XAircraft SuperX

kloner

Aerial DP
i've noticed when you ask drew a question that doesn't make since or if you asking them weird cross platform questions that they most likely don't know there answer. yes radian is a standalone system. yes zen requires an imu from a dji flight controller. i wouldn't call the dji solution better, it is full of compromises, you can achieve the same level of stability with blood sweat and tears but to be anything like it requires a brushless gimbal, and radian is a servo based system.

you will find way more experienced people to ask that stuff here.... with real world opinions

coreyperez

I may not been explicative enough. When I was first starting out (Nov 13) I was looking for an aerial platform for photography. Nobody can really argue that 90%+ of the companies currently serving the multi-rotor groups give poor instructions and information regarding their components. I REALLY wanted the XAircraft SuperX but was not able to find the “all-in-one” type solution that DJI provided. By no means am I saying DJI does it better, nor am I stating their solution truly is an all-in-one solution, BUT, their marketing DOES provide good information, decent instructions and “up front” answers. That alone is why I think DJI basically has the Multi-rotor market in their hands. Not because they do it better, but because they actually TELL/sell what they do, and provide “mostly”-in-one solutions. I know Stella is now released, BUT if it was out last year, XA did a really bad job marketing it. I looked long and hard for another solution, but DJI was the answer I didn’t really want. Regardless, I’ve got an Orange box on my Hex.

Now, on the Gimbal solution, I understand that the Radian is a servo based system. 100% love it! There isn’t anything on the market that can touch it. (My opinion) It’s exactly what I’m looking for. I have a Zen gimbal for GoPro, (and will probably never use it). I’ve only mounted it on a landing gear and tucked it away with my spare parts. I just recently purchased a Nex-7 and I refuse to spend another $2500 for a single camera (application specific) gimbal. I can get the CineStar 3-Axis gimbal with Radian for $300 more than the NEX Zenmuse gimbal and put anything I want on it (Hero – DSLR). No Brainer in my book.

Ultimately, my original post was about asking XA to pony up and answer the question they themselves boasted about last year that they had an update coming soon. That was almost 5 months ago. “Soon” was over with a long time ago! Once again, going back to poor marketing. If it wasn’t close to being ready, it shouldn’t be called “soon”.

Corey

kloner

Aerial DP
it's kinda a weird way to look at these as needing to be complete systems. for instance, the superx with a osd is similar to wk or a2 with iosd. those are complete systems. not everybody uses gimbals, untill a year ago when brushless came out a servo based av200 was as advanced as it got, they costed around $2400 with a 3rd axis, you used to resell used ones as much as a new one, now since brushless came out, there worthless, can be hard to find cause nobody wants to accept there only worth $500 if you can find that.

the av200 brushless gimbal is money, light so a rig like that would have a chance to lift it.... one thing a small rig for a payload does is bobble around alot, that combigned with a servo gimbal equals not easy to enjoy footage..... The cs gimbal isn't all it's cracked up to be,,, reds on it, yea, good luck. That'll take alot of fussing, modding, etc...... av is bolt and play servo or brushless, just now your throwing money away if you think you want to resell a servo gimbal. and yea, they take alot of fussing too even with radian

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Corey, well said. DJI is the answer you dont really want. Couldn't have put it better.

Xaircraft has always been very bad at marketing. They need to hire someone that can spruce up their image. Their website is light years better but still lacks some info such as videos. I wish they would pay me to do an intro for them. :)

In the end I think good products speak for themselves. Competing with Dji is a difficult t task since their name is everywhere. Every article and. Des clip you see is all Dji. It's hit the mainstream photo/video world as the first goto aerial system. It takes time and money. But clearly doesn't take a perfect product.

