Sony Nex 5n test flight.

Test flight with the new Sony Nex 5n and the 18-55mm lens. I shot this at 1080 60P and Vivid for scene selection. This is only a 1lb payload for the Cinestar 6.
The location is Murray Bay on the East side of Hungry Horse Reservoir in Montana.

Cheers,
Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
does it replace the GH2 in your opinion? I returned mine to buy the 5n so hopefully it will be a nice tool. The light weight is great too as my homebuilt is adding weight quickly.

It is a nice picture for such a small package. I was seeing a fair bit of moire and aliasing in the waves however. I'm hoping the Nex 7 and/or VG20 will be better.

Cheers,
Jeff

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Man Jeff, I think your eye for moire and other defects is un human. I can barely see any moire except for one of the higher altitude shots. I would take a little moire over the GH2's gradient banding anyday. that drove me up the wall that such a reputable camera could have that bad color rings around an object in the sky. I am open to the idea that I might have had a bad sensor or something in mine, but unlikely as the pictures were perfect.

So when are you going to post your real trade secrets so we can all copy you and help saturate the AV market? Kidding :)

I will say that after seeing some of your videos of Montana, I asked my wife if she wanted to take a trip up there. Amazing! You converted my thoughts that Montana was a bunch of Ozark hillbillies in some desolate dry hills.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Like! Jeoff how would you compare it to the Nex5 with the latest firmware V4 I think?

I now have set up mine for FPV so I can frame the shots with out guess work

Dave

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Like! Jeoff how would you compare it to the Nex5 with the latest firmware V4 I think?

I now have set up mine for FPV so I can frame the shots with out guess work

Dave

Jeff/Dave,

I read somewhere that the NE5 doesn't have video out, does the firmware update address that? I would buy this camera tomorrow if I new I could use it to frame photos/video while flying with a transmitter. It seems a lot of camera for good money.

Gunter.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I read somewhere that the NE5 doesn't have video out, does the firmware update address that?

Sorry a bit misleading.. not it does not have video out unless you are really brave and want to hack in to the video out to the screen! I got round it very cheaply and simply

attachment.php

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Sorry a bit misleading.. not it does not have video out unless you are really brave and want to hack in to the video out to the screen! I got round it very cheaply and simply

I expect that would work okay, you wouldn't know exactly what's in the frame (size wise), but should be a lot better than guessing.

Stacky

I have something similar in operation and to get the framing approximately right for stills I have a downlink to a video monitor which I have set markings on which indicate the shooting cameras approximate frame size. I had to do some testing and "calibrating" on the ground to get it set up. Its not perfect but works well enough for now.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I have something similar in operation and to get the framing approximately right for stills I have a downlink to a video monitor which I have set markings on which indicate the shooting cameras approximate frame size. I had to do some testing and "calibrating" on the ground to get it set up. Its not perfect but works well enough for now.

Check this lot out.. you can get interchangeable lenses

http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/mini_cam.htm

Lenses

http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/lens-cctv.htm

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
I expect with my setup I will hopefully be able to carry the NEX5 and my gopro hooked up to a video transmitter, that should do the job.

Stacky

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Fortunately most of us don't want audio on our AV cameras nor do we need a view finder. So it works out pretty well for our needs. Otherwise unacceptable!

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I just got my nex5n today and it is awesome! I have not flown it yet and probably wont for a hwile until i gain more confidence in my new craft. At first i thought the rattling was in the lens and therefore probably part of the stabilization system, but it is definitely in the body. You have to shake the camera though to get the sound and it really doesnt affect the performance, just kinda cheap on Sony's part to release it this way. BUT, the quality is amazing, super fast focusing, nice crisp display, amazing image stabilization! and 1080 60p. I'm happy. I wish all cameras would just integrate a damn intervalometer though! now to test the hdmi live output for myself.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
My 5N should be here tomorrow and no the clicking will not bother me at all because I won't be able to hear it from ground level...:p

I know its not perfect but I think for what I intend to use it for the NEX 5N is a pretty good compromise. I get 60P video at a higher resolution than I can with the GoPro I currently use at 720P and the video quality is far superior to the GoPro. It will do stills as well and it all comes in a nice sized package that won't require any upgrades to the multis it will be flying on, both of them have more than adequate power for the weight difference between a GoPro and the 5N.

I guess I need to get that WKM hex dialed in and see if the AD6 needs any attention before I put a brand new camera under them, something to do this evening...

Ken

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Yeah, it's a pretty damn cool camera. I am much more happy with this than the GH2. Also, for the Mac guys.....it has the option to export in MP4 as to AVCHD. I think technically AVCHD is a better compression but I cant tell the difference. Unless you are doing green screen work or lots of post production I dont think it will be an issue. And at that level most of us dont use a dinky camera like this anyways. But it is a great travel camera as well due to the size and overall quality.

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Ken, do you know if there is a bit of kit out there that will support remote shutter for the N5? That would be the deal breaker for me...

Gunter.

I haven't noticed any clicking in the audio.

Another Nex 5n with the Cinestar 6:

Cheers,
Jeff