Sony Nex 5n test flight.

ZAxis

Ken, do you know if there is a bit of kit out there that will support remote shutter for the N5? That would be the deal breaker for me...

Gunter.

We posted this few weeks back, is this what you're looking for ?

....we use a Gentled shutter release
Its basically an infra red LED with control chip on the end of a standard servo lead. Just plug it into a spare servo port on the FC and setup a transmitter switch channel to trigger it. Mount the LED somewhere that the sensor on the front of the NEX will always see. Our's is on a bracket added to the side of the camera cradle so it moves with the tilt of the cradle.There is a small delay before the shutter is released but that can be lived with.
http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/gentled

ZAxis

Yeah, it's a pretty damn cool camera. I am much more happy with this than the GH2. Also, for the Mac guys.....it has the option to export in MP4 as to AVCHD. I think technically AVCHD is a better compression but I cant tell the difference. Unless you are doing green screen work or lots of post production I dont think it will be an issue. And at that level most of us dont use a dinky camera like this anyways. But it is a great travel camera as well due to the size and overall quality.

The resolution and frame rate differs between AVCHD and MP4. MP4 is only recorded at 30p and at a lower resolution 1440x1080. Since we all want to go for 50/60p, us Mac users still need to rewrap the AVCDH files from .MTS to .MOV. Its not a real pain, just annoying.
The NEX-5N is still on the shopping list to replace our existing NEX-5, wonderful camera.

The NEX-5N manual can be read here for more info
http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4288171111.pdf

Av8Chuck

I couldn't find the specs for the NEX 5N on B&H, but after looking at them for the NEX I have a couple of questions.

The frame rate that the NEX 5 shoots at 1080 is 60i, not 60P, and to get a progressive frame, 30P it shoots 1440x1080, does anyone know what software you can use to convert to a (Quicktime) .mov?

If you shoot in manual mode, how do you know the exposure is right?

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
I haven't noticed any clicking in the audio.

Another Nex 5n with the Cinestar 6:

Cheers,
Jeff

Nice Jeff, that camera really does do a good job.

We posted this few weeks back, is this what you're looking for ?

....we use a Gentled shutter release
Its basically an infra red LED with control chip on the end of a standard servo lead. Just plug it into a spare servo port on the FC and setup a transmitter switch channel to trigger it. Mount the LED somewhere that the sensor on the front of the NEX will always see. Our's is on a bracket added to the side of the camera cradle so it moves with the tilt of the cradle.There is a small delay before the shutter is released but that can be lived with.
http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/gentled

Thanks, I didn't see that post. Looks like a handy bit of kit!

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
it seems most people convert using Aunsoft's Mts converter. It works great, just an extra step. Yes the nex 5 was only 1080 60i, the 5n is 1080 60p.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Ok. I just tested the live view on the nex5n for myself. It works just fine! hdmi plugged in. You can go into the menu and tell it to not have anything on the menu. i watched the video and it is a clear perfect screen. So now we have to figure out a clever way to downsize the box required for digital/analoge conversion. Or ebtter yet cant we make a damn digital downlink?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
just wondering, does the nex 5n have a 2.5mm remote shutter release jack? does it have a continuous picture mode?
thanks,
bart

ZAxis

Bartman

thanks Z
I've got a gentled for my T2i and the only thing I don't like about it is that it only triggers one photo per second. the continuous mode in the T2i does closer to 3 or 4 photos per second. on a windy day it really helps to get a usable photo by having so many to choose from.
i'm still on the fence.
bart

ZAxis

Instead of using the Gentled, why not set camera to continuous shooting mode and rig a small servo with an arm that can depress the shutter release button. This way you will get maximum shot rate.

Bartman

Instead of using the Gentled, why not set camera to continuous shooting mode and rig a small servo with an arm that can depress the shutter release button. This way you will get maximum shot rate.

yup, that may be the way to go. i really like the camera and i love the idea of having longer flight times with the lighter overall payload.
i'm finishing up a camera mount for my T2i and DW Okto. i think the next project is going to have to be an X-8 and mount for the Nex5.
not enough time in the day!

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Jeff, being familiar with the Nex5n, is there a trick to getting the gentled to work with the camera? I get no response yet I can see the IR looking through a normal digital camera.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
This is not in my manual that came with the nex5n. Actually nothing is in the index under remote at all.

You can shoot using the SHUTTER and 2SEC (the shutter is released after two seconds)
buttons on the RMT-DSLR1 Wireless Remote Commander (sold separately). Also, refer
to the operating instructions supplied with the Wireless Remote Commander.
1 (Drive Mode) on the control wheel t [Remote Cdr.].
Or, MENU t [Camera] t [Drive Mode] t [Remote Cdr.].
2 Focus on the subject, point the transmitter of the Wireless Remote
Commander to the remote sensor, and shoot the image.
• You cannot use [Remote Cdr.] with the following functions:
– Movie recording
– [Hand-held Twilight] in [Scene Selection]
– [Anti Motion Blur]
– [Sweep Panorama]
– [3D Sweep Panorama]
– [Auto HDR]
• A lens or hood may cover the remote sensor and prevent the sensor from receiving the light from the
Remote Commander. Operate the Remote Commander from positions where the light to the remote
sensor is not obscure

Last edited by a moderator:

ZAxis

This is not in my manual that came with the nex5n. Actually nothing is in the index under remote at all.

You can shoot using the SHUTTER and 2SEC (the shutter is released after two seconds)
buttons on the RMT-DSLR1 Wireless Remote Commander (sold separately). Also, refer
to the operating instructions supplied with the Wireless Remote Commander.
2 Focus on the subject, point the transmitter of the Wireless Remote
Commander to the remote sensor, and shoot the image.
• You cannot use [Remote Cdr.] with the following functions:
– Movie recording
– [Hand-held Twilight] in [Scene Selection]
– [Anti Motion Blur]
– [Sweep Panorama]
– [3D Sweep Panorama]
– [Auto HDR]
• A lens or hood may cover the remote sensor and prevent the sensor from receiving the light from the
Remote Commander. Operate the Remote Commander from positions where the light to the remote
sensor is not obscure

The important bit is

On the screen menus of the NEX5N find the Drive mode by using the control wheel and then you will see the Remote Cmdr item.
Its in the list that has Single shooting, Self Timer, etc. Its icon is like a tiny TV remote.
Select it and enable it.

The link in my last post was for a copy of the UK user manual and can be downloaded if you want to read it. Its a pdf file.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Yeah I get it now. but why on earth would the user manual not have a listing under remote in the index? Silly. the one linked above does.

All the remote stuff aside, I have to say I am really happy with this camera. I am heading to Hawaii in 2 weeks and this will be the perfect travel camera as well.

Boltzman

Hi!

Does anybody know if you can both trig video and photos on the NEX5N via the GentLED IR? Though, trig the video and photo separately via 3 position switch? Just as you can do with GentLED Canon T2i IR? Any other suggestion how to trig videos?

Thanks!

Boltzman