Zenmuse (Z15-GH3) starts and calibrates but then drifts (and drifts)

jeey

Zenmuse GH3 problems

I have a problem with my brand new zenmuse gh3.

After cal it tilts the gimball max down to the left, no matter what.

Have tried with and without RC input.

Any suggestions, the zenmuse is connected to the IOSD trough the GPS hub on A2 as per manual.

EDIT: MERGED THE TWO THREADS ADDRESSING THE DESPONDENT ZENMUSE PROBLEM....BART

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Hi everyone,

It's a new gimbal for me and though I think it's all set up per the instructions it isn't working correctly. In the assistant software I can see that the channels are being received and the sliders are responding but after the calibration steps the gimbal just drifts in Pan counter-clockwise and goes from about +20 to -20 degrees in Tilt over and over.

Any suggestions? There isn't much you can do in the assistant software so I'm wondering if maybe I have a bad cable or something's just not right?

Thanks,
Bart

jeey

So you can't get it to calibrate. Has it every calibrated before? Is this the first time you set it up? Is the firmware updated?

It has calibrated 2-3 times correctly, but the last 10 times noe in a row it does this.
It happend both with a2 2.1 & 2.2
Running newest gh3 firmware

Bartman

everything is centered. the gimbal isn't responding to radio inputs at all, it's just drifting like it's depressed or something. i've got to double check the wiring and make sure i haven't forgotten anything. the manual is helpful but it isn't quite a straight line from an open box to a working gimbal.

Bartman

Does the video-out wire have to be plugged in and attached to a vtx for the gimbal to work?

Bartman

not being able to leave well enough alone I opened up the GCU to see if maybe something was floating around in there or not assembled properly. what i found was that three of the little flat black blocky looking things were actually lumpy and blistered looking. usually flat black blocky looking things are actually flat and neatly squared off at the edges but in my case they are lumpy like they overheated from within. i'll try to get some good pictures and post them here.

i'd love to find out if they're supposed to look like that or if mine have actually overheated and are now damaged. anyone else care to open up their Zenmuse GCU? you'll need a 1mm allen wrench to get the four screws out then just gently pull it apart.

i also thought i'd like to solder the Can-Bus wires into place but there's no getting the Can-Bus port out of the PCB sandwich that makes up the GCU internals. :(

jeey

To the mod that merged these threads, These are not the same problems.

Have been looking at the zenmuse for a while and noticed during calibration the kamera hits the yaw axis when testing roll, if i put the camera lens down and calibrate it calibrates just fine as it can test the MAX lenght of right and left roll axis.

eBWx3Cc.jpg

What is the correct way to address this ?
Should i use the slider screws on the yaw axis ?

Bartman

i thought the camera was supposed to bang up against the frame when testing left and right roll limits. i just figured it looked for a current spike when it stopped agains the frame and then went the other way. is it supposed to roll 360 degrees without hitting anything? aren't they set up at the factory to work perfectly? (a bit tongue in cheek, i apologize!)

Bartman

pics of blistered black blocky bits

Attachments

• IMG_1444.jpg
    IMG_1444.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_1443.jpg
    IMG_1443.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 469
  • IMG_1442.jpg
    IMG_1442.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 319

Bartman

..................if i put the camera lens down and calibrate it calibrates just fine as it can test the MAX lenght of right and left roll axis.......

how are you able to get the camera lens down while calibrating?

i merged the threads and can't unmerge them....sorry about that. i think we may have a similar problem but we'll see. i'm going to go try to install the new firmware again and see about making it work. with my GCU looking funky though it's hard to imagine it's all the way it's supposed to be.

bart

jeey

how are you able to get the camera lens down while calibrating?

i merged the threads and can't unmerge them....sorry about that. i think we may have a similar problem but we'll see. i'm going to go try to install the new firmware again and see about making it work. with my GCU looking funky though it's hard to imagine it's all the way it's supposed to be.

bart

The "gunc" is there to hide what parts DJI is using, anti cloning technice.

I turn the lens downwards before i start cal.

Bartman

The "gunc" is there to hide what parts DJI is using, anti cloning technice.

I turn the lens downwards before i start cal.

do you turn it down with tilt or by hand?

"gunc"..got it, thanks.

mine is still not operating. it goes through a start up routine but then starts a slow counter-clockwise pan while tilting up, then down, up, then down, over and over.

i redid the compass calibration correctly and flew the helicopter. it flew better than it had before when i did the compass calibration incorrectly but the gimbal isn't being cooperative which sucks because I've got a very important project to start next monday.

if i had to guess i'd say i'm not getting FC info to the gimbal's GCU via the can-bus cable. the symptoms I'm seeing resemble what others have described when their can-bus cables weren't plugged in.

jeey

do you turn it down with tilt or by hand?

"gunc"..got it, thanks.

mine is still not operating. it goes through a start up routine but then starts a slow counter-clockwise pan while tilting up, then down, up, then down, over and over.

i redid the compass calibration correctly and flew the helicopter. it flew better than it had before when i did the compass calibration incorrectly but the gimbal isn't being cooperative which sucks because I've got a very important project to start next monday.

if i had to guess i'd say i'm not getting FC info to the gimbal's GCU via the can-bus cable. the symptoms I'm seeing resemble what others have described when their can-bus cables weren't plugged in.

Turned it by hand, but i also suspect something like you.
When i connect my IOSD it gets worse, constant spinning during cali and such.

It was much better when my zenmuse was directly connected to the GPS puck.