Sony Nex-5n - downlink

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
... Could you do me a favor and take a close up photo of the bottom of your board? I want to make sure there aren't any resistors missing... i.e.r24 ...

Sorry for the delay in responding. I promise I have NOT been taking lessons from George Mamo!

Your wiring is correct but r24 could be a problem. It should be there:

056.hdmibox_5.jpg

So the hdmi converter does work. Thats good...

Not necessarily. My GH2 HDMI worked into a TV but refused to work with the big clumpy converter. It is the reason I looked around for another converter.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the '5v' supply from the Iftron Stinger camera supply is actually 4.3v and the mini-HDMI converter seems content with that.

Last edited by a moderator:

skivvie

Yeah I'm paying you good money here! I expect prompt replies. :shame:
Thanks for the photo. So your's is working perfectly fine with a NEX-5n on the downlink at 4.3v eh? Hm. I bet that stupid resistor is in my carpet somewhere! haha. must have gotten bumped off... awesome shoddy soldering job on those SM components.

skivvie

HAHAHA!!! Turns out that was a very important resistor! I actually found it on my benchtop after hunting in search pattern rows for 5 minutes, soldered it hamfisted back on... and POW! VIDEO! So stoked. Nice clear video too. YES! Thanks again for that photo and checking the resistor. I can't believe that was it.

SO ... I can now dually confirm that this HDMI converter works great with the NEX5n, just be careful when you handle it 'cause the soldering isn't the best. Time to mount this thing and go fly it.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Better leave it in the box for its own protection. The Phono connectors which have been removed helped to keep everything in place so, although the HDMI connector pretty much locks the board in place, I have used a piece of sponge inside each one to prevent anything rattling around.

skivvie

Just to clarify for those looking for a working setup, here is my complete setup for downlink with a Sony NEX5n. (wiring photos for converter at the bottom of post). HUGE thanks to MombasaFlash for helping and posting about this converter hack. Not sure who found it first but thanks to them as well!

Sony NEX5n on a PhotoHigher AV130 on a Flexacopter with WKM

HDMI -> RCA converter available from Amazon here:ViewHD Universal Mini HDMI to Composite / AV Video Converter
ir

ir

or on Goodluckbuy here: http://www.goodluckbuy.com/hdv-m610-mini-hdmi-to-cvbs-lr-audio-converter-adapter-scaler-.html

HDMI to mini HDMI cable that I hacked the plastic off of and put heat shrink on so it would fit between the pulley and the camera. Have a slimmer shorter one on the way... one of these: http://www.hypershop.com/HyperThin-World-s-Thinnest-HDMI-Cable-s/192.htm but can't confirm yet if it will fit without cutting away connector... my guess is no.
View attachment 4702

ImmersionRC 600mW 5.8GHz A/V Tx with the 5v out powering the HDMI converter:
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=40&products_id=266
Powering that with a Zippy 1000mAh 2s Lipo

blue beam cloverleaf and skew planar antennas:
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_45_49&products_id=550

ImmersionRC Duo5800 A/V Diversity Receiver (overkill but nice):
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=40&products_id=265

Fatshark Dominator video goggles (sometimes, also use LCD screen depending on situation)
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_22&products_id=522
Powering these and the receiver with a Zippy 1600mAh 3S Lipo.

Here's how to power/hack the HDMI converter.
Each of the 4 corners has female tabs on the top of the case. Just push into the crack with a spudger or super thin screwdriver to pop the tabs out.
View attachment 4703View attachment 4704

Then desolder the RCA connectors. This is a pain in the *** I suggest you have a good solder sucker.
View attachment 4705

I then soldered a servo lead on like so. 5V to the positive side of the capacitor next to the USB port (the leg closest to the edge of the board). Ground to a leg of the USB shield. And Video to the center pin hole of the video socket, the inner of the two holes. Zip tie for strain relief pop the case back on and pow. Done. IF you don't knock of one of the tiny SM resistors along the way that is. ;-)
View attachment 4707View attachment 4706

I mounted it to the front of the AV130 with some 3M dual lock velcro, battery backpacking along as well.
View attachment 4708

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 594
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 764
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 747
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 794
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 837
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 871
  • photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 808

mbsteed

aerial video centric
i just got my Mini HDMI2AV - I don't see any power specs. I already have a 3S battery powering my Vtx, could that be used directly to power the mini converter box? Alternatively, could you directly connected it to a 2S battery at 7.4 V? ...or would you need to step it down to 5V? What about using a spare ESCs - could I use the servo connector coming out of an ESC - that should be 5V - right?

