Tarot T810 Build

AzViper

Tim,

Good deal... I had looked at those motors, but TMotors never replied to my emails so I took my money and ran to KDE and bought 4014 -380 motors. Looking at their website now, they are expensive on everything else. The sales person must have made an error.

talunceford

Actually they had them on sale on their web site. Kinda crazy. I will take deals like that all day long. Now, I do have my tarot 4114 motors for sale for $180 bucks for all 6. Great motors if you dont need to lift more than 5-6 kg. I flew with them for about 35 minutes total.

talunceford

Welp, had my first test flight today. Everything went really well. Hovers at 50% throttle, and lots of pep. You can definitely tell that it has some weight to it though. Still need to tweak the gains on the bird and on the gimbal. Flight time is going to be around 12-15 min by my best estimation, which is based on how many mah I used during my flight today. Motors were warm, speed controls were normal temp, my blood pressure on the other hand was through the roof lol! Yea! Ok, damn it, time to get to my studies.....

Thanks to all that helped me out to get to this point!

Last edited by a moderator:

talunceford

Haven't had a chance yet. Weather went from 65 degrees to freezing in a couple days lol! Snowed last night and was windy and nasty the day before. Kinda frustrating LOL! Hopefully I can get a couple hours worth of tweaking done. I've got my remote gain setup on my controller so, I think I can adjust it that way and then get it locked down from there. Once that happens I will get a flight in to check the overall flight time.

talunceford

Ok, now that I have the bird in the air, I got my flytron IR shutter release in and am wondering if any of you have experience with setting up the Turnigy 9x to operate an IR shutter of this type. I've got it working, but it only works some of the time, maybe 85% of the time does it actually trip the IR sensor on the camera. Maybe it is the IR sensor on my camera, I don't think so however. I can trip it with the IR shutter app on my Galaxy s4 all day long. Now, my camera is a Sony alpha series camera, not the nex line, but the larger bodied models. Maybe the sensor is just quirky who knows. My second thought is whether there is another type of RC shutter trigger that can be activated through either the Remote port on the camera OR the hdmi port on the camera.

Any suggestions? Ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

AzViper

Tim,

you may want to ask over RCGroups. Under a thread titled Flytron IR Shutter. I get the feeling there is not a lot of traffic here at Multi-Rotor.

talunceford

Well, I ordered a second x8r receiver last night. I read where you can bind two receivers to one radio profile and use the second receiver to get channels 9-16. With that in mind, I think I can eliminate my second controller and run everything off of one radio. Which is absolutely cool. As soon as that gets done, I will post another video of the process and get some documentation on that so that us Taranis users can use it later.

talunceford

Yep, saw that one. The cool thing about using two receivers is that I can keep my 3rd axis of my gimbal. I use one as my flight receiver and one as my gimbal controller, without any wires going between, which is the reason I am using two receivers now. The whole gimbal frame moves 360 degrees. :)

talunceford

Well, the Taranis works just as it should with 2 receivers. I spent the better part of an evening working on it. Works Awesome! The only thing that doesn't work well is my shutter control. I am not really that impressed with the IR sensor on my camera. I have come to the conclusion that it has to be the IR sensor on the camera and not anything else. SO, this is what I am going to end up doing. Instead of running an ir sensor, I am going to purchase this instead.

http://vp-systems.eu/camremote.html

I will hard wire it into the wired "remote" port of my camera and be done. Honestly, I think this is the best possible solution out there for camera operation. Won't know until I get it here.

I will post a video of the radio config when I get a chance.

talunceford

Ok, I have a question. I flew a bit yesterday and encountered an issue. It seems that my flight times are really poor. I am using two 10c 6600mah multistars on my hex, and I believe that the cool temps outside worked against me. I noticed that my voltage dropped like a rock yesterday under load, but my capacity used was only about 1/5 of what the batteries are rated at. When I pulled the batteries off and put them on the charger again, I had only used 1400-1500 mah in about 5 min. However my loaded voltage was seen at 21.6v. Am I correct in thinking that the colder temps worked against me with that battery type? Should I move to a battery that has more c value to it?

Suggestions are welcomed.

talunceford

So my CamRemote came in on Friday, and what a difference it made in how my camera responds. Bye Bye sketchy IR controls. Mind you, this doesn't control the video portion of the camera, as far as I can tell that is. However, it does give me some control on how my camera responds to inputs from my transmitter. I can perform continuous shots, anything from a single shot, to up to several shots. It controls the autofocus, and if your camera supports zoom, it will control that as well. It was shipped in from Finland, and took less than 2 weeks to get to my door. Price in US dollars for me was about $107, but that also included the remote port cable. There is some tinkering with the settings to get it to work, as you have to set your endpoints properly, but as with anything RC, you almost expect that to be part of setting something up on your rig. Anyway, I will get a video up on the setup real soon.

talunceford

So, it has been a few months since I posted. Been super busy with tons of different things going on, but the one thing that I haven't done much of is fly. Weather here has been kinda crappy. Either too windy or too rainy. However, this has given me the time to finally tweak my gimbal to my liking. I think it is ready for prime time.

In the video you will see that the pan settings are a bit off.... to put it lightly. I stumbled across some PID settings for the controller and opted to use the found values for the yaw to see what difference (if any) it would make. Low and behold, it fixed the issue with the gimbal yaw.