XAircraft SuperX

jfro

Aerial Fun
Any suggestions. Carbon frame quad with Avroto 3515's, SuperX, PLus 40amp ESC's, 6s 8000mHa battery on top. Electronics on center plate above arms, Puck on top plate (3rd) and battery there. GPS works fine.

Swap out Avroto's for KDE 3520's. No other change. Wires routed the same way, same plugs etc on wires.. No GPS lock. Flying in ATI give red/green flash. Go through all calibration steps again. Calibrates correctly, but still no work. Moved into more open area from area I always test (which works), still no work.

Put 5-6" riser on top plate and put the puck up top, maybe 2-3 " above battery. Still no work.

Put Avroto's back on, tape cables under the arm as this is just temp test. Puck works.

Any ideas?

skquad

Any suggestions. Carbon frame quad with Avroto 3515's, SuperX, PLus 40amp ESC's, 6s 8000mHa battery on top. Electronics on center plate above arms, Puck on top plate (3rd) and battery there. GPS works fine.

Swap out Avroto's for KDE 3520's. No other change. Wires routed the same way, same plugs etc on wires.. No GPS lock. Flying in ATI give red/green flash. Go through all calibration steps again. Calibrates correctly, but still no work. Moved into more open area from area I always test (which works), still no work.

Put 5-6" riser on top plate and put the puck up top, maybe 2-3 " above battery. Still no work.

Put Avroto's back on, tape cables under the arm as this is just temp test. Puck works.

Any ideas?

What is the autopilot module sitting next too?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

jfro

Aerial Fun
What is the autopilot module sitting next too?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

flight controller in center. Just to the left looking from behind I have the I/O module. to the right is a buck converter converting 6s down to 12v. Nothing very close.
Off back is my Futaba receiver.
Underneath that plate is the 4 esc's. s

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I was getting the same green/red flash for GPS after "successfully" doing my first calibration. By that I mean the LED came back happy after the calibration and didn't show the fail afterwards.

I redid did the calibration my next time out in the EXACT same location, and it looked the same - but got GPS lock.

Might just oust need to redo the cal even if it seems like it was correct.

jfro

Aerial Fun
yikes.... odd

you did the calibration dance right? does it fly in atti?

I did the calibration dance when my puck was in the same position (orig) with the KDE's as it was with the Avroto 3515's.

I did not do the calibration dance after raising the GPS puck higher. However, when I put the Avroto's back on with Puck raised, the gps worked, but position hold was a little loose.

KDE's with both lower (after calibration) and upper GPS puck position (without recalibrating), It flew ok in ATI mode, but got the red/green flash while flying.

I was thinking of trying the KDE"s with my Naza v2, but since I now know my superX is not broken, (it's soon going back on my x8), I may give the KDE's one more chance and do the calibration dance with the puck up high. My common sense says this isn't going to work, but I'll give it one more chance. Otherwise, I may sell them and get some more Avroto's 3515's.

Not sure why I'm spending so much time on this as I'm going to use the superX on my x8 or maybe convert it to a hex. For now the quad is going to be Naza or maybe a Pixhawk that's been sitting on the shelf for 6 weeks. Just need more time......

jfro

Aerial Fun
I was getting the same green/red flash for GPS after "successfully" doing my first calibration. By that I mean the LED came back happy after the calibration and didn't show the fail afterwards.

I redid did the calibration my next time out in the EXACT same location, and it looked the same - but got GPS lock.

Might just oust need to redo the cal even if it seems like it was correct.

Guess I'll have to try the calibration dance 2 times with the raised puck.

kloner

Aerial DP
that pixhawk is pretty dang cool. we have one on a disco,,,, does a lot of weird automated stuff, scares the crap out of me but there it is doing it

the magnets are supposedly different than normal ones..... did you ask kde if anybody else ever complained about this. Honestly, i don't use gps pucks on anything with these so i don't know if a naza one works or not.......

from my experience this makes no since at all, but from an understanding of electronic standpoint, i totaly believe you..... the only thing i've seen mess with gps is 1.2 video gear.

isn't the red green flash you would have seen not suppose to happen unless your in gps mode and you loose signal?

Dhardjono

Guess I'll have to try the calibration dance 2 times with the raised puck.

JFRO make sure you stop *** soon *** you see the slow blinking light than rotate to the next position do the same as soon as you see slow blink freeze and rotate i had problem with calibration i would keep moving to original position than it did not calibrate correctly.

jfro

Aerial Fun
that pixhawk is pretty dang cool. we have one on a disco,,,, does a lot of weird automated stuff, scares the crap out of me but there it is doing it

the magnets are supposedly different than normal ones..... did you ask kde if anybody else ever complained about this. Honestly, i don't use gps pucks on anything with these so i don't know if a naza one works or not.......

from my experience this makes no since at all, but from an understanding of electronic standpoint, i totaly believe you..... the only thing i've seen mess with gps is 1.2 video gear.

isn't the red green flash you would have seen not suppose to happen unless your in gps mode and you loose signal?

