make the whole system portable. As I was typing this, I thought I may as well get one that takes the Tx too.

Using the data link will increase my flying range to between 2-3km, so flying in the usual range of 100-150m, the data link will ensure that I should never lose the signal.

Rob

I will deffo try and look you up when I get to JNB in Feb. I havnt managed to get the hotspot feature working yet. It would be best on my tablet because the cellphone battery gets flattened in no time at all when I have gt it in Hotspot mode. I was wondering whether t get any addons. The datalink sounds good, although I dont really like to have all that kit flying out of sight! I have got Fatshark goggles but they make me feel ill when I put them on.:cold:

nicwilke

Hi Chris

I live in Parkwood.

Just setting up my system so that I don't need to take a router with me wherever I go.

Getting the wifi hotspot on my HTC 7" tablet working, was a piece of cake, and now I am looking for a container to take a Data link, the wifi module, a 3S lipo and my Tablet....and to store some extra batteries and my fatshark goggles.....all to make the whole system portable. As I was typing this, I thought I may as well get one that takes the Tx too.

Using the data link will increase my flying range to between 2-3km, so flying in the usual range of 100-150m, the data link will ensure that I should never lose the signal.

Rob

Hey Rob,
I need to have my Android phone talk directly to the WiFi module that is connected to the data link. It doesn't work. Is there anyway to do this on a phone?
Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

robone

Hey Rob,
I need to have my Android phone talk directly to the WiFi module that is connected to the data link. It doesn't work. Is there anyway to do this on a phone?
Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Hi Nic

All I did was set up the hotspot on my android tablet. The IP address was 192.168.1.1 and the name to YS-X6-xxxxxxx (xxxxx=serial #) and I checked that the security settings were WPA2-PSK-AES and with the right password and then switched on everything and it linked. I am sure the Samsung works the same.

Rob

robone

I will deffo try and look you up when I get to JNB in Feb. I havnt managed to get the hotspot feature working yet. It would be best on my tablet because the cellphone battery gets flattened in no time at all when I have gt it in Hotspot mode. I was wondering whether t get any addons. The datalink sounds good, although I dont really like to have all that kit flying out of sight! I have got Fatshark goggles but they make me feel ill when I put them on.:cold:

I have just ordered 2 Power Management Modules for one of my customers. I will get feedback from him when he has them set up.

As for fatshark goggles, I also feel a bit ill when I put them on, but I am trying to get used to them :)

If you want a data link for $99, post a video of your YS-X6 in action here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1703032 . You will also have to pay for the shipping cost but it is a lot cheaper then the MSRP of $199

Rob

robone

Just for interest here is a pic of my GCS setup in a small aluminium case. The antennas fold down into the case for travelling.

View attachment 6539

Attachments

• IMG_0420.JPG
    IMG_0420.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 364

nicwilke

Just for interest here is a pic of my GCS setup in a small aluminium case. The antennas fold down into the case for travelling.

View attachment 8572
Excellent setup rob... Does the tablet connect to the wifi module so that you can use GCS on the tablet only? I'm having difficulties getting my phone to talk to the wifi/datalink ground package (they are in a box similar). Do you need a hotspot to connect the GCS via wifi to the wifi module in your case? Grrrrr. I'm a little frustrated now, as I've stupidly left the router in the field several weeks ago and dont want to purchase another router.

Rob, a really nice easy to set up and use rig...thats what it should be like....I'm envious. How can we in the UK achieve similar ranges (2- 3 Km) as the achievable distances are 300-500 meters with the 2.4ghz wifi down link and although retailers sell them here we supposedly are not able legally to use the 900mhz Data Links ?