What is more stable?

VINHEX

Excellent glad it can help you. I really wanted the S800 as the upgrade from the F550 hence buying WKM rather NAZA. It was the price that put me off to be honest with big competitors they seem to bring out new version quicker and not transferable or up-gradable Not saying by all means that the S800 is a bad frame still think they are great, but don't wont to be caught in the trap again. I purchased the iOSD in October, which was released in late September and there is already a version II out, that is more compatible with cameras. Again my MRK 1 is up-gradable but I always think how long before it's not supported anymore.. still think they are great products love the WKM and the Datalink as well. I'm so looking forward to building mine as you said, I get the buzz out of it as well as learning new things from doing it.

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
I'm not sure I totally understand the graph.

Is the efficiency good on this graph? Sorry I'm kind of slow.
View attachment 8662

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-01-05 at 4.03.09 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2013-01-05 at 4.03.09 AM.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 428

kloner

Aerial DP
the sunnysky brand are alright. What are you building again?

that is a 250 watt 12" 4s prop..... Mine are like 350 watt 4s 12" in 2814 770kv------ avroto/tiger/leopard

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
I'm building a Hexa for AP work and wanting to carry a gimbal and NEX-5n.

I would like the frame to be Carbon Core either 650 or 950mm.

The chart I posted is from a Pulso 2826/12 (760)Kv running on 4s.

I tried to get a chart for the Sunnysky motors on the eCalc: calculator to multicopter but the Sunnyskys were not in the list.

VINHEX

If you man find the spec on the sunsky enter them as custom.

Vin
DJI F550, DJI WKM, DJI DataLink 2.4Ghz, 3s 3300, 3s 5000, Aeroxcraft Landing Gear, Graupner 10x5 e-Props, Spektrum DX8, AR8000 Receiver
TM1000, Fatshark Attitude SD, Sony Exview Had II CCD 650 Line Sony Effio-E
Fatshark Spironet Antenna's, Bank balance 0.00
DJI iOSD

jfro

Aerial Fun
Explorocam.... I think I'm in the same boat as you.

Looking for a good Hexa for smooth AP work.
Spending lots of times trying to figure out what to do (other than just ordering a Cinestar and spending money which I don't have)
Here is my latest idea for a Hexacopter that should carry a mid to lightweight gimble and 1kg camera (GH2 )
Carbon Core Hexacopter H6 650mm

DJI Naza Flight Controller + GPS Combo
Avroto M 2814-11 Motor
DJIESC30A esc (or similar) motor control
prop spacers
Graupner 11x5 Props
Futuba 8FGAS Super 2.4GHz Mode 2
Parts for above (without batteries, charger, and FPV) is around 1850 US dollars.

More than likely this will be my starter system to learn on and hopefully get some usable footage. I can sell and buy new controller if I need waypoints. If I need 3 axis camera mount, I can add on or just upgrade controller if it can handle the weight. The NAZA with GPS seems to be a good starting point and should be easily sold if I want to upgrade, but keep the rest of the Hexa.

I'm also trying to figure out how much more $$ will it take to go up a bit in weight capacity. This seems to be more in line with what you are trying to do.

What if I want to go with a 3 axis camera mount and possible heavier camera without going to 8 engines.
I use many different cameras for HD Video, but I'd be happy with a camera/lens/battery weight i the 700g to 1.4KG range.

I think from my reading (no experience) that the configuration above would easily carry your gear, my question is will a light weight camera mount get the quality of video you want. If not, will this be enough capacity for a 2 or 3 axis camera module would good dampening.
I person I talked to suggested going up a size in motor and ESC. He didn't give me specifics and I haven't found any similar configs to understand yet....

I will stay with this thread and see where it leads. I'm ready to order, but holding off as it appears we may both be looking for the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Explorocam.... I think I'm in the same boat as you.

Looking for a good Hexa for smooth AP work.
Spending lots of times trying to figure out what to do (other than just ordering a Cinestar and spending money which I don't have)
Here is my latest idea for a Hexacopter that should carry a mid to lightweight gimble and 1kg camera (GH2 )
Carbon Core Hexacopter H6 650mm

DJI Naza Flight Controller + GPS Combo
Avroto M 2814-11 Motor
DJIESC30A esc (or similar) motor control
prop spacers
Graupner 11x5 Props
Futuba 8FGAS Super 2.4GHz Mode 2
Parts for above (without batteries, charger, and FPV) is around 1850 US dollars.

More than likely this will be my starter system to learn on and hopefully get some usable footage. I can sell and buy new controller if I need waypoints. If I need 3 axis camera mount, I can add on or just upgrade controller if it can handle the weight. The NAZA with GPS seems to be a good starting point and should be easily sold if I want to upgrade, but keep the rest of the Hexa.

I'm also trying to figure out how much more $$ will it take to go up a bit in weight capacity. This seems to be more in line with what you are trying to do.

What if I want to go with a 3 axis camera mount and possible heavier camera without going to 8 engines.
I use many different cameras for HD Video, but I'd be happy with a camera/lens/battery weight i the 700g to 1.4KG range.

I think from my reading (no experience) that the configuration above would easily carry your gear, my question is will a light weight camera mount get the quality of video you want. If not, will this be enough capacity for a 2 or 3 axis camera module would good dampening.
I person I talked to suggested going up a size in motor and ESC. He didn't give me specifics and I haven't found any similar configs to understand yet....

I will stay with this thread and see where it leads. I'm ready to order, but holding off as it appears we may both be looking for the same thing.

