Sony Nex-5n - downlink

thijmen5

I looked at my shutter, but it seems to be a Gentled:livid: (dumb me). There is one small cable unused right? a blue or white one? (cant see anymore, its wrapped in servo sleeving) Is that cable for video record?

How did you setup foto and video on a 3 way switch?

DaveM

I am using GentLed Liveview http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/gentled/liveview.htm
And this is the HDMI converter http://www.goodluckbuy.com/hdv-m610-mini-hdmi-to-cvbs-lr-audio-converter-adapter-scaler-.html

I have set the GentLed on a 3-way switch. Center is off, forward is photo, backwards is start video record. Yes, it is strange that this works for me and not you guys

I have exactly the same setup as you, but I had not yet tested it.

Just gave it a try on the bench, with a temporary USB connection for 5v to the HDMI convertor,
and all is working OK like yours.

3 pos switch, flick to photo and back, takes 1 pic, leave switch on photo and it
takes a pic about every 5 seconds.

Switch from off position to video, and its starts recording, to switch off recording
I have to switch to off and video again.

Not sure why some are working OK, are we all on the same firmware ?
Mine is Firmware v1.01 souced in the UK, so a PAL version, if that matters.

Dave

DaveM

I looked at my shutter, but it seems to be a Gentled:livid: (dumb me). There is one small cable unused right? a blue or white one? (cant see anymore, its wrapped in servo sleeving) Is that cable for video record?

How did you setup foto and video on a 3 way switch?

If you have a spare blue cable, I would guess that is the Gentled Shutter version No 032

from GentLED
Switch Operation
Alternately (or additionally – as both will work together) you can short the
blue wire to the black wire on the servo connector to trigger the camera.
In this mode the servo connector should be used to supply between 3
and 5.5V to the unit. The blue wire can thus be connected to the trigger
source(s) of your choice

The version I have is Shutter Plus or it was called Liveview No 039, no blue cable.

As far as I am aware, Shutter will only trigger the shutter, and not switch to video

Dave

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Maybe you have touched upon the crucial point. You are using a gentLED LiveView that operates both shutter AND video. I have one but never used it yet because I moved on to other cameras. However, when I was using the NEX 5n and having the focus/shutter thing I was using the shutter only gentLED.

Video record by i/r is not officially supported by Sony and James (Gentles Ltd.) only found out by accident that the NEX supports the LiveView option.

Now I'll have to set it up with the LiveView gentLED just to see if it works - since I am also using the GLB converter

Dreamweaver

Looks like the next release of the NEX's will have Wifi buit in...should be kinda cool.

sony_nex-5r_nex-6_wifi-580x155.png

~Mike

thijmen5

In this case, it would be worth the shot buying that live-view version.

Mombasa, have you allready tried it?

The only question I got from Sony was to install the new firmware (1.01), which everyone of us allready has.

DaveM

I just finished taking mine apart and removing the sockets and soldering
the wiring I needed.

Just tested it again, mounted on the craft, and all is still working :)

View attachment 5519

Dave

Attachments

• DSC00657 (Large).jpg
    DSC00657 (Large).jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 338

DaveM

Dave, is your autofocus still working while using live view?

I have not got out to do any real life tests as yet, but all the pictures I took out in
the garden and indoors, seem in focus correctly.

A couple of pictures outside that had plants up close are in focus, and when I left
the craft on the patio table aiming up the garden, all the top of the garden seems
to be in focus OK.

Will try and get out for a proper fly in the next couple of days :)

Dave

thijmen5

Do you guys have proper image? Mine has interference bigtime and don't know why it has it. At the beginning when I was testing it was ok, but now all I see are stripes. Even when the heli is not powered on.
The videoTx is powered on when I power on the camera so it's fed by the hdmi cable, the voltage is to low, so when I attach the 3s lipo to the vTx it's shows me that stripy pictures.

What can I do? Tested on the ground.

Immersion 5,8 ghz video 25mw with stock antenna's.
Immersion receiver.

dolby

Needs more bacon!
Where are you mounting your vtx? I got a lot of noise mounting it on the arms until I put a ferrite core on the line.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bison52

I can attest to the effectiveness of ferrite cores. Just setting up my monitor system and on first flight had tons of static/lines while under power.

Put a barrel type core on the power supply lines to the tx and soldered a small pre-wrapped toroid into the video signal line and it cleaned it right up. I was actually surprised at how well it worked.

dolby

Needs more bacon!
Ohh never thought of a pre-wrapped toroid, theres many different sizes. What are you using?

Bison52

It's about .5 in outside diameter and .25 in deep. Wrapped in bare copper wire and I soldered the exposed ends into the signal wire and covered the whole thing with shrink wrap. I got a bag of the things at Radio Shack. I was just shooting in the dark and really didn't expect them to work so well.

thijmen5

What type of ferriet ring do I need? Is any ring ok? That prewrapped toroid looks the same as a ferried ring, is that right? Thanks for the many replies!

the 1080I setting was allready enabled, but didn't help. A ferried ring or such should help me out (I hope).

bordhead

I have exactly the same setup as you, but I had not yet tested it.

Just gave it a try on the bench, with a temporary USB connection for 5v to the HDMI convertor,
and all is working OK like yours.

3 pos switch, flick to photo and back, takes 1 pic, leave switch on photo and it
takes a pic about every 5 seconds.

Switch from off position to video, and its starts recording, to switch off recording
I have to switch to off and video again.

Not sure why some are working OK, are we all on the same firmware ?
Mine is Firmware v1.01 souced in the UK, so a PAL version, if that matters.

Dave

got 3 position switch to work to take photo,3 pos switch, flick to photo and back, takes 1 pic, leave switch on photo and it
takes a pic about every 5 seconds.going opposite direction on 3 way switch i cant get video to start recording? is there a setting on camera ? i need help...

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
There is no specific setting on the camera other than selecting 'i/r remote' - which you presumably have already done as remote photo works.

Question: You ARE using a Sony NEX gentLED LiveView and not just a Sony NEX Shutter Release ?? Rather a basic question but better to get the obvious out of the way.