Aeronavics / Droidworx XM X4 Build log

Bluerex

Hi Bluerex, IYDMMA, what camera are you usung in conjunction with you iOSD? BTW, did you calibrate your gps compass?, and what's your GPS lock like in the Southern/H?
Andy
Hi Andy, please feel free to ask - just remember I am new to this world and may give wrong/stupid/ignorant answers :) Other members are most welcome to cut in and correct where necessary.

I had a couple of attempts at getting the OSD camera working, problems with the version 1 of DIJ's OSD are well documented. I originally tried the cam I used with my other "Hobby King type Chinese" transmitters a Foxtechfpv CM210 even with the SOA adaptor it just didn't want to work reliably with the DJI gear. So I swapped it for a Carbonbird cam from Multiwiicopters and the results were great.
I am using the DJI downlink transmitter because it just works with the OSD *and* it allows me to run video from both the mini-cam and what ever recording cam (Gopro 2/3 or Canon 550D) I have fitted.

The one change I made was to tweak my transmitter (setting the endpoints) so that I can run the cam select function off a momentary switch on my Aurora without the danger of the downlink thinking that I want to change my transmit channel (both of these functions are normally shared on a single 3-way switch)

I did the normal compass calibration in the back yard - no problem once I actually read the instructions (and not just relied on what I remembered from my Naza calibrations). I did however quickly find that disconnecting the gimbal power feed was a good idea - poor thing just wasn't coping with the vertical rotating in the second stage of compass calibration.
I can't really comment yet on the GPS lock, my yard is overshadowed by the house and garage and 4-5 satellites is the best I can manage during the day. I plan on some ground testing on the local playing field today so I may have a better answer for you later.

Charles.

Hi Charles. SOunds like you're making good progress there. I think it's all possible if you are careful with things, and think them out well first. Having said that, it all changes at the field, when all good common sense and logic turns to mush. I have spent a good deal of time on the sim (it's winter here) but it's easy to freeze when you've got c. $2000 worth of electronics whizzing about high in the air.
I've tried a little forest flying, as it makes nice footage, but until I'm fully fpv competent, it's megga easy to get disorientated, crashes happen in split seconds not minutes!
I haven't managed to get a camera to work with my osd mk1 yet, as my gopro 3 is being repaired/replaced, and it won't work with my Sony style board cameras. I'm interested to know the properties of the 'carbon bird cam', especially if it works with the osd. I too have the SAO device, sadly had no effect. I'm going to wait until I get the gopro back, then try that, although I certainly wouldn't rely solely on that for fpv use, so I will need to purchase a camera that 100% works with the iOSD.
BTW have you updated your firmware on the iOSD yet? Can't remember if I've already asked! Senior moments are more common these days.
ATB
Andy
P.S happy flying for tomorrow (I've just been out with the CX4, no damage, but daughter complained of cold after one lipo!!!!!Shucks).

Bluerex

:) Words of wisdom always appreciated. FPV down here is frowned upon without a buddy attached (actually he/she is meant to be the primary pilot and the FPV operator is the secondary) and this ship was never intended for purely FPV anyway (I tried it once with my flamewheel and experienced exactly what you just described) so the onboard vid will be fed to a small monitor mounted on my Aurora just for framing/orientation purposes. I haven't updated my iOSD firmware yet (must have missed the release on the DJI site) but the little Carbonbird (available here) seems to be solid.

C

PS having seen some of the snow you guys are getting... I agree with your daughter :frog:

THanks for that link Charles. It's odd how my Sony SUper HAD board camera doesn't work with my iOSD, I'm really reluctant to part with more cash for another camera if it does not work. Still, if it works with yours.
Flying again earlier today, I have 3 X 4 cell 5000 mAh lipo's (2 Turnegy 1 Zippy light max), so I decided to test out flight durations on the last flight by hovering around a few feet away, and land before it fell out of the sky so to speak! Well, it got to 14 minutes and the voltage had dropped to just 13.8v, I could have gone on further no doubt, but landed instead. Very pleased with that time, but was without gopro attached, so would be less with it on of course. I've re-mounted the Video Tx with the aerial now emergingView attachment 9366 from the side of the craft, pointing upward, as I was losing signal about 80 yds away (25 Mw Tx clover & s/planar aerials).

AUW is currently a shade under 2100 g.

ATB Andy.

Attachments

• aerial position.jpg
    aerial position.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 284

Bluerex

Is it healthy to be scared of your batteries? :)
Following Droider's lead I am testing a pair of Nanotech 5S 8Ah monsters... even charging them seems scary and I simply can't go bigger than my 12" APC props without fouling the batteries... I just hope they perform as well as they look!

