The next rig for Yonder Blue Films - "Less Is More"

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Nice one Bart.. you can see the difference between this and brushless for sure BUT for peeps getting in to this then servo based gimbals like Barts on his X8 is a good staring point untill the work flows that much you can justify a $15/20 SHELL OUT ON A M10

Dave

hey thanks Dave. i didn't run it through any post stab but figure some segments would look damn near perfect if i did. it was a test flight for the HF GPS but the nice footage was a bonus.

back to testing the HF GPS next week if I can get some wind to make it work harder.

bart

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
hey thanks Dave. i didn't run it through any post stab but figure some segments would look damn near perfect if i did. it was a test flight for the HF GPS but the nice footage was a bonus.

back to testing the HF GPS next week if I can get some wind to make it work harder.

bart

Just come over to Finland theres oodles of it!
Dave

kloner

Aerial DP
Nice one Bart.. you can see the difference between this and brushless for sure BUT for peeps getting in to this then servo based gimbals like Barts on his X8 is a good staring point untill the work flows that much you can justify a $15/20 SHELL OUT ON A M10

Dave

if your serious, we are all looking at the same stuff way differently than i ever imagined.... so every axis isn't bouncing all over? even in no wind? slo flying..... man, seriously?

this is raw footage of actually flying the thing of our first version of alexmos gimbals a year ago,,,,,

that's hauling ass25-35mph, going up to 500 feet and locking into gps mode to hold the frame....then decending..... with a dji controller too, wk

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
if your serious, we are all looking at the same stuff way differently than i ever imagined.... so every axis isn't bouncing all over? even in no wind? slo flying..... man, seriously?
this is raw footage of actually flying the thing of our first version of alexmos gimbals a year ago,,,,,
that's hauling ass25-35mph, going up to 500 feet and locking into gps mode to hold the frame....then decending..... with a dji controller too, wk

So what you saying Kloner?

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

Flubbs

Prop mounts
: Foxtech quick detach prop mounts. SleepyC told me about these and he gave them high marks.

All the best,
Ben Rowland

this sounds great to me, a quick one on the mounts above am i going mad thinking that they have mixed up clockwise and counter clockwise on the pictures???? have just bought a set and they tighten when the motors run - correct??? ah but then have just had a thought, are they considering this when viewed from the motor side?????

thanks

steve

kloner

Aerial DP
that a servo gimbal doesn't come anywhere near the same thing as a brushless gimbal like your reffering to..... night and day different. For a dslr it's far from $15-$20k to get results, you know, your running one. try more like $2-$3k same price servo gimbals were a year ago

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
that a servo gimbal doesn't come anywhere near the same thing as a brushless gimbal like your reffering to..... night and day different. For a dslr it's far from $15-$20k to get results, you know, your running one. try more like $2-$3k same price servo gimbals were a year ago

@ Kloner my point is that you cannget good footage with servos with out spending even 2/3K. Not everyone has that much cash to throw at a brusless gimbal, or infact a craft capable of hauling one. Your work requires it I am sure but for guys just getting in to this servo based gimbals still have a place..

Be good to see your new baby out of the box. Anyhow I think we are not really contributing to Bens thread here. Il start a thread...

Dave

kloner

Aerial DP
we were looking at a dslr servo gimbal, that's a av200, whether you bought a new one servo or brushless, you spent 2k,,, if it was home made like barts and a zillion unpaid hours making work, you spent an equivelent of 10's if not hundreds of thousands of dollars into the system. just saying, to get in today, you can get a brushless zenmeuse for your hero for less than $400 and i bet if i showed up with the servo dslr footage and the zen hero footage to a production company in america, they will give me way more money for the hero footage than any servo gimbal footage i've ever seen. Guys getting going with the "right stuff" makes all the difference in the world and imo the advice to get anything servo driven isn't the best advice to heave.

sorry for jacking your thread Ben, it's pretty much ran it's course.... As a side note, if you all haven't heard getting t-motor anything is weird right now so if your building a rig and counting on powering it with t-motors, be careful. The company was sold, restructured, not even sure if somebody you pre order something from now will be a dealer next month.... If i was building something today and the KDE line fit the application, i'd be going that route. I'm so pissed at t-motor right now... can ya tell

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
this sounds great to me, a quick one on the mounts above am i going mad thinking that they have mixed up clockwise and counter clockwise on the pictures???? have just bought a set and they tighten when the motors run - correct??? ah but then have just had a thought, are they considering this when viewed from the motor side?????

thanks

steve

As every multirotor configuration that I know of has an even amount of props, just buy what you need plus a few extras and swap them if they are backward. Is this really that big of a deal?

filmfly

Hey Ben, love the thread and thanks for sharing your expertise and insight. I hope this new rig works great for your needs.

Couple of questions: Ben, why would you choose the Y6 instead of an X8 like Bart went with?

And Kloner, thanks for the note about Tiger motors and your thoughts on gimbals. In your opinion what 3-axis brushless DSLR gimbals could fall into the $2-3k range today? Am I wrong in thinking the $1300 AV-200 uses servos and the $5k M5 Ben is looking at is brushless?

