Aeronavics / Droidworx XM X4 Build log

Bluerex

What 's the go with the ferrite torriods on the 40a plushies.... one of the Hoverfly threads had everyone removing them to try and stabilise the compass... I notice that the DW frame has almost zero ferris components (stainless or alloy only) so are they good or bad (I love it when I can simplify things) :frog:

c

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
The 40amp Optos I used dis not have them on and I thought they were the same so I would ditch um.

On the motor boots I think I used one o ring and one piece of tube that was in the pack. What size mounts are they?

Dave

Bluerex

Attachments

• IMG_0960.jpg
    IMG_0960.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_0959.jpg
    IMG_0959.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_0957.jpg
    IMG_0957.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_0954.jpg
    IMG_0954.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 316
Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Looking good there... That will be about right I would have thought. My ADX3 with 5000mah x 2 with canon 550d with 10/22 lens comes in at 4.3kg

Dave

Bluerex

Today's job was getting the RSCG installed and roughly trimmed.
After removing the AV130's pots and bolting on the SkyLine I set about installing the drivers and config software on my specially purchased Sony Vio laptop.... (without wanting to start a platform war, I F___ING HATE Windows) so, after downloading the Win 2k drivers (as linked in the manual), re-booting multiple times, downloading the Win 7 updated drivers, rebooting a few more times, sacrificing a perfectly innocent goat (well it was New Year's Eve), declining several invitations it install ant-virus, malware and social media software along the way, I finally had my laptop talking to the RSCG.

I selected the Auto Tune command (after setting the level thingies) and as per several other suffers on the Camera Gimbal thread (http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?3304-Photohigher-skyline-rsgs) my camera platform tried to tie it's cable in knots and general thrashed around like one of those fishes that our extreme fisherman (sorry there don't seem to be any extreme fisher-women... hmmm) like to kiss after a spirited "battle" ("What a little beeeeauty").
The only thing I felt I could change was the dummy "pot" resistor substitute ... so I un-plugged and flipped them and re-tested the the auto tune... and it worked.
I spent a while playing with gain and stuff but basically it just worked.
The only slightly bemusing thing is the obsession with "Slew mode" and the 15 degree downward tilt when I turned it off... anyway I feel I have a completely usable gimbal for the 550d
Job Done.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
. (without wanting to start a platform war, I F___ING HATE Windows) so, after downloading the Win 2k drivers (as linked in the manual), re-booting multiple times, downloading the Win 7 updated drivers, rebooting a few more times, sacrificing a perfectly innocent goat (well it was New Year's Eve), declining several invitations it install ant-virus, malware and social media software along the way, I finally had my laptop talking to the RSCG.
With here buddy... !

Well done for getting it running anyway,

Dave

Bluerex

In a fit of New Year enthusiasm I ordered the DJI video downlink kit and the OSD to match.A big thank you to the team at MulitwiiCopter for instant gratification - it's fantastic to be able to get gear like this locally at a price that makes sense.

View attachment 8640

AND they take a photo of the goods with paperwork so you can be sure that the order is right before it arrives. I assured my long-suffering wife that this was the last "major" component required.... Then I started reading about the 900meg data-link.... oops :frog:

Attachments

• 7718_$428.42 USD.jpg
    7718_$428.42 USD.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 343

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Get it flying and then slowly add the bits.. I have learned to put stuff in a wish list for a minimum of a week before I buy..

Dave

Cloudy Lancashire!

Bluerex

Dave, as always I admire your maturity and focus.... but a whole week ya got to be kiddin :highly_amused:

Bluerex

Oh my... where did the week go??
Getting damn close to maiden flight.. just a few more questions;
Dave (and other WKM fliers) can you talk me through through the GPS antenna placement options? Boom mounted or Mast mounted?

c

Bluerex

I'm going to use the weather as an excuse for not having had her in the air yet (I know - soft).
But it's not all bad, I was able to find a cable fault that could have ended in tears (DJI cable to the OSD). Instead I spent some time with a bunch of 1 watt LEDS (from eBay) and constant current drivers (from Jaycar). I am very happy with the results and the cost was heaps less than my original budget.
View attachment 9288View attachment 9289View attachment 9290View attachment 9291View attachment 9292

So I now have all the bits including the video downlink and fpv camera (used for framing) all ready to go.... Dave I might need to borrow your camouflage trousers... :nevreness:

Attachments

• IMG_1026.jpg
    IMG_1026.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_1027.jpg
    IMG_1027.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_1055.jpg
    IMG_1055.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_1058.jpg
    IMG_1058.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_1054.jpg
    IMG_1054.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 379

nicwilke

How did it go? I bet it was rock solid eh?. I've been out in my yard just then tuning my Xoar 12x5 woodies, they oscillated a little, and its now perfect.

Bluerex

It was pretty cool, after a bit of messing around (also known as being a chicken with the throttle) I finally got the feel for the take-off point and she just floated up, only for half a minute or so as the batteries were pretty wasted but she just sat there all purty like at all of 2 meters :)
Then she self landed and that was that.
One of the funnier parts of the earlier tests was when the props chomped through the balance cables on one of my lipos - no real damage but I need to work out how to charge the damn thing.

c

Hi Bluerex, IYDMMA, what camera are you usung in conjunction with you iOSD? BTW, did you calibrate your gps compass?, and what's your GPS lock like in the Southern/H?
Andy