Sony Nex-5n - downlink

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Dunno. If it works reliably the only negative would be that the camera battery will run down quicker.

I have decided to play safe and stuck a 5v TRACO inside each of the two HDMI mini boxes just so I don't have to pay attention to what I feed it with.

Dr.phil

For you guys that are using only the power fed by the hdmi cable, please let us know how it works.
I am still waiting for my equipment and if power through hdmi works well, that's the path I'll take :)

Dr.phil

hmm..strange.
I finally got the converter. But when I connect the HDMI cable to my nex-5n I get picture but only "garbage".
As soon as I connect external power the picture is fine.
Guess I need to use the 5v power supply then

daniel

im using only the power fed by the hdmi cable and is working fine,....no issues...

you have to set the hdmi settings in the camera menu to 1080i ,,....if setting is in auto you will see garbage..

jonnydonut

Thanks for the links.

Maybe a stupid question, but why on the box does it list the usb power as "optional"?

Edit//
Oops. Sorry I'm new to the forum, didn't realize this was 7 pages. I'll go through and read.

Last edited by a moderator:

skivvie

Someone (edit: in the post right above yours) reported that it self powers through the hdmi port... I never tried it. So the USB/power may be optional. I had mine powered from a small pack that the rest of the vid TX was powered from just in case.

jonnydonut

Any difference between the amazon black box and the white box.
I assume not, but you never know with these things, so I was curious if there have been mixed results.

Has anyone else tried daniel's trick of 1080i output vs the 1080p and had luck without needing power supply?

Thanks

thijmen5

Now this box works pretty well for me, but I can't use the remote shutter when I'm using live output of the nex 5n?:upset:.

When I have live view and remote click once after powering up, it works (for 1 photo), the following photo's just dont click. For videos it's ok, but I want to use both.

Anyone?

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Now this box works pretty well for me, but I can't use the remote shutter when I'm using live output of the nex 5n?:upset:.

When I have live view and remote click once after powering up, it works (for 1 photo), the following photo's just dont click. For videos it's ok, but I want to use both.

Anyone?

I have already outlined this problem in earlier posts. This only happens when the NEX focus is set to Auto. If you set it to manual the remote shutter function will work. It is weird I know. If you unplug the HDMI cable the remote shutter release works in all focus modes but with the HDMI connected you have to select Manual Focus.

thijmen5

Haven't seen that post, sorry. But how do you realise the focus while flying? I cant use it when i need to focus manually. Perhaps the new nex5 firmware solves this issue?

Will try tommorow

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Haven't seen that post, sorry. But how do you realise the focus while flying? I cant use it when i need to focus manually. Perhaps the new nex5 firmware solves this issue?

Will try tommorow

Infinity focus with the 18mm or 16mm lens at above ƒ5.6 keeps pretty much everything sharp anyway. There is little need for constant focus control unless you are using a longer focal length lens (zoomed in). I find I have to use the focus highlight facility where it daubs great gobs of red or yellow around the parts that are in focus. Simply relying on the screen resolution is not reliable.

I wonder if Sony is even aware of the remote shutter/Auto Focus problem. I would not hold out much hope for a firmware fix anytime soon.

thijmen5

The 'new' firmware allready got installed when I received the NEX. I mailed sony about this issue, see what they can tell me.

Dr.phil

Strange, I use the live output to the nex-5n and have no problems with my GentLed. I can take as many photos I want and start recording video even when the focus is on Auto whille using the HDMI converter.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
As my first HDMI converter (the one with the 1/2kg metal box turned out to be a lemon and would not work at all with a GH2 I had hoped that the little GoodLuckBuy converter might also get over the Auto/Manual focus/gentLED thing, but it didn't. The phenomenon that thijmen5 describes still exists. However, with the GH2 and the GoodLuckBuy convereter it makes no difference whether the camera is set to Auto or Manual focus but with the lemon converter it had the same problem as the NEX 5n.

WTF @#*!!?

thijmen5

So if I understand you right mombasa flash you also have a Gentled? And your combination doesn't work? How is it possible for phil to get it right?

@Phil, you have the same GLB converter like we all do right? In that case it might be worth trying a gentled shutter (is yours only a shutter, or does it have other functions?). I have one looking the same like that gentled, can't image that the Gentled fixes this since it's just an IR beem right?

Last edited by a moderator: