The next rig for Yonder Blue Films - "Less Is More"

So I've been brainstorming our next camera flyer...

A little history: Our first big camera hauler was a Cinestar 8. It served us well. We flew it with 14 inch props. You can click on that video in the upper left showing it sitting in the grass to see what we shot with it. We wanted something bigger for flying the Red Epic. So I built a Vulcan flat octo with 15 inch props (and later added their awesome Mantis arm in place of the leading arm). Our most recent reel includes a mix of shots from the Cinestar and the Vulcan. Every shot in that reel is from either a hacked Panasonic GH2 or a Panasonic GH3 (we've flown plenty of cams, but these are by far the most popular for us). We've flown the Red on a handful of shoots, but most folks opt for having us fly smaller cameras. DP's like Epics and Alexas, but producers that control budgets like whatever is the most affordable. And we've seen a GH3 color-timed to match an Arri Alexa, and it worked well. Big octos have been our rig of choice from the beginning, but now I think it's time to go smaller.

I'm looking to build a new rig, and on this one I'm taking the "less is more" approach. I want to build a rig that is ultra-portable, and targeted towards the cameras we typically fly. I see us continuing with the GH3, adding the 4K capable GH4, and also throwing our Blackmagic Pocket into the mix. We've only used the Pocket for ground work so far. We travel a lot, so having a rig that is smaller, lighter, and packs down faster would be a big benefit to us (especially our mental health).

So here's what I'm considering, and I'd love to get some feedback. For some parts, I'm pretty set on what I will go with, for others it's still "up in the air."

The Frame: I'm leaning towards another frame from Vulcan UAV. Why? Several reasons actually. First, their frames are tough. Baggage handlers have given our gear a beating at times, so having a tough frame is important. I already have plenty of spare parts for our octo, so it makes sense to build a frame that can use the same spares. You can fold the arms for packing. Customer support is great. Their frames are VERY adaptable to all types of layouts and accessories.

The Layout: I'm likely going to build this out as a Y6 or a X8. I need redundancy, so no quads. I want something that's more portable, and I've already got a large octo, so coaxial seems like the smart bet. Many folks I respect on this forum have praised the benefits of coaxial. So that means it's either a Y6 or a X8. I'm leaning towards a Y6. With the Y6, I could fold the front arms back towards the back arm and pack it in a mid sized pelican case.

Motors: Looking at three brands - Avroto, KDE, and Tiger. All three brands make quality motors. There are some white Avroto motors that would be nice in the hot weather that we fly in. KDE has recently released multi-rotor motors and first impressions from folks have been good. Tiger (T-Motor) is obviously very popular, and they have a wide variety of options (they help manufacture the Avroto line). Really I couldn't go wrong with any of these.

Flight controller: I've been very happy with the Hoverfly Pro. I have an extra board that needs a home, so this will likely be the way I go. I usually fly in manual mode - 95% of the time it seems. And in manual mode, the Hoverfly Pro rules. It also flies really well in auto-leveling mode. I'd consider the new MK or SuperX as an option too. But I've got over 3,000 flights on Hoverfly Pro and it just works really well. I'm considering 6S lipo power, so I'd have to regulate the voltage to the Hoverfly, which is a possible weak point.

Batteries: MaxAmps for me there. I have a fair amount of their 4S batteries, so it is tempting to build something based off 4S batteries. But many of the motors I like are tailored to 6S voltage, and there are some potential efficiency gains there. The choice of voltage will be a tough one. Also, with the Hoverfly Pro, you can't power it with a 6S battery, so you have to step down the voltage that is going to the board (ESCs still get full voltage though). What concerns me about that is that if that voltage regulator fails, well... that's a bad day. So I would need to go with a high quality voltage regulator and possibly wire up two for redundancy. Any recommendations there? I will power the system with 2 flight batteries at a time for longer flights and redundancy.

Props: The wooden Xoar props have been good to me. I think I'll give the T-Motor carbon props a go on this build. Anything else I should look at?

ESCs: Depends on the flight controller, but Turnigy Plush have served me well in combination with the Hoverfly Pro. Programming them is easy with their card.

