Sony Nex-5n - downlink

bordhead

There is no specific setting on the camera other than selecting 'i/r remote' - which you presumably have already done as remote photo works.

Question: You ARE using a Sony NEX gentLED LiveView and not just a Sony NEX Shutter Release ?? Rather a basic question but better to get the obvious out of the way.

mine is the gentLED

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
There are two gentLED's available for the NEX series: gentLED-SHUTTER (pt# 032) and gentLED-shutterPLUS (pt# 039). The gentLED-shutterPLUS used to be called gentLED-LiveView. All previously labelled 'LiveView' i/r actuators are now termed 'shutterPLUS'.

It is the gentLED-shutterPLUS (pt# 039) that permits both shutter release OR video record with a three-way switch. gentLED-SHUTTER (pt# 032) is shutter release only.

bordhead

There are two gentLED's available for the NEX series: gentLED-SHUTTER (pt# 032) and gentLED-shutterPLUS (pt# 039). The gentLED-shutterPLUS used to be called gentLED-LiveView. All previously labelled 'LiveView' i/r actuators are now termed 'shutterPLUS'.

It is the gentLED-shutterPLUS (pt# 039) that permits both shutter release OR video record with a three-way switch. gentLED-SHUTTER (pt# 032) is shutter release only.

ok thanks, I got it from quadrocopter and looks to be the GENTLED 32. Looks like i have shutter only. where do i purchase the shutter plus 039? thanks

thijmen5

I thinking of using my fpv cam for external monitoring. I have a SN777 (KX550) Sony 1/3ccd cam with stock lens. Does anyone have an idea if it's a quite the same as 18mm on my kitlens (nex5n)?

PaNt

At the end guys ..

For a new 5n i have to buy the black or white converter and then is there a need for power or not??

Also i will use the stratosnapper for the rec and pics..!!

dolby

Needs more bacon!
If you are talking about this one? no it does not require any power. It uses the power from the HDMI connection. It works very well and if you crack open the case and remove the rca headers and solder on your own connections its very very small!

PaNt

If you are talking about this one? no it does not require any power. It uses the power from the HDMI connection. It works very well and if you crack open the case and remove the rca headers and solder on your own connections its very very small!

Why do i have to remove it?? Cant o connect to rca for video only??

dolby

Needs more bacon!
I didnt say anywhere in my post that you had to remove it. I said "and if" meaning you can make the thing even smaller if you do.

PaNt

I didnt say anywhere in my post that you had to remove it. I said "and if" meaning you can make the thing even smaller if you do.

Hmmm ok so there is nO need for something special in order to work.. Its plug and play..

PaNt

The best deal is the Stratosnapper.. its triple the price but it is tunable for the most cameras you can use, and also you can tune the time of the stills :)

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
hello everyone,
why here http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/gentled/shutterplus.htm in nex camera they say ((Note: hdmi/autofocus issue)) ?..

Because although there are those who say they do not have any problems, there are quite a few NEX-5n users who have discovered that when the HDMI is connected the gentLED shutter and shutter-PLUS do not reliably trigger the shutter if the camera is set to auto-focus or DMF (Dynamic Manual Focus). They only work with manual-focus.

However, the shutter-PLUS gentLED will still trigger video Record, regardless of the focus mode.

Bison52

Is anybody using the Askman AG550 gimbal? If so, which HDMI cable are you using with the NEX5N? I have purchased two cables. One was a thicker cable with a right angle bend. One was an ultra thin cable. Neither would fit in the clearance between the camera and the mount. I tried letting it extend into the gap in the side of the mount but that interfered with the tilt. I tried hacking the covering off the end off the cable to squeeze it in but that didnt seem to work. I am out of ideas.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

Bison52

I got that exact one but there was no way to fit it between the camera and the mount that i could see. If you got it to work, could you post a pic?

Dr.phil

Attachments

• e.jpg
    e.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 351

Bison52

I don't appear to have the same yoke as you. My camera rests with the body in alignment with the tilt axis, your's appears to sit further back. With the left (facing front of camera) resting against the left axis bolt, I have a little less than .5 in of clearance on the right. Also, your lens appears to line up with the roll axis (as it should, mine doesn't) I wonder how I could have gotten a different yoke.

View attachment 6273

Attachments

• ag550_120912_0001.jpg
    ag550_120912_0001.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 481