Zero UAV Zero UAV YS-X6 [Owners Thread] *Autopilot system for multirotors*

johnno

Hi Nic,
thankyou for your explanation but I still cant see why you need the router I can only think in computer terms were you have a Wireless Modem and a Laptop/Ipad/Iphone and it all works no need for any extra routers unless you want to extend range then you add a Repeater or bridge, but I suppose the logic is that you are likely to get out of range without the router and it is a safeguard. Just makes the ground station bigger and bigger I dont know whether you have seen some of the videos from AliShanMao but he carried it all on his back but now hes got a tablet and the ground station is in his car anyway Ill shut up now,
Cheers,

nicwilke

Hi Nic,
thankyou for your explanation but I still cant see why you need the router I can only think in computer terms were you have a Wireless Modem and a Laptop/Ipad/Iphone and it all works no need for any extra routers unless you want to extend range then you add a Repeater or bridge, but I suppose the logic is that you are likely to get out of range without the router and it is a safeguard. Just makes the ground station bigger and bigger I dont know whether you have seen some of the videos from AliShanMao but he carried it all on his back but now hes got a tablet and the ground station is in his car anyway Ill shut up now,
Cheers,

You don't need a router.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

johnno

Android and iPhone/Ipad app for forums. Makes this forum easy and get push notifications on answers and subscribed threads.
Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
All this Hi tech stuff Nic did you contact Dragon RC? one question to get movies on here do you upload to youtube then link to here or is there a better way?

Last edited by a moderator:

nicwilke

All this Hi tech stuff Nic did you contact Dragon RC? one question to get movies on here do you upload to youtube then link to here or is there a better way?

No, didn't contact Dragon RC, I use Multirotortech in Sydney for my ZeroTech needs. Load your youtube video by copying the url then clicking the little video icon on reply here.

johnno

SBus

Zero Uav tends to favour the Futaba's SBus System does anyone know their reasoning behind this apart from speed and convenience,Johnno.

YS-X6 Questions

Hi Guys,

I'm new here and come from only a 12 month background in RC planes so still relatively new to things. I'm a photographer and getting my DSLR airborne has now become my priority and I've nearly completed my first hex build to carry my DSLR.

I have a few questions but just in case it helps answer them my build has the following setup:

- Zero UAV YS-X6 control system
- hex 800mm span carbon frame
- 35-36 900kv motors
- 12-4.5 props
- 30A plush ESCs
- 2 x 4500mah 3S batts in parallel
- DSLR camera gimbal
- Fat shark FPV
- self built retractable landing gear
- total flying weight around 4kg

My questions in no particular order are as follows:

1. What transmitter are you folk using? I currently use the Turnigy 9x for my planes but I've recently noticed it only has one 3-way switch and from what I've now gathered from the badly written ys-x6 manual I will need two 3way switches. Is there a way around this? Can I set it up using a 3 way and a 2 way. Can I for example, leave out the "manual" setting from ch5 by having a two way switch with options of 1. stabilisation mode and 2. GPS mode. So it always starts up on stabilization mode and then switch to GPS mode (I can't see myself trying to full-manually fly it anyway). Then I can use the 3 way to select the GPS modes. Will this work? If I absolutely need two 3way switches I'm going to have to buy another transmitter (grrr). If so what are you guys using?

2. Wifi: I initially when buying the ys-x6 I assumed you could do all the operational and setup stuff that is via android/pc using the built in wifi from the device direct to the ys-x6 system. Now its seems everyone is talking about wifi routers. Even Ali's videos have a router twice the size of his transmitter in the setup. Is this really required? It seems cumbersome to say the least. If so what is everyone here using as its something else I didn't consider. Also does anyone know the wifi range of the setup is out of the box?

3. Data Radios: Ali in his setup vids talks about the Zero-UAV data radios which you can by seperately to get 3-5km wifi range which interest me greatly. I can't find them on the ZeroUav website though. Is anyone here using them and where can they be purchased?

4. ESC red wires: Do they always need to be cut? I'm using turnigy plush 30A.

5 S-bus: Might be a dumb question but what is S-bus? I haven't encountered it before.

Any help will be appreciated. Its taken me 6 weeks or so already to build this thing (in my spare time) and I can't wait to get it up and running and doing what its capable of. I just need to get past some stumbling blocks first as I want to do a good job of the build and setup.