It does sound like we are looking for the same kind of set up. I'm thinking of the 950mm frame as I can have more flexibility with prop size. I'm playing with calculator, at trying to understand the graph a little more and choosing the most ideal set up. I'm hoping to build something that will carry a smooth gimbal like a Cinestar knock-off or AeroXcraft gimbal and NEX-5n as this is a light but great camera. I'm looking at the WKM controller as I want to keep my Flame Wheel F550 for fun and as a backup. I'm still calculating stuff slowly as I'm in the middle of writing a business plan for doing AP work, taking some business seminars and working for someone on a task that is a little over my head for now.

You said "Looking for a good Hexa for smooth AP work." Does this mean you starting a business?
P.S. Why are you choosing the 650 over the 950? The weight is pretty similar and Carbon Core suggests the same motor motor size. (That's where I got the original idea to use the 4408s)

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Hey Guys,

I'm revisiting those T-motors, the 4008-12 (600kv) and I ran them through the Multicopter calculator.
I chose total weight of aircraft 4500g, 50amp ESC, on 4s 5000mAh 30/45c X 2 in parallel, 6 rotors 13" 4.5 pitch. And from what I can tell the they look pretty efficient. Here's a screen shot of the calculator. I may not completely understand the calculator, maybe there is an online tutorial on how to properly read this chart/graph.

View attachment 8708

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-01-06 at 1.38.03 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2013-01-06 at 1.38.03 AM.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 332

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Never mind about the tutorial, I understanding it better now. Just needed a bit of a learning curve.
I can see now that the flight time kind of sucks. I'm going to rethink this model, cause I really want a longer flight time.
I remember hearing that the S800 is boasting a 20 minute flight time, I'd like to know how they did that.

kloner

Aerial DP
not knocking anything, but why would you want to spend $1200 for a flight controller but skimp on a gimble? Does that aeroXcraft gimble do steady video? Your not better off with somethng like the rusty gimble? Just what little i've seen from both there night and day. WK gimble control kinda sucks.

You make good flight times with efficient parts. Sometimes powerful and efficient are two different things. have you looked at axi

DennyR

I have been testing a few motors for a Turnigy Talon tri copter. I had six new suppo BL-2814/8's laying around so I thought I would hand pick the three best ones after running em on my test rig. Good job that I did because three of them are so far out of balance they hardly run at full power. After a lot of work I managed to get three that are worth trying in the airframe. I also tested a set of 3605 TM's that were way below the factory stated performance. There's a lot of crap out there.......

kloner

Aerial DP
I've gone through 19 suppo 2814 motors. When i break a prop, swap the motor out....... out of all those only ever got 1 that didn't work perfect from the box and that one was an obvious return probably for the same reason...... I swap em to keep the hero footage perfect

taking the stickers off makes a huge difference

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
@Kloner,

Don't worry about knocking my thought process, that why I'm here, to be challenged, criticized and learn. If everyone says good job to everything I'll never develop. I think I'll look at the Axi motors. I've heard great things about them. I know the aeroXcraft gimbal is not the best gimbal, but I thought it might be light weight and thought I might be able to through a Skyline on there or something, but I haven't seen this done.

@DennyR,

I know what you mean about there being a lot of crap out there. I thought the T-motors were supposed to be pretty good, but I wasn't sure. I hear (in this thread) that SunnyDay motors are supposed to be ok, but actually I had only stumbled across them by chance moments before I posted the idea of using them.

Basically, if I can make a hex that will lift a NEX-5n on a gimbal for over 10 minutes of flying I'm pretty golden. My F550 will fly for about 9 minutes, but it's not the most stable, and the the gimbal sucks for AP work. I'm starting to learn a lot more from you guys and the calculator to know that Heavy Lift does not mean long flight time. So, I'm looking for stable, long flight time to carry NEX-5n. I was originally looking at the 4008s as they seem to look like a cheap version of the DJI S800 motors. I see people getting 15 minutes with the S800 and was hoping to duplicate this kind of flight time with either the Carbon Core 650 or 950, or something lighter if possible.

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
I've gone through 19 suppo 2814 motors. When i break a prop, swap the motor out....... out of all those only ever got 1 that didn't work perfect from the box and that one was an obvious return probably for the same reason...... I swap em to keep the hero footage perfect

taking the stickers off makes a huge difference

Stickers off the Suppos? I balance my motors using a lazar and a mirror. Works great! Did it for my DJI motors cause only one was perfect the rest were out of balance.
I didn't realize the Suppo motors were that good. They are cheep to. 28 is the can or the stator?

kloner

Aerial DP
from what i've watched here over the last year, it's photohigher, zenmeuse or nothing.

I've got a 4 kilo xy8 with av100, nex5, 8-10ah and i'm flying 40-120 amp draw, 7-8 minutes is the norm,,,,,, most the flight is 45-50 mph. if all i did was hover and slow drift over stuff my flight times would be at 15+ minutes.....

sunnysky motors are a cheaper common fpv motor with hit and miss Qc. If you went to fpv labs and looked at the quads they post, you'd see sunny sky and turnigy motors about the same amount

kloner

Aerial DP
28 is the stator, 350 watt motors, only problem i overcame was a solution for grub screw prop adapters... them friction things scare the crap out of me

here is suppo 2810, the size under what he mentioned, 250w

these are the 2814

if you saw a video of mine in a discovery, that was suppo motors

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Do you have any photos of 4 kilo xy8 with. Sounds like my machine will be around 4kilo to when I'm done.

So you really recomend the Zenmuse or the Photohigher? Not so much the cinestar or cinestar knock-offs?

kloner

Aerial DP
those are good too. That rusty's gimble is pretty dope, kinda alot of metal, but works really good

DSC02625_795.jpg