Tau Labs The famous Warthox tests CopterControl

dankers

Exactly!

See for example this page:

http://wiki.openpilot.org/display/Doc/OS%27+CCcopter

In that section of the wiki we plan for people to add their own airframes. That is also a great example of the size advantage of CopterControl, it could of course been made smaller but not so it was compatible with existing frames, its all a balance. Still cool we can fly with a frame like that as well as fit on the stock MikroKopter frames also.

There is also a set up wizard we plan for the GCS that will help with this, it will ask a few basic questions about you airframe and how you fly, then generate a very good starting config. Its just time and with only a few people, its hard to get these things implemented.

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
All I can say is AMAZING! Bloody gob smacked.. Now all I have to do is get home and start playing with mine!

Quad_Addict

Right, he did change the settings. I've pushed for fairly conservative default settings. The unfortunate reality is the optimal settings are very dependent on prop, esc, battery, diameter, etc. Until we have one-platform-to-rule-them-all if you want the best performance you'll need to spend a bit of timing tweaking the settings.

For UAVs this gets worse and the build on top of guidance tier on top of the other settings.

One of the things we've discussed in the long run is self tuning though, but for now we've tried to describe it fairly simply on our wiki.

Right i been in the hobby for a long time i understand that, but the good thing for few of us sport flyers we use the same motors,props,& frames :) so the settings he uses gives us a good start, besides i always enjoy playing with different settings.
i mostly sport fly as well.

Quad_Addict

One thing you have to know, is that adjusting your stabilization settings is extremely easy on CopterControl through the ground control station. If you have a telemetry modem (pair of XBees until we release the PipX modem, for example), you can even do it in real time while flying ;) Ideally with a mate on the laptop keyboard or very good coordination...

yes! i want to setup xbee eventually as well and do what you say! the GCS looks wonderful!

Macsgrafs

A good thing to do if possible would be to publish some baseline settings other than the default setup. For example give some base settings to start with if you want to fly mainly aerobatics and another set to start with if stable APV is the main use. That way people that have little experience with tuning a flight controller will have a starting point that gets them going and a little guidance on what the effect of changing each parameter is will let them dial it in to their liking from there.

Ken

I'm with Ken, brilliant idea, at least us oldies get a chance then ;)

Ross