Zero UAV Zero UAV YS-X6 [Owners Thread] *Autopilot system for multirotors*

nicwilke

I got one on its way to me. Just thought I would mention it as a way of subscribing to this thread
Congratulations Chris... I've been keeping an eye out on other users, and with the exception of 2 people, its been pretty much trouble free for everyone. The GCS is the trickiest but, but once you set up a wifi router, and get GCS onto a phone (or PC or Tablet) you can setup using step by step. I find the trickiest part is following the rather confusing manual with the usual Chinese translations, but 'Setup Guide' after instal is easy to follow
I had an issue where I could not see the number for X8 setup in one step, so you may also have that issue to set up Octo Flat, so just get the number from the manual (near the end, theres different multirotor configs, ie: X Quad = 1 + Quad + 2... up to X8 Octo = 8... Easy enough. Find out your magnetic declination as that is important also. You then enter it as a reverse figure, so if (like mine) Mag Dec is 12, I add -12 as the value to compensate...
Anyways, you're jumping in at the rite time, its more than been trusted now in the field, and I'm sure you will find it a great system to fly with. Dont worry too much about all the hoo-ha with waypoints and flying with a phone control, its cool, but not really suitable for AP. You dont need to bring a wifi router to the field if you dont want to tune it, fly via touchpad or do waypoints.
Data link is cheap, $200, or $100 if you are quick to post a youtube video on their forum (elsewhere) - ends october.
I'm sure we'll be talking about setup.

DennyR

I think it is great to see a viable alternative. You could still use the Zenmuse with this, but you would need a WKM IMU also.

@Nic Thanks for the positive comments, I am looking forward to getting it now and I know I can rely on you (as always) if i get any issues :tennis:

Chris, I had a small number of problems at the start but many of them were self-inflicted. However try as I might I am unable to get used to touch and swipe screens...They seemd to aimed at people perhaps a lot younger than me and have enjoyed a rececent past using smartphones, etc.. I do though have no issues at all when using a PC but this is where the difficulties lay with YS-X6...I am of a generation that does RTFM and any instructions for PCGCS are more than a little thin and leave a lot to be desired. The instructions for the Android based GCS are not translated well into PCGCS speak and use. Therefore I glean what I can from the non-PCGCS instructions and then spend a good few hours making it fit into the PC world. It is though a very ruggedly constructed piece of kit that will do all that it has been designed to do. My guess is that it will improve even more so over the next few months, lets hope that the manufacturers will do the same for the instructions on feature use.

Thanks David. I havn't got mine yet but I had a gander at the manual and I uploaded the App to my phone and I think I might manage :). I understand that you can easily fly without having to take the router and the phone/tablet to the field, but correct me if I am wrong.

nicwilke

Thanks David. I havn't got mine yet but I had a gander at the manual and I uploaded the App to my phone and I think I might manage :). I understand that you can easily fly without having to take the router and the phone/tablet to the field, but correct me if I am wrong.

Chris, you are correct. If you want to fly with Tx only, it's fine. I rarely bring my router now, and have no interest in flying with a phone. A phone lacks the precision that you get from a Tx.

I think a portable router is needed for in the field compass calibration but for me, it's only a 1metre wireless bridge from the my phone to the data link.

What ESC's are you using Chris?

steering / yaw speed?

Anyone help me here... I'm trying to figure out how to slow down my steering/yaw on the YS-X6..A bit to fast and twitchy for my liking. I cant seen to figure out what/where the parameters are on the GCS.
Anyone?

DennyR

Better still DennyR, a Hero3000 and skyline. ;)

No thanks, I know the AP business inside out since 1972 and that stuff is out after what I have seen with their production standards and the dramas with skyline. One strike and you're out. New Zealand is not the place to make anything high tech. Ask a New Zealander.

I do however feel that this company is producing a new level of MR controller that brings a lot of hope for the future. It is the only real challenger to DJI. from what I have seen in the videos. So far no bad reports.

nicwilke

No thanks, I know the AP business inside out since 1972 and that stuff is out after what I have seen with their production standards and the dramas with skyline. One strike and you're out. New Zealand is not the place to make anything high tech. Ask a New Zealander.

