Aeronavics / Droidworx XM X4 Build log

xerofly

Dave.,
I dont see many people participating in real time discussion objectively...Like on German forums....I dont know german...

Bluerex

I have purchased XOAR Props from Electric wingman....so no issues about him...Iam speaking about larger context....the real knowledge and info is not getting reflected....the objective analysis with scientific data....In case If I ask you what KV,PROPS,and ESC and Lipo combo you would consider..what would be your answer... and why?very few regular folks answer such questions...I hope you appreciate and understand....
Ok, fine - the specs that I started out with are in the first post of this thread. I am still new to this hobby and rely heavily on other people's experiences. When I can, I am more than happy to share any experimenting that may have lead me to a decision point. The biggest change I made from my first proposed spec was to swap from Hoverfly Pro to Wookong M as a flight controller and the factors that lead me to that choice are documented here in the thread (and in the hoverfly forum).

C

Bluerex

Oh and Xero, one final observation... This is a BUILD thread so I think telling people where I bought stuff is an essential part of the story.

C

Bluerex

Feeling a teeny bit guilty today... I seem to have infected a mate with the whole Droidworx fever thing. He has just ordered an SJ-lite x4 kit from DW...
Dave di you mind if I share the blame and get him to chat to you about your build? :highly_amused:

C

PS Oh dear, he just e-mailed me to tell me that the invoice had arrived (anyone need a kidney?)... Welcome to the club DazzyB :highly_amused::highly_amused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluerex

DOH!!!
Well I managed to let the smoke out of my RSCG gimbal controller and the big expensive looking servos fitted to my AV130- the new BEC I was installing decided that it was nervous and needed a smoke and I assume it neglected its voltage regulation duties after that.

I take partial responsibility for not being paranoid enough to meter test everything before plugging the rest of the controller loom in… oh well.

c

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
SO did the RSCG jump in to real life then! ;-)

May be shocking them like this will make them work!

Dave

Bluerex

The servos are fried, looks like the controller may have survived (at least the leds all behave as per normal)
The sad thing is that despite all the bad press, my RSCG has always just worked perfectly (at least with a GoPro on board).

Expecting a fairly cold reception (after all it was kinda my fault), I exchanged a few e-mails with Jesse from photohigher... Wow!
I was offered condolences and a 20% discount on new modded servos at a price that was more than reasonable. In fact I felt particularly stupid (again) for having already ordered un-modded servos from a local supplier (cost was almost identical).
Then when I told Jesse that I was going to try the mod myself, I was sent photos and modding instructions for setting up my own servos. - Talk about service

C

xerofly

@blurex
iam in the process of getting the beast up and flying....probably by tommrow night I should be thru...I have the AV200 with RSGS and wait for the feedback....it might take some time before I fix the Gimbal...

Bluerex

Ok, been flying a bit this last weekend and I am starting to appreciate just how smooth this thing can be. Pilot error is still the major cause of lumpiness and I am still working up the nerve to go higher :)
I love the "geo-fencing" feature of the WKM but like most people the RTH needs some attention....

The reason for the post has to do with heat and overall weight. My AXI 2814/22 motors seem quite happy on 5S and an all out weight of round the 6.5kg BUT I suspect the motors are getting a bit warm.
My thermometer says 53C max - I think the AXI are rated safe to 80C but is this too much? My other thought was to remove (destroy) the pretty boots around the engine mounts and maybe swap for the new Ti/Carbon cable protectors.
I am not sure if the new motor mounting plates are available for the XM coax (and would they help keep things cool?)

Charles.

Bluerex

I was criticised for this being a "shopping" thread - but bugger it! good service deserves recognition.
I just ordered a brushless gimbal controller from http://www.fpvmodel.com and apart from a slightly frustrating experience with the shopping cart the rest of the order process was inspirational.
An email from Ally to confirm my phone number (I mentioned the flawed cart check-out process), then a photo of my goods being packed and stuffed into its DHL baggie (with my name on it) within an hour of placing my order. Brilliant!