When I was in ati mod I'd get the red green flash. I landed and unplugged the puck and all was ok, no green flash. Plugged it back in and got the flashing lights. Which stayed on for everything with the KDE. Once I put the Avroto's 3515 back on, it was ok.

Dhardjono, I get the correct light sequences when I do the calibration dance. I may try it again, as I said earlier, I did not do another after raising the puck with the KDE's.

The KDE motors are taller than the Avroto's. My dealer thought it was some sort of electrical interference coming from changing motors and maybe having the gps puck near the battery and not above the motors. I didn't put wires back inside my cf tubes, so it's just a matter of 32 screws and realigning motors (about 2 hrs or less) to make the change if I can find some time.

I have so much to get done in next couple weeks, I may have to bag this for a while and just use the KDE's with either the Pixhawk or my Naza V2. I have less than 20 days to get x8 running on superX, pixhawk on test quad, and get the kde quad running on a my 2nd (stay in the air a long time) quad. And then fine tune 2 gimbals.... and redesign/build a 3rd gimbal...

Feeling a bit overwhelmed.....

Dhardjono

When I was in ati mod I'd get the red green flash. I landed and unplugged the puck and all was ok, no green flash. Plugged it back in and got the flashing lights. Which stayed on for everything with the KDE. Once I put the Avroto's 3515 back on, it was ok.

Dhardjono, I get the correct light sequences when I do the calibration dance. I may try it again, as I said earlier, I did not do another after raising the puck with the KDE's.

The KDE motors are taller than the Avroto's. My dealer thought it was some sort of electrical interference coming from changing motors and maybe having the gps puck near the battery and not above the motors. I didn't put wires back inside my cf tubes, so it's just a matter of 32 screws and realigning motors (about 2 hrs or less) to make the change if I can find some time.

I have so much to get done in next couple weeks, I may have to bag this for a while and just use the KDE's with either the Pixhawk or my Naza V2. I have less than 20 days to get x8 running on superX, pixhawk on test quad, and get the kde quad running on a my 2nd (stay in the air a long time) quad. And then fine tune 2 gimbals.... and redesign/build a 3rd gimbal...

Feeling a bit overwhelmed.....

Wow you busy what is a kidde and pihawk looks like ?

jfro

Aerial Fun
Putting KDE's on right now for a quick calibration and couple minute flight before day get's into full swing. If this works, fine, if not, I'm going to bag the trouble shooting and put the KDE 3520 400kv motors on my quad and test with my Naza V2/GPS combo.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Putting KDE's on right now for a quick calibration and couple minute flight before day get's into full swing. If this works, fine, if not, I'm going to bag the trouble shooting and put the KDE 3520 400kv motors on my quad and test with my Naza V2/GPS combo.

Good luck, curious to see how it turns out.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Thanks everyone. Issue Resolved. Operator Error.

Put motors back on. Wired exactly the same. Puck is in same raised position. 3+ inches above top of motors. and 1.5+ inches above battery.

Did calibration dance 2x, stopping when led changed, not when I got my customary 3 revolutions in.

Popped it down in open area, and boom, pretty quick sat link. Flew in ati and gps mode, with correct handling and correct led's.

My mistake was I recalibrated before changing puck height with the KDE motors, but not again after raising the gps puck. I'm strictly in test mode with SuperX testing & gimbals, so I haven't had the need to do a lot of calibrations. Imbed in brain, whenever change puck, recalibrate.

Sorry for the misdirections and again, thanks for all the suggestions.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Quick question for clarification. I searched this thread and google at large, but still not feeling 100% on this...

I am running the SuperX with a futaba 14SG and 7008sb via sbus. I want to make sure I have the Safe Mode/Fail safe set up correctly.

My only previous set up was for multiwii, where I dictated where each stick and aux would be in the event of a signal loss (i.e. Aux switch to stable mode, P R Y centered & throttle at 35% etc).

With the superx I'm wondering if I should simply leave the Tx F/S features/control alone and have it just kick to activate safe mode switch on (channel 6)? It seems if the Tx was trying g to do anything other than activate channel 6 to on position, it would just be fighting the SuperX safe mode commands.

Thanks in advance. I know this probably seems obvious, but I want to be sure before I test.

Scott

fltundra

Quick question for clarification. I searched this thread and google at large, but still not feeling 100% on this...

I am running the SuperX with a futaba 14SG and 7008sb via sbus. I want to make sure I have the Safe Mode/Fail safe set up correctly.

My only previous set up was for multiwii, where I dictated where each stick and aux would be in the event of a signal loss (i.e. Aux switch to stable mode, P R Y centered & throttle at 35% etc).

With the superx I'm wondering if I should simply leave the Tx F/S features/control alone and have it just kick to activate safe mode switch on (channel 6)? It seems if the Tx was trying g to do anything other than activate channel 6 to on position, it would just be fighting the SuperX safe mode commands.

Thanks in advance. I know this probably seems obvious, but I want to be sure before I test.

Scott

You want it to just activate "safe mode" on channel 6.