Qav500 builds

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Tim,

lets me point out at the beginning that the crash has nothing to do with your frame or the vibration free or dirty zone etc. I really like your frame the layout, the amount of space to place components, the vibration dampening etc.

Out of experience having down several WKM builds WKM compared to NAZA actually signalizes a bad attitude status by giving white blinks. One of the reasons for this to happen is that the IMU is mounted to loose on the frame or to thick servos tape was used etc. Now the WKM and the NAZA have a very similar approach to protecting their sensor from vibrations: (strategy behind it i guess, one less thing to worry about for the customers.)

WKM: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1510587

NAZA: View attachment 5481 sensor board on or wrapped into this foam etc.

With all this i don't want to say that mounting the Naza in the vibration free zone on the QAV500 will decrease the flight experience and lead to these oscillations that I have experienced. At the beginning it was my believe but my oscillation at full throttle flight attitude mode or manual didn't go away when the NAZA was hard mounted in the dirty zone or in the vibration free zone. The problem must be somewhere else.

Summing it up though i think that other FCs that don't have vibration dampening in their housing probably benefit more from the vibration free zone. Naza seems reboust to it or at least thats my feeling.

Once more to explain were my thoughts are coming from. This happened to me having the WKM IMU mounted in a CX4 were the plate were the IMU was mounted was able to move 1mm up and down since i forgot to tighten a single screw. Very similar to what i though i was experiencing with the QAC500 and naza at full throttle flight.

Tim I would like to order spares from you website to get in the air again, but i can't find the vibration dampeners on your site. I would need one piece and four arms.

Thanks Boris,

Attachments

• dsc-3458.jpg
    dsc-3458.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 283
Last edited by a moderator:

meme

Hi Boris,

today was my turn:
Had 2 great LR Flights in the Noon, but when checking the video i saw some vibras. Made some changes to the Mount and started for a quick test flight at home.View attachment 5501View attachment 5502
Shortly before landing the Naza started acting crazy and drifting hard to the left, there was no way to control it anymore, nothing worked, also switching fro GPS to ATTI and Failsafe. I gave WOT and the Motors responded but the Disco continued to drift even more to the left. Than i lost LOS.

The Discovery came done on my Neighbors Roof head down for about 50 meters in WOT.
Two Arms, 4 Props are gone, 2 brand-new MT2216 gone, TBS 69 is missing, recovered the Gopro down the Roof in 3 Pieces, unfortunately the SD Card is missing.

BR, meme

Attachments

• disco2.jpg
    disco2.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 313
  • disco.jpg
    disco.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 307

meme

Have to say that had similar problems here when flying at home , and only here. But that was flying in straight LOS, not FPV and i managed to bring it down safe. Had those probs only here at home btw.

kloner

Aerial DP
wonder if your in the uhf null by accident, antenna pointing straight at it or then rx sanders pointat you down the bottom.

is there rssi logging in either of yours or just the core?

meme

sorry, cannot understand your question, kloner :)
I had about 50 flights with that configuration with some 4 km out and 500 meters alti gain w/o problems. I have the RSSI Values of the EZUHF , but was never over 25

meme

wonder if your in the uhf null by accident, antenna pointing straight at it or then rx sanders pointat you down the bottom.

is there rssi logging in either of yours or just the core?

now i understand... no, i do not think that that was the prob. had a lot of similar situations w/o probs

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Boris,

today was my turn:
Had 2 great LR Flights in the Noon, but when checking the video i saw some vibras. Made some changes to the Mount and started for a quick test flight at home.View attachment 7331View attachment 7332
Shortly before landing the Naza started acting crazy and drifting hard to the left, there was no way to control it anymore, nothing worked, also switching fro GPS to ATTI and Failsafe. I gave WOT and the Motors responded but the Disco continued to drift even more to the left. Than i lost LOS.

The Discovery came done on my Neighbors Roof head down for about 50 meters in WOT.
Two Arms, 4 Props are gone, 2 brand-new MT2216 gone, TBS 69 is missing, recovered the Gopro down the Roof in 3 Pieces, unfortunately the SD Card is missing.

BR, meme

Sorry to hear that Meme. I investigated my QAV500 and plainly from the components i can't tell what caused the crash. Second test will be once i mount the components again either on the QAV or the TBS and lets see what happenes.

Really don't like it if you don't know what the reason for the crash was !

Boris