Thanks

Dave T

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
...............if it was home made like barts and a zillion unpaid hours making work, you spent an equivelent of 10's if not hundreds of thousands of dollars into the system............

not actually homemade, all professionally cut and bonded using aircraft grade aluminum and other top shelf componentry, pretty indestructible actually. every revision along the way was out making money within a day or two of it being completed. probably not many other gimbals that could make that claim.

kloner

Aerial DP
I get it...we've been in brushless red r&d for 10 months now..... we've gone through 12 revisions..... same deal, most our old ones work handheld daily on sets, we also rent em.....

the av200 idd is brushless, maxton motors, just needs a brushless controller.....$2-$3k with rc, video tx, etc. perfect for flying a dslr..... see if you can get there red version, has a bigger tilt motor for heavy glass handling... its the same diameter but 3-4mm deeper/thicker

sk8brd

being that NAB is around the corner i know of at least one red solution that will be released Filmy not sure on the details or cost other then it will be revealed and no it's not dji btw.

Sorry I haven't made any updates in the past week. We've been neck deep in a couple of projects. Had a lot of fun working on a car commercial that should start airing in April. We've been doing a lot of digging into the various options mentioned for our next aerial rig. Hope to have more to share soon...

nickad

Great post

Sorry I haven't made any updates in the past week. We've been neck deep in a couple of projects. Had a lot of fun working on a car commercial that should start airing in April. We've been doing a lot of digging into the various options mentioned for our next aerial rig. Hope to have more to share soon...

Interesting thread, I have been on a mission to get smooth(er) Cinestar footage for over a year. It's driving me crazy, I thought I was the only one. If you look at some of the forums the brushless gimbal is the way to go but It would seem the brushless nervana is not all its cracked up to be..(or is it??) at least the tuning of the gimbal is not as easy as some people may have you believe. I have a radian 3 axis set up right now and as I spent $2500 on that I want to make sure the next purchase is a good one. Would love to see the info keep coming. Great to have some real world, unbiased, reviews on the latest and greatest. Thanks Ben

Bryharv

we were looking at a dslr servo gimbal, that's a av200, whether you bought a new one servo or brushless, you spent 2k,,, if it was home made like barts and a zillion unpaid hours making work, you spent an equivelent of 10's if not hundreds of thousands of dollars into the system. just saying, to get in today, you can get a brushless zenmeuse for your hero for less than $400 and i bet if i showed up with the servo dslr footage and the zen hero footage to a production company in america, they will give me way more money for the hero footage than any servo gimbal footage i've ever seen. Guys getting going with the "right stuff" makes all the difference in the world and imo the advice to get anything servo driven isn't the best advice to heave.

sorry for jacking your thread Ben, it's pretty much ran it's course.... As a side note, if you all haven't heard getting t-motor anything is weird right now so if your building a rig and counting on powering it with t-motors, be careful. The company was sold, restructured, not even sure if somebody you pre order something from now will be a dealer next month.... If i was building something today and the KDE line fit the application, i'd be going that route. I'm so pissed at t-motor right now... can ya tell

the KDE published motor specs are AMAZING. the KDE XF 4014 380kv is 100 grams lighter weight than the TMotor U7, with apparently higher lifting capacity. That's saving almost 2 POUNDS off a U7 X8 machine. I just got my set and we are testing them now. I originally got the Tmotor 490kv and tested them with CC 75A Edge light ESC and also the Hobbywing Platinum Pro ESC and the ESC's were getting HOT - over 200F in about 5 minutes. Didn't feel like testing any more ESC combos with the 490kv so for various reasons we decided sell them and try the KDE's. Sold my U7's to a guy - long story short he put them in the air with a RED camera and 3 of his ESC's burst into flames resulting in a crash.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Interesting thread, I have been on a mission to get smooth(er) Cinestar footage for over a year. It's driving me crazy, I thought I was the only one. If you look at some of the forums the brushless gimbal is the way to go but It would seem the brushless nervana is not all its cracked up to be..(or is it??) at least the tuning of the gimbal is not as easy as some people may have you believe. I have a radian 3 axis set up right now and as I spent $2500 on that I want to make sure the next purchase is a good one. Would love to see the info keep coming. Great to have some real world, unbiased, reviews on the latest and greatest. Thanks Ben

Brushless gimbals IMO, have been a bit of voodoo at times. Be interesting to hear others experience. I've used a couple different ones with HoverFlyPro Black, Naza V2, Xaircraft Superx, and soon to test a Pixhawk.

I've tested on quad and x8 configs. I can't seem to get the same smooth quality and I'm starting to wonder if the flight controllers have more to do with things and the subsequent tuning from our radio's. My first 2 brushless gimbals blew me away with my Hoverfly Pro. Had some problems and got a replacement which I've not successfully got running on my x8.

Every since, except for my small quad with GoPro, I have not attained the same smoothness on my other 3 gimbals with Gh2, Gh3, or Black Magic Pocket Cam.

nickad

Brushless gimbals IMO, have been a bit of voodoo at times. Be interesting to hear others experience. I've used a couple different ones with HoverFlyPro Black, Naza V2, Xaircraft Superx, and soon to test a Pixhawk.

I've tested on quad and x8 configs. I can't seem to get the same smooth quality and I'm starting to wonder if the flight controllers have more to do with things and the subsequent tuning from our radio's. My first 2 brushless gimbals blew me away with my Hoverfly Pro. Had some problems and got a replacement which I've not successfully got running on my x8.

Every since, except for my small quad with GoPro, I have not attained the same smoothness on my other 3 gimbals with Gh2, Gh3, or Black Magic Pocket Cam.
I have the GH4 on order, hoping a lighter camera will help (i fly a 5D 3 now). Seems like a never ending quest:) I may try the vibration quick release plate that Ben recommends