Camera gimbal: There are a lot of gimbals on the market. We used parts from here to modify our original Cinestar gimbal to make roll and tilt brushless. And we've gotten smooth shots from this setup. It's driven by an Alexmos board. I have had some reliability issues with the Alexmos, and I find the tuning to be time consuming and difficult. The results are usually good though. Don't get me wrong, Alexmos brought brushless to the masses, and for that I am sincerely grateful. BUT, I'm ready for something else. I want something with easier tuning, that's well engineered, and can accept a variety of small to mid-sized cameras. The gimbal that checks off all of those boxes is the Movi M5 (the little brother to the M10). It's due for release in March. No word yet on whether it will have a kit to add landing gear to it, but I'd be really surprised if this gimbal isn't airworthy. We'll have a lot more answers on that in a few weeks. The only other gimbal tech that has really caught my eye is this, but information is scarce because it isn't available yet. I know there's other tech too being honed in a workshop somewhere - I think the next month or so will be very interesting in the gimbal technology department.

Gimbal mount: Allied Drone's Echo. I use it now - works well.

Prop mounts: Foxtech quick detach prop mounts. SleepyC told me about these and he gave them high marks.

Those paying close attention will note that there are some key pieces of gear that I left out, radios for instance. But I have plenty of gear that will make the move to this new rig. We are big fans of our Futaba gear, and since we have 3 of their transmitters I don't think I'll switch. If I did, it would be to a Jeti like this, but that is quite an investment. Those that own them though say they are worth every penny. I'd like to try one out.

If you read all of this post, I commend you and thank you. If you leave a comment, then many thanks to you. Fly safe.

All the best,
Ben Rowland

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
You da man, so I’m actually really excited to see what you end up building.

The only input I think I am qualified to answer is the following.

1) 6S... do it. more power, better efficiency with the right motors... And my 6S batts seem to last longer thna my 4S packs.

2) I really like the Vulcan frames, so no argument there. They are versatile, tough and easily changed from X8 to hex to Octo..

3) Avroto, KDE, and Tiger. All great choices. I have T-motor and Avroto and they are both awesome. That being said, I have heard great things about the KDE motors and am dyeing to try them.

4) X8 - Y6 - Quad. I am a proponent of uber HL Quads, BUT seeing the hex with a motor out video, I’m wondering a bit. Bart has had a motor out on a XY8 and I have lost one on a Y6 and landed.. so that does make sense. Drew has said that Xaircraft has said that the SuperX can handle a motor out on a Hex or Octo so I think that’s pretty awesome as well. Personally in my experience the Y6 flys great in forward flight, but I think it yaws differently, not as smooth, but this is My Opinion... and you can slow down the yaw and try to tune it out a bit. (and with a vulcan if you don’t like the Y6, just add an arm and motors.. no issues.) But all that being said, with the SuperX black box, I can monitor my equipment after a day of flying and see if a potential problem is starting, so I am still not opposed to super efficient uber lift quads. (I am loving the ZeroUAV High One)

5) ESC’s I really have had good luck with T-Motor esc’s and Maytech.. no real preference, just really good experiences.

6) Flight Controller.. SuperX hands down. After tuning for a while, I think the SuperX flys 90% as smooth as Hoverfly but has an amazing Alt and GPS hold. In fact you can smoothly fly in GPS mode if you choose. (great for windy days)

Video is not perfect as i was tuning but this was in steady 25 mph winds with 30 mph gusts, and the SuperX was awesome! (around 2:50 you can really see the gusts!

7) Camera Gimbal - I’m waiting on your reports, Alexmos is going to be the death of me, so I’m waiting to hear about the Movi M5 or the new Centerpiece or 32 bit amexmos board.If you say teh M5 is teh Jam, I may sell my car or one of my racing bicycles and get one.

8) I love the foxtech prop mounts.. def worth the few bucks.

I am obsessed, but have no where the practical “in field” use you have so take my thoughts as just my opinions!

Going to bed to no sleep as I think about Alexmos PID settings...
(shaking and twitching in weird ways)

Last edited by a moderator:

sk8brd

hey Ben-looking forward to your build KDE on paper and that manufacture video look killer. Seams a few are going the coaxial route. Copter-kids i just read are running a carbon core cortex and are liking the portability of being to be able to fit in a pelican case fully assembled i believe. Super x looks pretty awesome been reading good reviews and the vid above looks great. the m5 should be killer-more reasonable price and more cam/lens options and should perform great just like the m10 does. you could also use it on the ground-added benefit. side note-your tracking shot of that jeep on the gh3 test is one of my all time fave heli shot's!one thing i do notice but depends on the build i guess and prop size is sometimes i see the lower prop shadow on the x8's getting in frame. obviously you can angle the cam dow more. i wonder if you could use those mantis arms w/ x config to get rid of that issue.

