XAircraft Stella Gimbal

Dhardjono

View attachment 16689View attachment 16688
Hi Dhardjono,
Thanks for the photo... So it looks like the shield, red and white are connected. Is black not connected. Sorry but it is still a bit hard to see fron the photo.

I do have fpv capability but have not yet really tested it to any great extent with the Stella. That said, I use a screen attached to my Tx ( rather than goggles) and I did wonder if the picture quality was a bit 'liney'. It was nothing very pronounced and to be certain I need to do more tests when I have fixed the cable.

Jonathan

yes WB white on top red in middle and black in bottom. that View attachment 16689View attachment 16690on the cable that came with stella to connected to osd. Now today i try not to use osd i plug straight to my fox tex tx i only use top yelow and very botom black that from my fox tech tx no need for middle red and what i got was 3 min more time to fly those osd power hungry and it improve a little in my distance fpv but not like before. getting an lc common filter see if it help the last one i got did nothing but let me try again. So your case is -white -top- red- middle- black in bottom. hope that helps . DAVID yes only if you go straight to tx that the red is not used unless the red in stella wire does nothing.

Attachments

• 2014-03-09 22.11.11.jpg
    2014-03-09 22.11.11.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 301
  • 2014-03-10 21.19.07.jpg
    2014-03-10 21.19.07.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 353
  • 2014-03-10 21.19.49.jpg
    2014-03-10 21.19.49.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 382
Last edited by a moderator:

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
Hi Dhardjono,
Thanks for the photo... So it looks like the shield, red and white are connected. Is black not connected. Sorry but it is still a bit hard to see fron the photo.

I do have fpv capability but have not yet really tested it to any great extent with the Stella. That said, I use a screen attached to my Tx ( rather than goggles) and I did wonder if the picture quality was a bit 'liney'. It was nothing very pronounced and to be certain I need to do more tests when I have fixed the cable.

Jonathan

This diagram from the Stella Manual should put you on the right path, you only need the WHITE and BLACK

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 345

Dhardjono

So i had the Stella gimbal for about 3 weeks now i like it i had 3 crash Stella still good here some footage i got with Stella and 650 pro.

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
So i had the Stella gimbal for about 3 weeks now i like it i had 3 crash Stella still good here some footage i got with Stella and 650 pro.

Very nice Daniel, are you using a standard set-up ie. gimbal on the drop arms and vibration balls? any other mods to the set-up?

David

wbrownj

Many many thanks to you all for the wiring photos and help. I hope this weekend to get it all fixed again.

Jonathan

wbrownj

Glad to report that the Stella is fixed and working.
I used just the wires as per the wiring diagram posted by x650mouse a few replies back. So I did not connect the red wire to the middle connector on the futaba plug on the lead from the OSD. Interestingly this has stopped the red charging light on the gopro from turning on so I guess it is no longer charging the gopro battery.

Re Stella performance mmmmm I seem to have a very subtle rapid variation in image brightness going on. It is very subtle but still noticeable. It looks a lot like what you might expect from a slight jello effect but I don't think it is jello. It is hard to actually tell because it is so slight. It feels like some electrical interference (rather than mechanical) and I am not sure how to prove or improve it.

I will do some more investigations when time permits. Ideas always welcome

Jonathan

Dhardjono

Glad to report that the Stella is fixed and working.
I used just the wires as per the wiring diagram posted by x650mouse a few replies back. So I did not connect the red wire to the middle connector on the futaba plug on the lead from the OSD. Interestingly this has stopped the red charging light on the gopro from turning on so I guess it is no longer charging the gopro battery.

Re Stella performance mmmmm I seem to have a very subtle rapid variation in image brightness going on. It is very subtle but still noticeable. It looks a lot like what you might expect from a slight jello effect but I don't think it is jello. It is hard to actually tell because it is so slight. It feels like some electrical interference (rather than mechanical) and I am not sure how to prove or improve it.

I will do some more investigations when time permits. Ideas always welcome

Jonathan

ok that good news so the red that goes to video on the stellafrom osd cable suplied is the charging for go pro i will remove causing lines on my fpv i try lc comon filter no luck ferite ring some say to put on all esc to get rid of noise but not done yet, good to here you got your running.

well just pull out the red cable from video cable still charging my gopro wbrown your stop i wonder how come mine still charging if any one know how to stop charging gopro ?

wbrownj

Mmm sorry if I steered you wrong re gopro charging... But mine has no red light on the go pro.
To recap, I have the following plugged into Stella. The power plug in 'B',
the video plug in 'V' with just 2 wires (top/white and bottom/black) going to OSD and the pitch plug in 'P' with all 3 wires going from Stella to Rx. That is it. Before my small crash when I used the supplied osd cable the gopro had its red charge light on. The crash broke the cable and so I made the replacement as described above (no red wire connected) and now I have no red light.
Gopro is working ok and red light lights up if I charge it from my computer.

Jonathan

Dhardjono

Mmm sorry if I steered you wrong re gopro charging... But mine has no red light on the go pro.
To recap, I have the following plugged into Stella. The power plug in 'B',
the video plug in 'V' with just 2 wires (top/white and bottom/black) going to OSD and the pitch plug in 'P' with all 3 wires going from Stella to Rx. That is it. Before my small crash when I used the supplied osd cable the gopro had its red charge light on. The crash broke the cable and so I made the replacement as described above (no red wire connected) and now I have no red light.
Gopro is working ok and red light lights up if I charge it from my computer.

ok yes the stella come with cable with 3 cables white top -red middle-black bottom i think red does nothing i email internatiional xair- Anthony he said only way to shut that of is to open the box voiding the warranty so i live with it.

skquad

Anyone using the Stella with sbus?

