Tarot T810 Build

talunceford

Sweet. Thanks for the lesson fellas! The one thing that did concern me a bit was the temp of the case of the KDEs. Should I worry about that? Also, what would you recommend for an esc? Thanks again for the very helpful information. It has opened my eyes on a few things and caused me to look at other options and brands! I guess the entire goal of this build is to have a hex that will fly my existing smaller bodied mirrorless camera (alpha series Sony) around, not a full sized DSLR, but have enough expandability and potential to support another mirrorless camera in the future or different lenses etc.

More questions to ask and more research to do.

Pumpkinguy

I want to mention that just because AzV and I are using kde's it doesn't mean you should. We picked them for our application based on our research. That doesn't mean they are the best. I was more or less trying to get you to open your mind to the fact that there are many good brands.

AzViper

Personally I am using the KDE's ESC's as they are setup to their motors and nothing else to do. Give Chris (chris.mcvey@kdedirect.com) a shout and tell him these four things and he will help you out.

What is the total flying weight with future add-ons
What is the configuration (how many motors)
What is the prop size
What is the battery voltage

talunceford

Sweet thanks guys for all of your insight. Yes you have opened my eyes to many other brands out there for sure. Thanks so much!

AzViper

Tim, I second what Pump stated in his last post. In regards to KDE I like having a company here in the USA to turn to. They are located in Washington State. Parts are readily available and customer service is second to none, but you do have plenty of options.

I am totally new to multicopters but have educated myself by watching lots of videos and reading everything I can. I am a perfectionist at heart and think things out. Sometimes over think things out, but that is what an engineer does.

talunceford

Yessir, I totally agree with that. Thanks again fellas, I will be leaning on your ears again real soon. I guess what my biggest issue right now to figure out is motors, then escs, then power distribution.

Pumpkinguy

Id hate to promote my own thread but I just finished up a scratch built power distribution in my gryphon build thread.
So many options commercially available or you can build your own.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
There should be an icon for a thread that is raging.....I keep checking in at the site and this thread is sitting there at the top each time.

talunceford

Personally I am using the KDE's ESC's as they are setup to their motors and nothing else to do. Give Chris (chris.mcvey@kdedirect.com) a shout and tell him these four things and he will help you out.

What is the total flying weight with future add-ons
What is the configuration (how many motors)
What is the prop size
What is the battery voltage

Sent him an email. Hopefully will get some feedback real soon.

talunceford

Ok, after much research, I think I have come to a conclusion. The KDE motors were just a tad outa my price range, but I think I have settled on a motor that will be more than sufficient and keep my costs down enough so that I can invest some of the remaining budget into better speed controls and power distribution. I decided to run with the MN4120-465 motors from TMOTOR. I followed the formula and these fit the bill. 1580g @ 50% power and will hover around 54% throttle. This combination will also leave me with over 3kg of additional payload. This is based off of a 7.2 kg AUW. I think I will need different speed controls as my 40 amps probably won't be enough. Which is ok.

AzViper

Tim,

Look at the efficiency of the T Motor 4120 - 465 the range is 4.90 - 7.65 G/W. The KDE is 6.15 - 9.71. I totally understand the cost thing. Plug the numbers in and see what you come up with in flight times. I bought the slightly smaller KDE's 4014 -380 due to how efficient they are. I ended up buying two more motors cause I know I will be moving onto a bigger rotor. I will be able to swing bigger props with even more efficiency and have 1810g of thrust at 50% per motor once I move to a hexacopter

talunceford

Yep, the flight times are almost identical. 10.2 vs 10.1 at 7.2 kg using 6600 x 2 multistars. Now should I be worried if ecalc isn't throwing up any indicators that the speed controls are going to be an issue? From your experience, what indicator should I look at to start basing my judgement on whether or not I need to upgrade/replace? Total amps drawn at max power? Any help here will be of great use too.

AzViper

I have not read in your thread of the ESC's you are using or the rated amps. Looking at the T-Motor spec's I would say you would be safe with 60a ESC's, but again you may get away with smaller ESC's provided on short burst of power. Personally I would weigh on the safer side and stick with ESC's that give you that wiggle room. I am one that always questions what's the best alternative and usually take the safer path. What batteries are you using, 6s?

talunceford

Well, I guess I kinda messed up a bit on my ecalc.... I had the wrong internal resistance of the battery. Which actually yields some interesting results as far as motor choices now. Which at looking at the ecalc, lends to the evidence that people were getting using some of the motors that I was looking at. Makes total sense now. Can someone verify this for me? Total AUW is 7kg, batteries are 6600 6s 10/20c batteries (2) in parallel, motors will be the TMotor 4120 465 with 50/70 amp speed controls. Cooling is good, altitude is 2920ft. Temp is 77 deg. f. Props are 15x5.5. Battery capacity set to full. I used the default 6000 mah battery spec, set to custom, changed the capacity to 6600 (the 20/30 c battery) and set the c values to 20/40 (because of being in parallel). I also changed the weight of the battery to 132.33 instead of the 157 that it showed. The batteries weigh in at 794g / 6 = 132.33g.

I am showing hover at around 44% throttle. I think now I can look at some more efficient motors without the worry of weight. Agreed?

Last edited by a moderator:

talunceford

New motors are here. I ended up going with the TMotor 4014-9-400kv. 50% throttle real world thrust is about 1300g with a 15x5 prop.Motor will pull 21.4 amps at 100% throttle dishing out 3100g of thrust with the 15x5. Got one HELL of a deal on the motors. $57 each from RCDepot out of California. The ecalc indicates that I will have around 12 min of flight time and will hover at 49% throttle. Will get the batteries charged and get a test flight in this weekend with video. Going to double check my settings and get it in the air.