For the step down stuff that gryphon power distribution board has a built in bec on that third level should be reliable. it's nice cause that third board has pre installed plugs for different voltages. scroll down it's called power disc bec. http://www.gryphon-mall.com/product.php?id_product=92

Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Ben, we have very similar thoughts. I would wait for the next set of brushless controllers to come out. I think that will answer itself in the next 4 months. gh4 is the goto cam for sure. the RAW in the BMPC would be nice as well. I dont care for 4k so much as some of the other features but the 4k is a nice option for some other things I have in mind. I had the y6 and xy8 on hoverfly pro and they were both buttery smooth and dead reliable. Both easy to pack in the back of car. I will tell you why I am leaning toward the y6 if the plan is a smaller camera.

It can easily be made to fold up non-intrusively to the wiring.
It also will never see props in the front FOV when flying fast and level.
You will not ever have a prop size conflict.
It does the best in wind.
It's the easiest to tell orientation in the air.
It has good redundancy.
on 6s could have more than enough time to negate the 10-15% efficiency loss.

I never noticed the yaw difference between the 2 on the Hoverfly pro but I did have issues with the y6 on the Wookong. I would definitely give the SuperX a shot next time around. As an alternative my second choice would be the XY8 or possibly just an X8. really the only reason to not have an XY8 config is if the controller doesnt accommodate it. i can say confidently the HFP does work very well. Drew said the SX doesnt but they also released a video saying that they have a config for their new XCOPE which has asymmetrical arms. But thats just a quad and not an octo config so not sure what would happen. The main difference is that, like the y6, you dont see props in the front FOV. One thing I have never seen a heli do, mainly due to the restriction of the gimbal software, is to have a camera look up while flying up. The y6 and xy8 are the only configs to do this aside from a v config which is not common to see. Even a standard X8 with the mantis arms couldnt do that shot. but I know that's not something to plan the entire build around. Hope some of this helps. I think sleep covered the rest of it.

ovdt

* For ESCs, I would go for a better one, Herkules III or Castle Creations. I'm using Herkules III and it's very very reliable.

* For camera gimbal control, you can try G-Lock brushless controller instead of Alexmos. I am also tired of Alexmos's weird problems. G-Lock looks promising, I'll upload an aerial footage soon.

* I have a concern about about Foxtech propeller quick detaches. I asked them about this but I couldn't get an answer. If the ESCs have active braking feature, will those adaptors come out of the motors? (MK BL 3.0, Herkules III, KDE's new prototype ESCs have this feature).

Here is my latest setup with Mikrokopter FC 2.5 + Herkules III + Avroto 3520 + Tiger 16" props + Brushless gimbal and 5D Mark III on board:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU_EHA3TmNk

It flies very safe 10 minutes with a single 6S 10A battery. (AUW 9.3 kg).

APVXtreme

APVXtreme
Hey Ben, good luck with the build. I'm contemplating another "heavy lifter" myself but we all run into the same questions.

ESC's/PDB Herkules III is the way to go if you ask me.

FC: I'm waiting for Synapse, I've been speaking with the lead developer and it looks like the release is coming up at NAB (ssshhhh). I want the first one.. MK is rock solid but a little bit of a learning curve and DJI well, you could go with A2. I hear great things about it but if you follow DJI the price will likely drop quite a bit in the next few months. I spent $20k building an S800 a little over a year ago and can get the same setup now for $6500...

Batteries: depends on the environment. Less windy days I go with a 4S on 15" prop for more flight time but for heavy wind 6S on 12" on my Y6

View attachment 16459

Props: I love the TMotors, been flying them for awhile now and other than wood I'd say they are the best out there.

Frame: I'm keeping my eye on the Gryphon Dynamics frames, they are strong yet break down easily. If they are good enough for the kopterworx X8 Hammer 20kg lifter they are good enough for me. Quadrocopter carries the line in the US if they ever get any stock. I like the Sky Hero frames too, we have a 750mm Spy Y6 and a 850mm Spyder X8 on it's way. They break down quick and can take a beating.

Motors: Your call, the UPower series looks good but I like the shaft size on the Avrotos. They just seem to be built stronger.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see how it goes, best of luck! All and all I keep leaning towards the boys over at Kopterworx. I'm going to pay them a visit in the next few months. The gear is expensive but if you follow what's happening with FAA and in my case TC all commercially used UAV's UAS's will need to be certified by the manufacturer and KW has been the only company (oh wait there is also heliguy.com) that are doing builds in EU that are being certified by the CAA. If you are lining up for future commercial use (and I know you are) it's worth a little research. Spend a little more now, save a lot more later.