I do however feel that this company is producing a new level of MR controller that brings a lot of hope for the future. It is the only real challenger to DJI. from what I have seen in the videos. So far no bad reports.

The only problem with the setup is the manual. I find the cross translation terminology a little confusing DennyR. Flying the YS in X8 configuration is the best I've had. I will be looking with great interest at the YS–X4 with GPS. I may even put it on a new frame if it's flight and functionality is similar (minus the waypoint stuff).

No complaints from me.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Ditto nicwike....no problems at all with the H/W and F/W (apart from the self-inflicted ones) once I had interpreted the very badly written manuals. Kit = superb, Manuals = crap.

johnno

Hi Nicwilke.... just joined good to see aussie guys flying I am down the south coast NSW in Jervis bay, just getting into this hobby have an Xaircraft x650 which will change the gear shortly, one question if anyone knows the android gcs software is it version specific ?
Chow for now Johnno.

nicwilke

Hi Nicwilke.... just joined good to see aussie guys flying I am down the south coast NSW in Jervis bay, just getting into this hobby have an Xaircraft x650 which will change the gear shortly, one question if anyone knows the android gcs software is it version specific ?
Chow for now Johnno.

Hey Johnno,
What do you mean version specific? It'll run on android 2 and above.

Jervis bay eh? Love that area. Where did you get the YS from?

johnno

Hi Nicwilke..........you answered my version specific question it was which version from so ver 4 should be OK,re the YS just about to order and I was going to get it from Multirotortech in Sydney, is there others that should be considered? johnno.

robone

Hi Nicwilke..........you answered my version specific question it was which version from so ver 4 should be OK,re the YS just about to order and I was going to get it from Multirotortech in Sydney, is there others that should be considered? johnno.

Hi Johnno....There are a number of sellers all over the world, but it is better to get your unit from someone in the same Country that you live in. I think you only have Multirotortech in Australia.

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

nicwilke

Multirotortech in Sydney would be your best choice. Great people, great service and fast shipping. Good luck with your purchase.

johnno

Hi Robone yes I am aware of the fact that the YS is available globally and yes I am a firm believer in supporting your local business house and yes Multirotortech at this point are the only ones down here, I cant wait to get my hands on it I have been doing a lot of research into all these FC's and the YS seems to come out on top for a while maybe until someone comes out with something that is just slightly better and thats not bad cause it keeps everyone on there toes. Cheers.

Hi Folks. Finally got round to setting up my YS-x6. Set up router according to instructions with correct ssid and pw and WPA2-PSK security protocol. My Samsung S2 galaxy connected to the router OK. But I cannot get the YSX6 to connect. I tried a different router, and even set up the galaxy as a hotspot. Still no luck. Am I missing something?
These are my settings
SSID YS-X6-11234
Security WPA2-PSK
password 82890430

The YS seems to be working OK. The LED does its stuff. There is a little button on the control unit labelled AS. I dunno what that is. Should I press it?

robone

Hi Folks. Finally got round to setting up my YS-x6. Set up router according to instructions with correct ssid and pw and WPA2-PSK security protocol. My Samsung S2 galaxy connected to the router OK. But I cannot get the YSX6 to connect. I tried a different router, and even set up the galaxy as a hotspot. Still no luck. Am I missing something?
These are my settings
SSID YS-X6-11234
Security WPA2-PSK
password 82890430

The YS seems to be working OK. The LED does its stuff. There is a little button on the control unit labelled AS. I dunno what that is. Should I press it?

Is the LED on the wifi Module a solid blue?
With WPA2-PSK you get different encryption methods. Did you choose AES?

You might have the wrong serial number. It happened to me. The way to find out is to connect you PC to com1 and run your PC GCS and then connect by opening the data connection under top left tab "file" and then go to the TAB "other Data" It will give you your serial number.

Rob