Aeronavics / Droidworx XM X4 Build log

Bluerex

Update: 3/12/2012
The pile of goodies is growing.
Latest arrivals were the ESCs from HobbyKing.
So to keep myself busy, I have fitted the prop adaptors to all the Axi motors and run the programming card over all the Plushies.
I am expecting the Wookong M any minute and then it's a matter of waiting patiently for the bundle of Kiwi joy to arrive.

c

nicwilke

Update: 3/12/2012
The pile of goodies is growing.
Latest arrivals were the ESCs from HobbyKing.
So to keep myself busy, I have fitted the prop adaptors to all the Axi motors and run the programming card over all the Plushies.
I am expecting the Wookong M any minute and then it's a matter of waiting patiently for the bundle of Kiwi joy to arrive.

c

Very exciting. What batteries are you going to run? Sorry if you already mentioned it, just interested in your C rating.

Bluerex

I bought a couple of pairs of these guys to run in parallel
Turnigy nano-tech 4000mah 4S 25~50C Lipo Pack

Somewhere to start I guess :)
Hey, I did notice last night that the 40A plushies showed no sign of warming up while I was
programming them, unlike their 30A brothers.... interesting.

C

Oh and the courier man caught up with me this afternoon...

We have Wookong !!!

View attachment 7958

flying cloud here we come :)

Attachments

• monkey1_copy0.jpg
    monkey1_copy0.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 187
Last edited by a moderator:

Bluerex

FedEx have my frame WooHoo!!!
I also came to the realisation that the Wookong was not going to let me run the AV130 gimbal on an octo multirotor using my Aurora 9 Tx (non S-Bus or PPM) DOH!!!
So... a quick update to the budget and an email to Jesse at Photohigher for a Skyline RSGS. I hadn't planned on a gimbal controller this early in the development but I guess i had to cross this bridge sometime.

C

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I had my doubts after the Beta versions but the ew 1.2 isworking great on my SJLX4.. enjoy the build

BUT DONT RUSH IT!

Lets see some pics of your assembled bits and bobs!

Dave

nicwilke

I hope you have your Christmas shopping done. Your wife will want to pull you away from the building. :D

Bluerex

I hope you have your Christmas shopping done. Your wife will want to pull you away from the building. :D
True, but she works longer hours than I do so there is some scope for mid-week tinkering.....
A greater disruption is going to be the recording session (and subsequent post production time) that has been booked for my Possum Shed Studio on Wed afternoon. I have a small studio that I use for voice-overs and one of my video clients is coming back to record two more sessions this week. It's great that I am getting some work after a long build effort - but the timing sucks :nevreness:

C

Bluerex

Contrary to the FedEx website... It's here AND so is the SkyLine RSCG thingie!!!!!!11!!!!
Only six hours or so 'till I can get it home (Ok so I did unpack it a little bit and snuk one of the booms out so I could show everyone the carbony goodness)

View attachment 8171

Charles

Attachments

• IMG_0841.jpg
    IMG_0841.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 314

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Happy days.

when you unpack the frame I would recommend you lay it out as in the instructions ticking off the various bits and bob and making sure you assign the correct bolts to the corresponding assembles.

Follow the instructions for each section to the letter and build it all loosely. Take your time and keep making sure its looking right as you go. Once you have her built as just a frame then slowley start adding stuff like motors but again dont assume its reet until you are fully happy that everything is where it should be and you have sketched out how all your electronics are going to be fitted.

If you are flying in the first week of the build you have rushed it and there will be parts of it you know you can do better but its a pain in tharse to go back a goodly few steps to out it right!

Shut up Dave!!

Enjoy

Bluerex

View attachment 8201
:highly_amused::highly_amused::highly_amused::highly_amused::highly_amused::highly_amused::highly_amused::highly_amused::highly_amused:

C

Attachments

• real_men_dont_need_instructions_mug-p168772570507237991en711_216.jpg
    real_men_dont_need_instructions_mug-p168772570507237991en711_216.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 227

Bluerex

Phew! 4 hour voice over session finished (I was just recording this one - Dr Brett is a star!!) BUT they don't want the final output till February which means that after I have backed up the 120 gig of data, I can concentrate (finally) on building the X4.
And just so my attempt at humour wasn't mis interpreted - I have printed (and bound) the assembly manual and will be following Dave's advice closely. Guess I am not a real man after all :frog:

C

Bluerex

A quick question - do you lot use thread-locker (Loctite) for frame bolts? Obviously not for Nyloc nuts, but how about motors and threaded spacers etc

c