XAircraft SuperX

Dhardjono

Best i can tell from everything i'm looking at either a bearing went or an esc shuttoff mid flight. shows #2 going full throttle, well the video shows the nose fall..... Kinda surprised it wouldn't go into more of a yaw issue and just drop the nose,,,, but yea.... sob, she went in really hard..... at 30lbs

i had been flying over the bay all up till this, kinda wish it just went in the water..... coulda walked away and made like it never happened. Some old guy came walking out of somewhere shaking his head watching me do the clean up of shame @ 4:30 am on a sunday.... camera blew apart, lens flew off a few hundred feet..... what a mess

ah well, the love of the sport can't dampen my drive, NEXT

sorry your loss i had similar just drop flights before this was there a noticeable yaw jerk slight that what happen to me before after couple of flight :upset:

Last edited by a moderator:

yeehaanow

I have one that looked just like that.. Do you have recorded data on the esc's? The Castles have great data that I found much more helpful than the superX..

Cedar, did you see a sudden pitch command just like in Kloner's log? Was it also on a hex?

Kloner, I thought the RSSI was supposed to be significantly higher, ideally? You're getting into the 20's a lot and that seems pretty low to me...
It's crazy because everything looks spot on, low vibration, hover right at 50%, and nice sat lock. Are you using EZUHF?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Cedar, did you see a sudden pitch command just like in Kloner's log? Was it also on a hex?

Kloner, I thought the RSSI was supposed to be significantly higher, ideally? You're getting into the 20's a lot and that seems pretty low to me...
It's crazy because everything looks spot on, low vibration, hover right at 50%, and nice sat lock. Are you using EZUHF?

I noticed that same thing. I thought it was supposed to up closer to 50, no?

kloner

Aerial DP
there was no freeway, that is taxi cabs on harbor drive on a sunday morning at 4 am....1100mm hex

looking at that screen, the two left numbers bouncing around is is the rssi, o is perfect, 100 is leaving,,,,, they are super sensitive,,,,, BAD is bad packets and maintained 0 the whole flight even staring at the ground, they build up so you know you had hit failsafe..... the 100 is the link quality and is what starts to fade when there is a problem, 100 is perfect, 0 means shes not there anymore.... the disco pro runs on the same method.... the two numbers bouncing is each antenna and it's a diversity receiver... There was no radio breakup....... theres a pretty high probability of me pulling back on the elevator when it pitched down, when there was ZERO response, i chopped the throttle.....end of log was before it hit the ground.....

facts:

nose dropped
motor 2 went full throttle
no response
radio had signal rock solid even on the ground, during the hit, when it happened.....it was 80 feet away

@ 6:03, see that car, almost bought it, landed in the parking stall next to it.... cars2go... http://sandiego.car2go.com

EzOSD and taranis are two completely different systems.....

here is the same rig running around it's first flights.... i don't even have any video nor ever seen the rssi budge,,, only been 2 miles out but the actual link quality never moved below 90.....

kloner

Aerial DP
EzUHF and EzOSD is a system as well, and that's what your looking at. This is the standard for long range fpv,,,,, places like frsky come along changing how every other system looks at stuff, like osd 50 being a max number, theres already 20 other companies with osd's that tell rssi and that's not the standard... 0-100 is

kloner

Aerial DP
This is what a tbs discovery pro with a built in osd has, it's the same numbers, amp draw, mah, rssi, bad packets, signal strength..... immersion calls rssi - link quality, or at least as i know them.... the solid number is the RSSI, the bouncy ones is each antennas link quality.... those bouncy ones get to 100, then the rssi on the right will start to drop.... it's like a pre warning your getting out of range or something between you and it

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
EzUHF and EzOSD is a system as well, and that's what your looking at. This is the standard for long range fpv,,,,, places like frsky come along changing how every other system looks at stuff, like osd 50 being a max number, theres already 20 other companies with osd's that tell rssi and that's not the standard... 0-100 is

I'm not looking at anything! I was simply replying to a question about RSSI signal strength, have no interest other than that, and certainly no interest in comparing 'things' :cold:

skquad

I remember reading (I think on RCG) that a guy with an octo threw a motor and didn't realise until he went through the logs. I would expect that for a hex and octo you would at the very least be able to land without too much trouble. On a quad - no chance...

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
We have had this conversation over the years and concluded that it was not so much the controller but the configuration that allowed an octo/x8/y6 to do so well with a motor out. I think only recently have controllers added software to adapt to a motor out. This requires the heli to actually know a motor is out though which they , as of yet, dont do. I am guessing DJI made the FC aware of an out of normal yaw to detect it? Not sure.

On my first Xaircraft I had a motor port on the flight controller itself go dead mid flight. I wonder if this is what happened to you Steve.

yeehaanow

there was no freeway, that is taxi cabs on harbor drive on a sunday morning at 4 am....1100mm hex

looking at that screen, the two left numbers bouncing around is is the rssi, o is perfect, 100 is leaving,,,,, they are super sensitive,,,,, BAD is bad packets and maintained 0 the whole flight even staring at the ground, they build up so you know you had hit failsafe..... the 100 is the link quality and is what starts to fade when there is a problem, 100 is perfect, 0 means shes not there anymore.... the disco pro runs on the same method.... the two numbers bouncing is each antenna and it's a diversity receiver... There was no radio breakup....... theres a pretty high probability of me pulling back on the elevator when it pitched down, when there was ZERO response, i chopped the throttle.....end of log was before it hit the ground.....

facts:

nose dropped
motor 2 went full throttle
no response
radio had signal rock solid even on the ground, during the hit, when it happened.....it was 80 feet away

@ 6:03, see that car, almost bought it, landed in the parking stall next to it.... cars2go... http://sandiego.car2go.com

EzOSD and taranis are two completely different systems.....

here is the same rig running around it's first flights.... i don't even have any video nor ever seen the rssi budge,,, only been 2 miles out but the actual link quality never moved below 90.....

Ah right, I forgot how he RSSI worked. Pretty much rules out radio issues in my mind.
So have you tested your esc's and checked motors post crash?
Were you looking through the FVP cam at the time? and that's what caused your pitch reaction?

I would speculate that a 30lb hex would not do well with a motor out on just about any flight controller. The DJI method seems to be to apply full rudder so that it will spiral down but not flip- of course, to figure out which way to yaw depends on what motor went out. There's a great demo of a quad that manages "controlled" flight after losing a motor using this method, from one of the robotics labs on YT.

This is scary that it's not just you, but Beauregard too. I'm guessing both of you were not using just any old cheapo ESC's either, and not pulling more than 10 amps per motor. I guess it happens that a bearing goes mid flight, but it seems unlikely.
Which leaves only one cause...

yeehaanow

So I have had something funny happen twice now. I have an X8 and on two separate occasions, only the top 4 motors started when I armed. After a simple reboot it works fine. Anyone else had this?