The other thing is this came with usb cable for power - couldn't you hack the cable - the red wire power positive and the black - power ground and connect that to your power without opening up the box?

skivvie

i just got my Mini HDMI2AV - I don't see any power specs. I already have a 3S battery powering my Vtx, could that be used directly to power the mini converter box? Alternatively, could you directly connected it to a 2S battery at 7.4 V? ...or would you need to step it down to 5V? What about using a spare ESCs - could I use the servo connector coming out of an ESC - that should be 5V - right?

The other thing is this came with usb cable for power - couldn't you hack the cable - the red wire power positive and the black - power ground and connect that to your power without opening up the box?

No power specs means stick to what you know it can handle, which is 5v that would normally be supplied by the USB connection. If you go much over that then you risk blowing it out, but of you are willing to risk it go for it... I'm sure there's at least some leeway. That said, I'd wager a 3S would blow it pretty quick, and a 2S would probably work for a bit, but why risk it. As for using the BEC on an ESC, yeah should be 5v... Never tried it so I don't know how clean of a supply the converter needs. It's worth a shot.

As for the UsB cable... Yes you could just hack the cable and plug it in, same with the RCA jack, but that adds unnecessary weight and cabling when you could have it nice compact and clean in one tiny servo lead.

yeehaanow

In my experience, HDMI convertors/ splitters need an exact voltage. I once tried NiMH to power it and it did not work right.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
... couldn't you hack the cable - the red wire power positive and the black - power ground and connect that to your power without opening up the box?

Stick with what Skivvie said. It is A LOT more difficult, and ultimately untidy and awkward to use, to hack a USB cable. The mods that involve splitting the HDMI case are simple and the result is compact and tidy, reliable without flakey cable joins - and lighter.

I do not know which MR you are using but it is simple to get a 5v supply off an MK board - although you would be more secure with a 5v TRACO off the main power distribution board than taking it direct from the FC.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
EDIT: Forgot to mention that the '5v' supply from the Iftron Stinger camera supply is actually 4.3v and the mini-HDMI converter seems content with that.

the camera voltage from the Stinger is not a regulated supply, it is 1v less than the input power.

Any reason you can't use your receiver for power assuming you aren't running it at 6 or 7 volts?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
the camera voltage from the Stinger is not a regulated supply, it is 1v less than the input power.

I am now not sure where I got the notion that the Stinger camera supply was 5v. Furthermore, I have absolutely no idea now where the 4.3v voltage measurement came from because I have just measured the input voltage as 7.94v (coming from a 4S LiPo through a supposedly 7.2v BEC) and the camera supply is 7.44v. If I feed the Stinger from the receiver it is 5.4v in and 5.14v out.

However, the interesting bit is that I have been powering the mini HDMI converter believing it was receiving 4.3v whereas it was actually getting 7.44v - and it is evidently not bothered by this.

skivvie

Good to know... Maybe it would take a 2S after all?.. But that potentially 8.4V...

Just to note, the ImmersionRC 600mW Tx definitely supplies 5v out (I measured it at 4.9 ish) and 300mA max.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
The 4.3v figure must have come from using a 4-cell NiMh pack.

I now realise that I was completely missing the bleeding obvious anyway by using the Stinger camera supply to power either the mini-HDMI or the 12v monitoring camera. Why didn't any bells ring when the 12v camera worked properly? If want to play safe with the mini-HDMI I need to see if the '12v' camera will function at all with 5v.

This would not be an issue were it not for the stupid GH2 restrictions and omissions. I wonder if analog video will be enabled during record on the GH3? There is currently no good reason for including the composite video port at all because with the HDMI option no one is ever going to choose the analog output to watch their video.

Remoteworks

No power specs means stick to what you know it can handle, which is 5v that would normally be supplied by the USB connection. If you go much over that then you risk blowing it out, but of you are willing to risk it go for it... I'm sure there's at least some leeway. That said, I'd wager a 3S would blow it pretty quick, and a 2S would probably work for a bit, but why risk it. As for using the BEC on an ESC, yeah should be 5v... Never tried it so I don't know how clean of a supply the converter needs. It's worth a shot.

As for the UsB cable... Yes you could just hack the cable and plug it in, same with the RCA jack, but that adds unnecessary weight and cabling when you could have it nice compact and clean in one tiny servo lead.

The Mini HDMI2AV works fine with 6v. But don't use more..

RW

thijmen5

It also works on a haier HTL7 7inch with immersion 25mw 5,8 and immersion receiver, but have to say that the images are not very crips which someone else mentioned, a small fpv cam gives me better image quality.

Can this system give extra noise on the videosignal?

My screen doesnt use full width unfortunately, maybe 60%..

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Bought the HDMI converter and is working ok with the nex 5N, im not using extra 5v power,....
looks like dont need to be powered...

You might well be correct. I have noticed that when the camera is turned on with the HDMI-mini connected, the video downlink powers up. Power must be fed from the camera up the HDMI cable. All well and good but the camera battery will run down quicker.