Sony Nex 5n test flight.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Hi!

Does anybody know if you can both trig video and photos on the NEX5N via the GentLED IR? Though, trig the video and photo separately via 3 position switch? Just as you can do with GentLED Canon T2i IR? Any other suggestion how to trig videos?

Thanks!

Boltzman

From the above post of the manual contents...

"• You cannot use [Remote Cdr.] with the following functions:
– Movie recording"

If the remote can't do it the GentLED can't either.

Ken

Ok. I just tested the live view on the nex5n for myself. It works just fine! hdmi plugged in. You can go into the menu and tell it to not have anything on the menu. i watched the video and it is a clear perfect screen. So now we have to figure out a clever way to downsize the box required for digital/analoge conversion. Or ebtter yet cant we make a damn digital downlink?

Hi Yuri: I just came across your post and it sounded like the answer I was looking for but I'm not sure; I have a Sony Nex5N. I have setup my FPV and have the HDMI converted to composite video for down-link so that I can view what the Sony sees while on the ground. The only problem is that I cannot get ride of ALL of the camera menus. I have chosen that setting in Display for 'No Menus', which helps, but I still get that stuff from the right side of the screen showing up on my monitor on the ground. I was hoping to have completely clean screen (uncluttered) so that the IOSD unit can provide its overlay on the monitor without competing with the camera menus. In your comment above it sounds like you were able to get the 'clean screen' I'm looking for but I don't see how. Any thoughts on this? Merry Christmas.

Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I dont remember what's on the screen. it doesnt record any of it so i dont care if there are a few remnants. Maybe I never got it with nothing but certainly clean enough to clutter the screen. Dunno

Av8Chuck

I have the 5n and have never owned the NEX5 but from what I understand they upgraded the sensor in the NEX5n so the 5n shoots 1080 at 60P and the NEX5 shoots 1080i.

Not sure what other differences there might be but that was enough of a difference for me to get a 5n for AP.

I switched from nex 5 to 5n and right now am using both of them. From the video POV there are some differences, yes, the 5n looks better to me, even without using it at its highest resolution/fps. One strange thing happens with the 5n that never happened with the 5: the 5n drives its supply to the hdmi converter...and rx once they are connected. Another issue is that i can't get the 5n to focus when the hdmi converter is connected and then i can only shoot pictures only if i set the camera to manual focus. I believe this has something to do with the converter getting energy from the camera, will do some testing...next year.

pagani

i found a nex 5 and i ll use it, i think it will be better than my heavy d7000.
thanks for the info, where can find a hdmi convererter?? can i build one?

B

Bengit

From the above post of the manual contents...

"• You cannot use [Remote Cdr.] with the following functions:
– Movie recording"

If the remote can't do it the GentLED can't either.

Ken

Yes you can, scan the Gentled site, I have used the item and works.

ILAP

You shoul supply power to the hdmi2av converter via the USB port. Then it does not eat the camera battery. I used a phone car charger for converting a LiPo 3S power to USB.