I think xaircraft offers a really good economical alternative to the wookong/a2. I just don't think jing Chen wants to fight the Clingons for interstellar domination.

cabo_wabo

Huge crowds at Photokina last year whipping out $15K preorders for Firefly's MOVI - It's totally awesome ! The secret sauce isn't the hardware, that's the easy part, its the very smooth and elastic software "Majestic Mode" that makes any motion literally perfect ! No comparison to the Radians and photohigher rigs, different class completely. The 3-axis mini-version M5 is due out next month, should be flyable with a decent octa for anything less than a Red or Alexa.

http://player.vimeo.com/video/80748235?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0&autoplay=1

Zero UAV has some interesting 3-axis products too, mostly for domestic market, although they'll be at NAB this year with their Reds:

http://www.zerouav.com/cn/Product/42/487.html

kloner

Aerial DP
i would if there was such a thing as a spare,,, theres no bullets so this is a mission and commitment to start swapping hardware. i keep pushing my surge around in a circle... the motors are absolutely perfectly level with the imu now

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
How many times have I told you to not solder and heat shrink anything and to just twist the wires together and use electrical tape? You dont listen! :)

Kloner, just to clarify, you are talking about the two spikes from your M2/6 during the flight at approx 57.452 and 91.732 correct? That first one looks to be because of a yaw input from your transmitter as the M2/4/6 speed up to yaw while M1/3/5 slow down to produce the yaw at 57.452. The other one with just M2/6 (your front two motors) looks to be from the fairly fast pitch forward to back input at 91.732 from the transmitter. Could also be due to some wind spikes/recovery during the flight. If you are really worried about it you could always swap one of your other motors for that one and see if you get the same results. Its pretty normal to see spikes here and there as it maneuvers, you just don't want to see that spike to 99 after a motor failure!

Last edited by a moderator:

skquad

Corey, well said. DJI is the answer you dont really want. Couldn't have put it better.

Xaircraft has always been very bad at marketing. They need to hire someone that can spruce up their image. Their website is light years better but still lacks some info such as videos. I wish they would pay me to do an intro for them. :)

In the end I think good products speak for themselves. Competing with Dji is a difficult t task since their name is everywhere. Every article and. Des clip you see is all Dji. It's hit the mainstream photo/video world as the first goto aerial system. It takes time and money. But clearly doesn't take a perfect product.

I think xaircraft offers a really good economical alternative to the wookong/a2. I just don't think jing Chen wants to fight the Clingons for interstellar domination.

Well said. I also got into multi rotors recently and like many others stated with a Naza v2. Hasn't evenheard of XAircraft. Very happy with it as a platform plenty of support online and I got lucky with a good dealer as well.

I have just installed a SuperX. Haven't had a chance to go for a decent flight yet as the weather had gone bad. But the initial brief testing I have done had been extent positive.

The Naza was solid. The Superx feels rock solid. I'll post more of a review once i've had an opportunity to conduct some now testing and a good flight.

The only thing so far that I don't like about the superx is the software I think they have over simplified it. Especially for troubleshooting.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

kloner

Aerial DP
yes and ok, thanks. It's ready to go then, we will see how she does. Thanks

Kloner, just to clarify, you are talking about the two spikes from your M2/6 during the flight at approx 57.452 and 91.732 correct? That first one looks to be because of a yaw input from your transmitter as the M2/4/6 speed up to yaw while M1/3/5 slow down to produce the yaw at 57.452. The other one with just M2/6 (your front two motors) looks to be from the fairly fast pitch forward to back input at 91.732 from the transmitter. Could also be due to some wind spikes/recovery during the flight. If you are really worried about it you could always swap one of your other motors for that one and see if you get the same results. Its pretty normal to see spikes here and there as it maneuvers, you just don't want to see that spike to 99 after a motor failure!

coreyperez

Hey guys,

Fresh back from "The Field", doing our annual (annoy N. Korea) field exercises. Ugh, 2 weeks. WELL, I guess my short answer on the gimbal is I'm just going to wait. But the immediate question for a reply <Cough> Ahem... XA... </Cough> SO, what is the deal with the update? I hate to say it, but when comes the time, I'm going to have to go with somebody that provides some answers. That T15 is getting close to purchase, I'm buying my new 14SG tonight so....

Hope they pony up the info they promised to be released "Soon" a long time ago.

