Tau Labs The famous Warthox tests CopterControl

jes1111

Presumably Warthox liked CC then? Presuming that video#1 really was his first flight with CC (and he was therefore on "default" everything), he seemed to immediately start chucking it around the sky like his normal craft and CC didn't miss a beat. I'd say that was a pretty good endorsement! Congrats to all the OP coders!

Quad_Addict

he doesnt suprise me, i am def interested in finding out settings, a German friend said it was not default setting and default wasnt good for him, so i would like to know :)

all 3 videos

Last edited by a moderator:

Right, he did change the settings. I've pushed for fairly conservative default settings. The unfortunate reality is the optimal settings are very dependent on prop, esc, battery, diameter, etc. Until we have one-platform-to-rule-them-all if you want the best performance you'll need to spend a bit of timing tweaking the settings.

For UAVs this gets worse and the build on top of guidance tier on top of the other settings.

One of the things we've discussed in the long run is self tuning though, but for now we've tried to describe it fairly simply on our wiki.

CheBuzz

Wow. Amazing. I kept thinking while watching those videos how many times I would have crashed attempting something remotely similar.

Excellent flying and good to see the CopterControl put through its paces.

Wind Nomad

I was impressed how stable the stable mode was ... and so was he ....

'the stable mode is the best i ever flew with. very good work guys. i can fly arround only using pitch and yaw. roll is stabilized perfectly thats also how i flew the stable mode in the videos.'

Thats taken from his mini review on RC Groups.

This is great news for those of us who want to do AP / AV.

That bloke Warthox seems to live in perfect weather land.

The default settings might be a bit stiff for people with experience but it has been demonstrated and tested that they fly Tri,Quad and Hex.

It was a difficult balance deciding what to make those settings better something rather than just sending it with everything at 0, of course if you want a more hectic flying experience you can create it in the GCS for yourself!

Pip

Wonderful Worthox :) ... I thought the CC sensors were going to max out with how he flies but it looks great.

What you should have done is to have got the quad to grab the RC car while flying along side it and wisk it off into the sunset!

I keep telling you Pip back in your box and keep working

(Pip has created another ground breaking bit, and is a core developer across the OpenPilot range of cool things)

You meant almost like this one Pip

Last edited by a moderator:

Buzzed

Hey I can do all those high speed manuvers, unfortunately when I do the bird is outta my control, as in gonna CRASH.

Great flying guys....

edouard

he doesnt suprise me, i am def interested in finding out settings, a German friend said it was not default setting and default wasnt good for him, so i would like to know :)

One thing you have to know, is that adjusting your stabilization settings is extremely easy on CopterControl through the ground control station. If you have a telemetry modem (pair of XBees until we release the PipX modem, for example), you can even do it in real time while flying ;) Ideally with a mate on the laptop keyboard or very good coordination...

dankers

I should add you can actually you can change *anything* in flight, a key design goal for the OpenPilot platform was to not have any of this recompile to change settings stuff!

edouard

I should add you can actually you can change *anything* in flight, a key design goal for the OpenPilot platform was to not have any of this recompile to change settings stuff!

Yes, it's quite nice. Though you can, it does not mean you should ;-) We have assumed a basic level of survival instinct for pilots in our configuration controls and what they let you do: if you attempt to reconfigure your motor layout or RC channel input configuration in flight, you should probably make sure you are high enough before clicking on "Apply", have spares handy and no one around ! It might just be possible to reconfigure a hexacopter to a quadcopter in-flight in case of motor failure, I'll have to attempt this one day...

ssassen

His Royal Sassiness
.. you can even do it in real time while flying ;) Ideally with a mate on the laptop keyboard or very good coordination...

I'm a pretty good pilot myself and a fast typist, but making changes on a notebook whilst flying might be a little too much for most, or at least me. Have you considered a 'park mode', basically freeze the multicopter in 3D space? Flipping a switch on the Tx could enable that, giving you ample time (well, until the batts run out) to make changes.

Cheers,

Sander - ImmersionRC

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
A good thing to do if possible would be to publish some baseline settings other than the default setup. For example give some base settings to start with if you want to fly mainly aerobatics and another set to start with if stable APV is the main use. That way people that have little experience with tuning a flight controller will have a starting point that gets them going and a little guidance on what the effect of changing each parameter is will let them dial it in to their liking from there.

Ken