Zero UAV Zero UAV YS-X6 [Owners Thread] *Autopilot system for multirotors*

w2hef

Also... a little confused... i should be able to use my Spektrum dx8... cuz in the manual it says it's coming soon?

nicwilke

Ok... I will still be able to fly the quad if i'm fairly close to it with just the 'HOTSPOT' mode first though correct?
When using the waypoints or to activate features like carefree, you will need to be in range of the wifi. Dont be confused that the multirotor flting is limited to wifi range. You can fly it (mostly as I do) by Tx. I use Manual 1, Manual 2 (baro height hold) and GPS features with transmitter mostly. I hardly use the waypoints. I have the data link that only gives you the additional range of having live feedback or program-ability from a distance. As as long as you set your 4 waypoints within the 100m range, you wont have any problems. The YS doesnt need the wifi to complete the waypoints, only to upload and confirm, and to set the 1st waypoint (will wait for confirmed comand to fly the rest of the route by telling it via wifi to go to point 2, and it'll do the rest autonomously. If you want to see the little airplane on the google map move on all waypoints, you'll need wifi reception, but trust me, you wont be looking at a phone/tablet... Heheh.

The additional features like power management module ($111 part) will use wifi or data link to report the battery level/usage back to the phone, and vibrte when reaching a low point.

Be sure of one thing... Get a GPS lock before you go up. Make sure you are 100% its got GPS reception as if not, it'll RTC not RTH (Auto land).
See some of my tests here mate

If you need any help, PM me. Im no expert, but went through the process of knowing nothing to what I know now (lots).

Last edited by a moderator:

robone

I agree with Nic. I hardly use Waypoints at all, and all my flying is done with the Tx. I use the Tablet at the start to check that I have the number of Satellites locked in and to check that the system is working. I also use the Tablet to check battery voltage while its up in the air.

nicwilke

I agree with Nic. I hardly use Waypoints at all, and all my flying is done with the Tx. I use the Tablet at the start to check that I have the number of Satellites locked in and to check that the system is working. I also use the Tablet to check battery voltage while its up in the air.

Yeah, Datalink is worth getting simply for telemetry purposes like Rob mentioned.
I would like to start to use PTZ heading lock, so will need the phone for that.

robone

I am working up to flying totally using the Tablet, but, it is still something foreign to me. I am a control freak, so I need the Tx. Plus, when I use the tablet, I tend to accidentally touch the screen where I shouldn't :)

w2hef

Awesome... thanks for the information... Will I be able to use my Spektrum DX8... read something in the manual Spektrum coming soon.?

I also have my iphone 4s tethered to my ipad.... Most of my quads are so unruly that's really hard to fly them sometimes... I'm looking forward to a better
stable platform so I can screw on a nice camera. Of course after some extensive practice... Looks like a great system.

:) howie

When using the waypoints or to activate features like carefree, you will need to be in range of the wifi. Dont be confused that the multirotor flting is limited to wifi range. You can fly it (mostly as I do) by Tx. I use Manual 1, Manual 2 (baro height hold) and GPS features with transmitter mostly. I hardly use the waypoints. I have the data link that only gives you the additional range of having live feedback or program-ability from a distance. As as long as you set your 4 waypoints within the 100m range, you wont have any problems. The YS doesnt need the wifi to complete the waypoints, only to upload and confirm, and to set the 1st waypoint (will wait for confirmed comand to fly the rest of the route by telling it via wifi to go to point 2, and it'll do the rest autonomously. If you want to see the little airplane on the google map move on all waypoints, you'll need wifi reception, but trust me, you wont be looking at a phone/tablet... Heheh.

The additional features like power management module ($111 part) will use wifi or data link to report the battery level/usage back to the phone, and vibrte when reaching a low point.

Be sure of one thing... Get a GPS lock before you go up. Make sure you are 100% its got GPS reception as if not, it'll RTC not RTH (Auto land).
See some of my tests here mate

If you need any help, PM me. Im no expert, but went through the process of knowing nothing to what I know now (lots).

Did you get it yet? How's the experience been so far?

I just received it thru my mail, i should say, not a single instruction sheet given inside the box.
When i went to the website to try to download the manual, it was mostly in chinese, i can locate the installation manual and softwares.
Pretty disappointed at the moment.

Anyone know where to get the English manual and software required ?

Thanks

robone

Awesome... thanks for the information... Will I be able to use my Spektrum DX8... read something in the manual Spektrum coming soon.?

I also have my iphone 4s tethered to my ipad.... Most of my quads are so unruly that's really hard to fly them sometimes... I'm looking forward to a better
stable platform so I can screw on a nice camera. Of course after some extensive practice... Looks like a great system.

:) howie

If you use a normal Rx it will be okay. the manual says "JR Satellites;the current firmware does not support JR Satellites temporarily, but later firmware will support."

Rob

nicwilke

I just received it thru my mail, i should say, not a single instruction sheet given inside the box.
When i went to the website to try to download the manual, it was mostly in chinese, i can locate the installation manual and softwares.
Pretty disappointed at the moment.

Anyone know where to get the English manual and software required ?

Thanks

Believe us, the disappointment will be short lived. You will struggle a little to set it up, don't rush. Ask plenty of questions.
What ESC 's are you using?

Has any one tested ys-x6 with 5s or 6s batteries?
Im interested in finding out if its stable with 5 cell or 6 cell batteries and 14" props for a cinestar 8.

Cheers

nicwilke

Has any one tested ys-x6 with 5s or 6s batteries?
Im interested in finding out if its stable with 5 cell or 6 cell batteries and 14" props for a cinestar 8.

Cheers

Hi Ryan,
I know a guy in Canada who has the YS on 6s Keith a cinestar. He's impressed. Get the mag dec correct and the compass cal spot on, and it works great.

robone

Whats the mag dec?

How does the voltage effect the compass?

Magnetic Declination

And the voltage should not have an impact on the Compass, unless the two are right next too each other.

The system is designed to take up to 6S. Have not tried it myself though.

w2hef

Just got my kit in the post.... woooo hoooo!

Can I hook the electronics up to the computer without battery to check for firmware version and set up the quad?

Howie

robone

Just got my kit in the post.... woooo hoooo!

Can I hook the electronics up to the computer without battery to check for firmware version and set up the quad?

Howie

Yes you can, however you need the system set up and connected to a battery. You must hook the cable up to Com3 and use your PC GCS....the info is shown in Other Data Tab on bottom left.

Cheers
Rob

w2hef

Ok... i just got the package and i'm at work so no quad or battery with me... I thought if I downloaded the PC program that just by hooking up the COM cable to PC i would be able to get power
but it's no USB so there would be NO power on the COM... i'll wait till i get home later.. :(

nicwilke

Ok... i just got the package and i'm at work so no quad or battery with me... I thought if I downloaded the PC program that just by hooking up the COM cable to PC i would be able to get power
but it's no USB so there would be NO power on the COM... i'll wait till i get home later.. :(

Just read the manual, do your setup correctly, and you will be fine. Dont put props on till you know its all good. Let us know if we can help.