C

nicwilke

Is it healthy to be scared of your batteries? :)
Following Droider's lead I am testing a pair of Nanotech 5S 8Ah monsters... even charging them seems scary and I simply can't go bigger than my 12" APC props without fouling the batteries... I just hope they perform as well as they look!

C

Battery caution is good practice.
Let's look at these 5s 8000's

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluerex

A quick flight after an hour's charge (out of the box) = 9:30 minutes (hover and general cruising around). Ran them down to 18v and landed - bounced straight back up to 18.6 off load.
Batteries are on charger now (taking 2.5 amp each) so I'll see how much they take.

The motors were pretty warm though - the big alloy discs were even warmer... This was a GoPro test flight, I wonder how I will go with the 550d attached.

C

Bluerex

Yep, Got a new Hitec 4 way charger and 13.8v 20A supply to run it.
I bought a tin box from Bunnings and lined it with left-over fire rated gyprock (drywall, plaster-board etc) from the studio project :)

View attachment 9584View attachment 9585

Attachments

• IMG_1048.jpg
    IMG_1048.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_1047.jpg
    IMG_1047.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 216

Bluerex

Had a mixed weekend.. Saturday felt good in the air but fumble fingers managed to set the GoPro to still mode (some great shots of my hand).
Sunday was very different (lots of environmental reasons) the multi felt great in the air and I managed to coordinate the camera to get some decent shots...
Still plenty of tuning to do and some questions about AXI bearings (how do they feel about dust like talcum powder?) but a great first field trial.

SMP

Good build thread! Are you flying this with a 550D currently and how do you think it would fare with a 5D2 and a 28mmIS (Believe that would add a half pound or so)

Nice footage BTW!

Bluerex

Forum looks like a sale thread no information or knowledge exchanged.....
Sorry if that is the appearance, but I found a large part of the total planning and purchase time was spent looking for stuff. I want to share my experience and maybe save someone else the hours I spent. As for Electric wingman, I see no problem in recommending a good supplier. I was looking for the Droidworx AXI motors, Jan at Model Motors suggested that I try Electric wingman, I did and bought some motors. I fail to see the problem here. Do you have a different AXI supplier? Is their service/pricing better than I have experienced? If so, please share.

Charles.

Bluerex

Good build thread! Are you flying this with a 550D currently and how do you think it would fare with a 5D2 and a 28mmIS (Believe that would add a half pound or so)

Nice footage BTW!
I confess I am still only running the GoPro 3 atm. You might notice from the Test Day clip that shooting rally video down here is a stupidly dusty occupation so I am saving my 550d for a less hostile environment.

I recently asked much the same question myself, I hope Coenraad doesn't mind me sharing his email reply when I asked about over loading the XM:

This was my mail to the DW sales team...

Hi Lucy,Just touching base after getting my XM X4 in the air. I was totally knocked out with the design and fabrication of the frame and components - everything just fitted!!! No sanding, no re-drilling just beautiful.

I have the AXI 2418/22 motors with 12 x 3.8 APR slow flier props and have been trying to increase my air time beyond the couple of minutes I was originally getting on the 4S batteries (2 x 4ah). I have ended up with 2 x 5S 8Ah batteries which is giving me around 10 minutes in the air - perfect.

So I guess my question is how much is too much Take Off Weight for the XM coax frame ( I am looking at approx. 6.5kg loaded with my 550d canon)?
According to the
eCalc website the motors are ok to 6S, my ESC are good for 6S too and with the 12 inch APRs it should be fine... it's just the load on the frame I am worried about.

Any suggestions most appreciated :)

Charles Wannop

Flying Finish Productions,
Canberra Australia

And his reply...

Hi Charles

6.5kg should be fine, I have seen some XM coax setup weighing between 7-8 kg's. (Thats with Zenmuse gimbals + 2 large 6S batteries).

We are doing some tests on new low kv motors with 6S batteries and is hoping for even better flight times, will keep you posted.

Regards
Coenraad

So that's about as "horse's mouth" as I can get - hope that helps :)

Charles.

xerofly

Sorry if that is the appearance, but I found a large part of the total planning and purchase time was spent looking for stuff. I want to share my experience and maybe save someone else the hours I spent. As for Electric wingman, I see no problem in recommending a good supplier. I was looking for the Droidworx AXI motors, Jan at Model Motors suggested that I try Electric wingman, I did and bought some motors. I fail to see the problem here. Do you have a different AXI supplier? Is their service/pricing better than I have experienced? If so, please share.

Charles.
I have purchased XOAR Props from Electric wingman....so no issues about him...Iam speaking about larger context....the real knowledge and info is not getting reflected....the objective analysis with scientific data....In case If I ask you what KV,PROPS,and ESC and Lipo combo you would consider..what would be your answer... and why?very few regular folks answer such questions...I hope you appreciate and understand....