Corey

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Hey guys,

Fresh back from "The Field", doing our annual (annoy N. Korea) field exercises. Ugh, 2 weeks. WELL, I guess my short answer on the gimbal is I'm just going to wait. But the immediate question for a reply <Cough> Ahem... XA... </Cough> SO, what is the deal with the update? I hate to say it, but when comes the time, I'm going to have to go with somebody that provides some answers. That T15 is getting close to purchase, I'm buying my new 14SG tonight so....

Hope they pony up the info they promised to be released "Soon" a long time ago.

Corey

I think I lost track of the question you had??? You are looking for an update? Have you emailed Drew at xAircraft America?

coreyperez

The question was about when/what the update was going to entail. Hardware or just a software update. I'm hesitant about spending $500+ on a FC just to find out next week its obsolete. You know the drill :) Apple folks fall for it all the time!

I hadn't asked Drew directly, he had/has been actively posting on this thread and I never got a reply to an email sent directly to XA. I used this because XA had been actively posting on and had since, but never replied to the question, ie: avoiding the question.

Should I really be this hard to spend money?

Corey

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I'd shoot him an email directly. He got back to me quickly on a question I had the other day. Seems the updates have been software based - which would be better for us, at least in the short term. While I totally understand your Apple analogy (I have been on the butt end of such updates!!!!), it seems people are pretty happy with the FC as-is, so I'm trying not to think of it as obsolete if I purchase when they are back in stock.

As with all advanced technology, there is going to be a certain amount of "obsolete the minute it leaves the showroom floor," but you can wait forever hoping to catch it on the front end of the change - hoping that no new changes will be coming for xxx period of time after a purchase.

Was there talk of a hardware update??? Maybe I missed it.

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
The question was about when/what the update was going to entail. Hardware or just a software update. I'm hesitant about spending $500+ on a FC just to find out next week its obsolete. You know the drill :) Apple folks fall for it all the time!

I hadn't asked Drew directly, he had/has been actively posting on this thread and I never got a reply to an email sent directly to XA. I used this because XA had been actively posting on and had since, but never replied to the question, ie: avoiding the question.

Should I really be this hard to spend money?

Corey

I think the only UPDATE is the one in your mind, the last firmware update for SX was a few months ago to version 1.08 and added a couple of things to the FC nothing major! there are NO issues with SX that needs fixing, if you are hanging out for way-points and autonomous flights you'd be wise to purchase elsewhere, the next big thing for XA, to my understanding, is a 3 axis to follow on from Stella, but 6 months may go by before that sees daylight.

David

coreyperez

I could be wrong....

But I'm not. This was eons ago (consumer electronics lifecycle that is)

http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?13158-SuperX&p=121687&viewfull=1#post121687

I think the only UPDATE is the one in your mind, the last firmware update for SX was a few months ago to version 1.08 and added a couple of things to the FC nothing major! there are NO issues with SX that needs fixing, if you are hanging out for way-points and autonomous flights you'd be wise to purchase elsewhere, the next big thing for XA, to my understanding, is a 3 axis to follow on from Stella, but 6 months may go by before that sees daylight.

David

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I could be wrong....

But I'm not. This was eons ago (consumer electronics lifecycle that is)

http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?13158-SuperX&p=121687&viewfull=1#post121687

I would assume if you are looking for the waypoints that it would be a software/FW update, not hardware. At least that's how it was implemented with Multiwii. The newest Multiwii FW version is 2.3 which includes a waypoints feature. I haven't heard of anyone having great luck with it yet - but it's early yet.

This is just my assumption. I guess it might be possible that xAircraft could have some type of proprietary hardware that connects to a ground station???

If you are looking for just rock solid flight for AV/P, I still have yet to read a bad review of this FC.

kloner

Aerial DP
they fly good

I gotta imagine it's a hardware add on like the osd,,,,, somehow the groundstation and the superX start talking to a phone,,,, so that's probably not inside the superX now or we'd be talking to superX through the bluetooth, wifi, whatever