I have tried connecting using the supplied y cable one end in the Stella S port and the other in the IO X port. When I do this my Rx (orx 2.4ghz 8channel) freaks out and doesn't communicate with the SuperX, thus giving me the dreaded fast red flashing. Disconnecting the Stella and repowering brings everything back to normal. I'm having to control the pitch with direct connection to port 8 on my Rx. But I would like to use all the functions of the Stella from my tx.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
Anyone using the Stella with sbus?

I have tried connecting using the supplied y cable one end in the Stella S port and the other in the IO X port. When I do this my Rx (orx 2.4ghz 8channel) freaks out and doesn't communicate with the SuperX, thus giving me the dreaded fast red flashing. Disconnecting the Stella and repowering brings everything back to normal. I'm having to control the pitch with direct connection to port 8 on my Rx. But I would like to use all the functions of the Stella from my tx.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have set it up with Taranis but then removed it as too many features for a 2 axis, prefer just the tilt.

Basically, connect the Y cable female end into the SBUS port on your RX then on the 2 adapter ends of the Y cable connect 1 to the X port on the IO and the other to the S port on Stella, then set you radio channels in accordance with the Stella manual found here http://www.xaircraft.com/downloads/

I hope that helps

David

skquad

I have set it up with Taranis but then removed it as too many features for a 2 axis, prefer just the tilt.

Basically, connect the Y cable female end into the SBUS port on your RX then on the 2 adapter ends of the Y cable connect 1 to the X port on the IO and the other to the S port on Stella, then set you radio channels in accordance with the Stella manual found here http://www.xaircraft.com/downloads/

I hope that helps

David

Thanks David.

That's exactly what I did. But when I do that I lose connection between Rx and IO.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Av8Chuck

Thanks guys for the link to the manual.

skquad, I was using Futaba SBUS, worked great with the SuperX but I could not get it to work well with the "Y" cable on both the SuperX and Stella. I ended up switching to a 10 channel Rx and it all works great. Part of my decision to make this switch was that with the Futaba 10CHG I couldn't program the failsafe with the SBUS Rx, using the 10 channel Rx I can, so adding a few wires to enable both the Stella and Failsafe was kind of a no brainer.

The Stella is a really good plug-n-play gimbal, i really hope they make a bigger gimbal for the NEX that works as well as the Stella.

Dhardjono

Here some today flying with Stella and 650pro superx
i like it had3 hard crash scraches on gimbal still works

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
Thanks David.

That's exactly what I did. But when I do that I lose connection between Rx and IO.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Very strange, I just re-connected the SBUS set up to try to help, and it is not working!, it is the same radio profile as before but the gimbals and switches are dead, the rest of the SBUS is fine, all controls are working just no Stella, I have swapped the leads around, confirmed Stella works on a straight Ch9 for pitch.

I'll fiddle a bit more but can't explain it now, maybe something in the Stella controller is faulty/blown :dejection:

EDIT: Got it working again, you might want to try this, before setting up the SBUS run a servo lead from P to a channel, in my case 9 at the same time run a servo lead from S to channel 10 and set it to a 3 way switch this is now mode for Stella off,] Speed mode,] Pos mode, ]

Now plug in the Y cable removing the P cable from your RX but using the S cable and the cable from IO X, and then set up the radio channels,

Still too many switches and actions for my liking but I'll leave it at SBUS for a while to help anybody out

EDIT 2: Something I have just encountered, it seems Stella needs to have gone through its initial start-up sequence before you turn on the radio otherwise the SBUS remains inactive. Previously I have always done radio then battery, with Stella in SBUS I need to do battery wait until Stella upright then radio, otherwise I have no SBUS to Stella. If you are like me and do radio then battery it might be why it doesn't seem like Stella is working for you.

David

Dhardjono

Very strange, I just re-connected the SBUS set up to try to help, and it is not working!, it is the same radio profile as before but the gimbals and switches are dead, the rest of the SBUS is fine, all controls are working just no Stella, I have swapped the leads around, confirmed Stella works on a straight Ch9 for pitch.

I'll fiddle a bit more but can't explain it now, maybe something in the Stella controller is faulty/blown :dejection:

EDIT: Got it working again, you might want to try this, before setting up the SBUS run a servo lead from P to a channel, in my case 9 at the same time run a servo lead from S to channel 10 and set it to a 3 way switch this is now mode for Stella off,] Speed mode,] Pos mode, ]

Now plug in the Y cable removing the P cable from your RX but using the S cable and the cable from IO X, and then set up the radio channels,

Still too many switches and actions for my liking but I'll leave it at SBUS for a while to help anybody out

EDIT 2: Something I have just encountered, it seems Stella needs to have gone through its initial start-up sequence before you turn on the radio otherwise the SBUS remains inactive. Previously I have always done radio then battery, with Stella in SBUS I need to do battery wait until Stella upright then radio, otherwise I have no SBUS to Stella. If you are like me and do radio then battery it might be why it doesn't seem like Stella is working for you.

David so you don't go threw the sbus on the tx at all just plug to 10 and plug to 9 for p after set up 10 than unplug the 9 going to p ?