Cheers :shame:

johnno

Hi their Paddock Flyer, Im fairly new at this side of RC control done AC, Cars, Boats, and the little Helis so a Lots of guys out there will give you in depth answers but I can give you some basics your Turnigy is very basic and from what I have seen Futaba 10chg-cag seems to be the go because it has S Bus on it as well. SBus basically sends multi channels down a single wire to Hubs where it is then divided into 3 or 4 seperate feeds if you were using servos you need a special servo as it is programmed to become a particular channel your best bet is to go on the Futaba web site and they have a guy that goes into a lot of detail. the Futaba receiver will also handle analogue servos so it looks to be the way to go and you end up with less clutter of wires. Your ESC thing if your esc has an inbuilt BEC which is battery eliminator circuit you need to cut the red wire I think the turnigy Plush have a BEC what the issue is that if you have a battery supplying power to the receiver and you connect up an esc and its has a bec then you putting 2 seperate voltages into the receiver and you could end up frying it. Data radios YS have there own brand at 900Mkz giving you a couple of klm in range wifi is very limited on its own in range hence the router which is configured as a bridge but still is limited to 100's of metres the best is the data link air to ground then ground to ground hard wired to wifi then to your android one thing you havnt mentioned is whether you intend to go FPV and thats another story not difficult just more gear and Money. cause thats what this game is all about spending Money, If I can be any more help let me Know

1. Futaba 10chg-cag seems to be the go because it has S Bus on it as well. SBus basically sends multi channels down a single wire to Hubs where it is then divided into 3 or 4 seperate feeds if you were using servos you need a special servo as it is programmed to become a particular channel your best bet is to go on the Futaba web site and they have a guy that goes into a lot of detail. ........

2. I think the turnigy Plush have a BEC what the issue is that if you have a battery supplying power to the receiver and you connect up an esc and its has a bec then you putting 2 seperate voltages into the receiver and you could end up frying it.....

3. Data radios YS have there own brand at 900Mkz giving you a couple of klm in range wifi is very limited on its own in range hence the router which is configured as a bridge but still is limited to 100's of metres the best is the data link air to ground then ground to ground hard wired to wifi then to your android.......

4. one thing you havnt mentioned is whether you intend to go FPV and thats another story not difficult just more gear and Money. cause thats what this game is all about spending Money, If I can be any more help let me Know

Thanks Johnno,

1. I'll check out the Futaba. I'm also checking out the Spektrum Dx8. I've also posted the transmitter question on a Turnigy 9x forum to see if I can programme a dial pot to become a three way switch.

2. You've clarified the ESC thing for me. Thanks, I'll cut the reds tomorrow.

3. I definitely like the idea of the data radios. I'll see if I can find them. If anyone has a link to them feel free to share it.

4. I menioned FPV in the opening list but I'm not using it to fly. I'll be using the fatshark fpv to view the rear of the DSLr in live view so I can compose my photos from the ground before using an IR servo-wired trigger to trip the shutter.

johnno

Hi Paddock Flier, Just for curiosity sake what brand of frame are you using? I am waiting patiently for a UAV ZERO-Steadi470
He is a link to the 90 mkz Data link devices
http://multirotor.co.za/?wpsc-product=zero-uav-data-link its an African site so the money is strange but there is a compamy in aust that have them for $199 but they should be available everywhere but like most of their stuff its all on backorder.
Cheers Johnno.

Last edited by a moderator:

jcampen

I just successfully changed the IP range of the wifi module so my GCS on android communicates direct to the data link connected wifi module. No hot spot or router needed as the phone hotspot is talking to the module.

Can you show how you did this?

nicwilke

1. Change the IP range on the WiFi unit.
First be sure that you have connection to the WiFi-link, easiest to use a router and your PC on the existing YS-X6-XXXXX network we have all made up. Then in your we browser, type URL as 192.168.1.254 this wil show you the login screen of the wifi link.
username and password are the same: "admin"

Once inside the wifi link, Change on the top to English for easier reading ;)

At the top right of the screen, go to setup (3rd link accross) and then scroll down and change the local IP to your desired IP address and press SAVE (for the Galaxy series TAB2/S3 make it: 192.168.43.254 )

Re-power the wifi unit and you should be able to connect directly your Samsung or any other device that use the same IP range x.x.43.x
I use an app called FoxFi, its simply an app to shortcut the 'activation' of the hotspot.
If you have any issues in connecting the phone to the ground datalink via the wifi module, you may need to go into the GCS app, and in the settings (network settings) change the network IP to 192.168.43.254.