That said, and I know we aren't talking quads I'm really liking my RECON ($3500) for it's 30+ minute flight time with NEX7. 60+ minute with gopro. It handles great in the wind and fly's like a disco. I see steadydrone has recently released the Qu4d X boasting a 60min flight time as well but it's $15000 base.

Fly Safe!

Jason

Attachments

• 1463756_329785240494196_596174976_n.jpg
    1463756_329785240494196_596174976_n.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 430

kloner

Aerial DP
good luck Ben.... I've gone to hex's with big motors. they weigh less and have more power, risks less gear, is less to build and with good enough stuff rendundancy to 8 motors isn't a necessity.

being somebody that flew hfp on xy8 configs coming up the ranks, i know the feel your after, it is nice to set a flight with hfp and just go hands off fo a smooth ride. when i moved on the first thing i noticed with atti systems that work was how easy it was to send the rig off 1000's of feet a few feet off the deck and not bob up and down, tracking fast stuff like cars and bikes becaame trivial, and all i did was add a bunch of expo and learn to lock my fingers on that same drift or flight like you and hold the stick, pretty easy once i got the nag of it. That superX would be my recomendation to you. if you like osd with voltage, has it's own with nav you can easily link to 2 cams if you want, nice little setup, kinda spendy but worth it. Cased too, metal at that. I has a really slow I gain like hfp and it seems to buck wind well. Like sleepy showed, the gps mode is pretty advanced and smooth. It is a filmers dream. I'm getting it approved over at Transport Risk so if insurance is a concern it'll be approved by them soon. It has that black box, so nice to see the logs in analyzed and raw forms. love that part.

oh, U7 are magical, you don't want them, you'll get the good stuff then, hmmmm..... the being stable part isn't the motor count or the config there bolted on in, it's the thrust to weight you go after

Some updates... Note: None of this is set in stone and is subject to change.

Frame: Pretty much set on a Vulcan Y6. I like the nice wide view that this will provide. And with the Vulcan, if I change my mind on the layout, I can change it!

Motors: I haven't plugged numbers for the KDE's into eCalc yet, but those motors are looking very promising. Kloner has shared some video from rigs using them and they sound really smooth. Also, it sounds like KDE is working on some ESCs that could be very efficient with their motors. These are due next month.

Power Distribution
: The board from Gryphon that sk8brd linked to looks very nice especially with the added voltage regulators. Is it possible to run two voltage regulators in parallel, so that if one stops working, the Hoverfly Pro still gets power? I need to look into that. Wishing the HFP could handle 6S Lipo from the factory...

Batteries: Given the motors I'm looking at, it will likely be a 6S setup. More money, but more flight time. Which means I can carry less batteries with us.

Gimbal: I threw down a deposit on a Movi M5 with Quadrocopter. Note that the pictures released so far are not the final version of that gimbal. I'm betting on it being good. I've messed with the M10 a bit and liked it. Got some good feedback on it from folks I trust. Hopefully the M5 will be of the same caliber but targeted at smaller cams. Word is it will start shipping March 15. Not sure when they'd ship mine. Additionally, we do a fair amount of traditional ground based production, so this will be a nice tool for that as well. It should pay for itself pretty quickly since it would be dual purpose.

Thoughts? Opinions? Keep the feedback coming - it is much appreciated!

All the best,
Ben

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
ben,

have you ever made a harness for one of your helicopters? they're easy to make and can be laid out so as to not interfere with the other stuff mounted around the helicopter. for the HF PRO I've used a small 3S pack and while it seemed like a nuisance at first, it later became a nice feature I enjoyed having just for the FC and LED's. it was on a switch so it stayed on the heli all day and just got turned on and off.

i'm curious also to see what KDE comes up with as far as ESC's are concerned.

for batteries, i've been using Turnigy Nano Tech and they've been great, they're affordable, and they make the power they're rated for.

looking forward to your review of the M5

can't argue with the HF PRO when you're already stocked up on good boards and know how to make them fly well. the A2 is new and hard to really rely on. SuperX is getting great reviews but does it fly every bit as well as the HF PRO? The PRO has been the best board I've flown, like a pattern plane of the multi-rotor world so unless you're just bored with flight-after-flight reliability, why change?

@kloner, the A2 is out of service?

janoots2

I've had great reliability and robustness with Spyder batteries (although pricey and wish for larger mah sizes), maytech/ZTW ESC's, and Avroto's (run through WKM). I think the A2 is clearing up after the latest firmware.

I would love to see a Vulcan Y6 with mantis front arms :nevreness:

ben,

have you ever made a harness for one of your helicopters? they're easy to make and can be laid out so as to not interfere with the other stuff mounted around the helicopter. for the HF PRO I've used a small 3S pack and while it seemed like a nuisance at first, it later became a nice feature I enjoyed having just for the FC and LED's. it was on a switch so it stayed on the heli all day and just got turned on and off.

i'm curious also to see what KDE comes up with as far as ESC's are concerned.

for batteries, i've been using Turnigy Nano Tech and they've been great, they're affordable, and they make the power they're rated for.

looking forward to your review of the M5

can't argue with the HF PRO when you're already stocked up on good boards and know how to make them fly well. the A2 is new and hard to really rely on. SuperX is getting great reviews but does it fly every bit as well as the HF PRO? The PRO has been the best board I've flown, like a pattern plane of the multi-rotor world so unless you're just bored with flight-after-flight reliability, why change?

With my larger builds so far, I've been using a harness I built for each. I may give a distro board a go this time though. Interesting idea with the 3S battery. I put a switch on our current gimbal and that has added a ton of convenience.

Bartman

With my larger builds so far, I've been using a harness I built for each. I may give a distro board a go this time though. Interesting idea with the 3S battery. I put a switch on our current gimbal and that has added a ton of convenience.

if the gimbal is also 3S it makes for a nice setup to have the flight packs separate from the FC, LED's, and gimbal.

what does the M5 run on?

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
if the gimbal is also 3S it makes for a nice setup to have the flight packs separate from the FC, LED's, and gimbal.

what does the M5 run on?

Specs:

• Battery Type: Lithium Polymer
  • Capacity: 2.6Ah
  • Voltage: 14.8v
  • Max Continuous Discharge: 3C (7.8A)
  • Max Burst Discharge: 5C (13A)
  • Max Charge Voltage: 4.2V per cell
  • Minimum Discharge Voltage: 3.0V per cell
  • Dimensions: [100mm (L) x 25mm (W) x 30mm (H)]
  • Weight: 200g

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
So I spent like 12 hours last night researching the Movi M5.(didn;t sleep at all, obsessing .. Thanks Ben)
And I think I’m going in that direction as well.

The Zenmuse is stuck to one cam, 1 lens... with the GH3 (well maybe 2 lenses) and a DJI FC... I don’t like that.
I have a solid working octo right now that just needs a solid working gimbal. AND I might want to change cams and lenses. If you go Zen then you have to sell a gimbal and re-up.
I’d rather just rebalance the M5 gimbal and continue flying in about an hour.

It’s $5K, but an A2 and a Zen w/ special suggested lens would be around $4300 sooooo really not that much of a difference. And I get to stay on my SuperX!

kloner

Aerial DP

no, it's just on the jib and it's 6-8 minute flights, new hex is 16-18 minute flights with the same packs..... the jib with a2 is moving to a backup/gh3 role...... My salesman has it more than i do setting it on studio execs desks a few days a week, they like looking at it or whatever

Bartman

being able to use the flight control of your choosing is certainly a huge plus.....i'd probably go 6S mikrokopter (FC 2.5 and BL 3.0) if I had to choose one, still might.....gooooo Bennnnnn!!

A2 Hexacopter that is in construction will be a fun flyer I guess???? :dejection: Maybe I should solicit pre-offers in case it doesn't make the team this year?

Bartman

no, it's just on the jib and it's 6-8 minute flights, new hex is 16-18 minute flights with the same packs..... the jib with a2 is moving to a backup/gh3 role...... My salesman has it more than i do setting it on studio execs desks a few days a week, they like looking at it or whatever

there's a lot to be said for dropping even last year's model on someone's desk when you walk in to meet with them.

kloner

Aerial DP
your gonna like it, it's alot like superX.... the gps mode and wind work well, i just need overhead for these heavy lifts and the 15" limit on the prop on the jib breaks the deal.... i'm on 18" now, 490 kv motors, 2 less so it's light, lovin it

The KDE 3520 motors running on 17 inch props and 6S batteries looks to be a great combo - long flight times. Still plugging numbers into eCalc....