Any issues, remember that once changed, the wifi module will have the new address, so write it with permanent pen on the bottom of the unit so you dont forget.

Does this help fellas? :thumbup:

robone

I will put my answer next to it.

1. What transmitter are you folk using? I currently use the Turnigy 9x for my planes but I've recently noticed it only has one 3-way switch and from what I've now gathered from the badly written ys-x6 manual I will need two 3way switches. Is there a way around this? Can I set it up using a 3 way and a 2 way. Can I for example, leave out the "manual" setting from ch5 by having a two way switch with options of 1. stabilisation mode and 2. GPS mode. So it always starts up on stabilization mode and then switch to GPS mode (I can't see myself trying to full-manually fly it anyway). Then I can use the 3 way to select the GPS modes. Will this work? If I absolutely need two 3way switches I'm going to have to buy another transmitter (grrr). If so what are you guys using?

I am using a Futaba 7C which has 1 3 way switch and 1 2 way switch. You don't need what is called the stabilisation mode (Manual Mode 2) as this is really just an altitude hold mode. I fly in Manual mode 1 which has full attitude mode and then switch to GPS mode.

2. Wifi: I initially when buying the ys-x6 I assumed you could do all the operational and setup stuff that is via android/pc using the built in wifi from the device direct to the ys-x6 system. Now its seems everyone is talking about wifi routers. Even Ali's videos have a router twice the size of his transmitter in the setup. Is this really required? It seems cumbersome to say the least. If so what is everyone here using as its something else I didn't consider. Also does anyone know the wifi range of the setup is out of the box?

The easiest solution is a wifi router, and unless you are going the data link route, using a router will at least give you a bit more range.

3. Data Radios: Ali in his setup vids talks about the Zero-UAV data radios which you can by seperately to get 3-5km wifi range which interest me greatly. I can't find them on the ZeroUav website though. Is anyone here using them and where can they be purchased?

All the distributors sell them, although, in most countries they are illegal, which means Europe and the UK

4. ESC red wires: Do they always need to be cut? I'm using turnigy plush 30A.

Yes as power comes from the AP unit. Dont cut them, just remove them from the plug and seal them. Maybe you want to use the ESC with another setup later.

5 S-bus: Might be a dumb question but what is S-bus? I haven't encountered it before.

This has already been answered

Cheers Rob

robone

Hi Paddock Flier, Just for curiosity sake what brand of frame are you using? I am waiting patiently for a UAV ZERO-Steadi470
He is a link to the 90 mkz Data link devices
http://multirotor.co.za/?wpsc-product=zero-uav-data-link its an African site so the money is strange but there is a compamy in aust that have them for $199 but they should be available everywhere but like most of their stuff its all on backorder.
Cheers Johnno.

LOL...I always thought the Ausi dollar was strange

jrlederer

Anyone able to tell me how to get this YS-X6 to work with Castle Creations Ice ESCs? Everything else is working except for one crucial element: can't get motors to arm successfully. Pissing me off very much. Thanks in advance!

nicwilke

Anyone able to tell me how to get this YS-X6 to work with Castle Creations Ice ESCs? Everything else is working except for one crucial element: can't get motors to arm successfully. Pissing me off very much. Thanks in advance!

J.R, what frequency are the ICE ESC's?

Hi Paddock Flier,

1. Just for curiosity sake what brand of frame are you using?

2. Here is a link to the 90 mkz Data link devices http://multirotor.co.za/?wpsc-product=zero-uav-data-link ... but like most of their stuff its all on backorder.

Thanks Johnno,

1. I'm using the Talon V2 hex from HobbyKing with custom longer arms to achieve an 800mm motor to motor size. I've custom fabricated the decks and landing gear using random part from other frames available on HK.

2. Thanks. I don't backorder anything though. I'll try and find another supplier. Looks like the xbee Pro900 does the same thing. I'm looking into them too.