Sony Nex-5n - downlink

Papa Jeff

thanks for that
i have also managed to get unsqashed video now
but cant get rid of the menu buttons displaying on the right side of screen

am going with a 700 line Sony HAD attached to the underneath of gimbal the nex is attached to
then use nex 5 with a 2 way av switcher just to make sure the nex is recording ok
all because the nex 5 menu buttons on right are annoying me

regards

tiggy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tiggy, I had the same issue but the fix is simple. Go into the NEX setup menu and scroll to LCD display,
then just turn the "on screen" display to off. That's it and now all you will get is the OSD info displayed
on your screen.

Papa Jeff

Oh, I forgot to thank "Skivvie" for his posts regarding his mod to get extra power to the HDMI2AV board. So thanks Skivvie!
Because of your posts, I did remove the plastic case to get to the naked board and discovered the blue LED light, which in
my case, would flicker and then go off when I first tried to power it from the NEX through the HDMI cable. That made me
realize I had a power issue from the NEX to the converter board. Once I found that I needed to make some changes to
the NEX, as outlined in my previous post, when I turned on the NEX, SHAZAM, the blue light illuminated and it stayed
solid so I knew that all was well in Video Land!!!!!!!!:frog:

tikigod19

After weeks of frustration and reading every thread and all the posts regarding this problem with the HDMI2AV
converter not allowing the Sony NEX to display a perfect video image. I finally got it to work without any extra
5v power from the ImmersionRC EzOSD or the vTx, or even from an additional dedicated power source and does
not require any mods to the HDMI2AV board. The solution was from all of your posts on all of the threads, but
it came from combining all of the pertinent comments and then reviewing all of them. Here is the solution....and
it WORKS!

1. Make sure you have the right converter: HDMI2AV White or Black case does not matter.
2. Use any short (1 1/2 ft. to 3 ft.) very flexible HDMI to mini HDMI cable. This is needed so
that the cable does not interfere with,and or restrict, the proper gimbal movements
3. Plug standard HDMI male end into the converter and the mini end into the Sony NEX camera.
4. In the NEX settings menu, change the "hdmi setting" to 1080i
5. In the NEX settings menu, change the "control for hdmi" to ON
6. Power up the EzOSD and the vTx and your goggles or base station monitor or both
7. Now turn on the NEX and you will see the exact image that the NEX is seeing
8. There is no need for any extra 5v power to the converter because it is, for sure, that the
HDMI2AV gets its power from the NEX internal battery. Yes it does drain some of the
power from the NEX battery, but not that much where it would ruin a days shoot. Just
to be safe, get a spare NEX battery.

And that's the name of that tune! Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh..................Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

My tune however is "I'm not going to work for you anymore, I'm just going to frustrate the hell out of you for a month"

My glb HDMI2AV worked fine but recently is not sending any image to the screen at all. I can't get a confirmation that I've blown something on the board so before I know for sure I didnt want to buy a new one, but now I'm thinking its time to just buy another one and wait yet another 4 weeks for it to arrive..

The blue LED comes on and stays on whether powered by the HDMI on the cam, or by the 5V cable soldered to the board and going into my ImmersionRC 600mw TX. However, with both solutions, HDMI se tot 1080i and HDMI control ON, I see NOTHING on the video monitor.

HDMI out works on the cam as I have tested it into my TV, and my TX and screen both work as I have tried it with a gopro.

The problem has to be the GLB board, would you agree?

Is there another board thats recommended over this one now as I really dont want to go through all of this again and find I still can't get my downlink working..

kloner

Aerial DP
bart has some prefabbed ones at aerdro.com,,,, everybody is starting to head over to hd downlinks so the freefly one is a hd router now.... movi and all

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
bart has some prefabbed ones at aerdro.com,,,, everybody is starting to head over to hd downlinks so the freefly one is a hd router now.... movi and all

well, since you mentioned it Steve, I"ve got one new Kopterworx one left and maybe two that have been opened and used very briefly. I've pretty much decided to nix the idea of an online shop so I'll be selling off whatever stock I have. There isn't much but I'm going back to focusing on my media work and keeping this website relevant (read that as more contests, video how-to's, group builds, product reviews, honest assessments of who's full of **** and who isn't, etc., etc., etc.)

tikigod19

How much for your down link solution bartman?

Is it only three kopterworx ones you have? Just watched the video on your website and the hdmi cable looks a bit rigid. I loved the flexibility of the ribbon type hdmi on the glb board. I just didn't like the fact that it chooses to stop working on its own.

Andre the Giant

I think it is designed for use with PAL (50i) versions of the NEX, since it gave me absolutely no signal. I followed the instructions carefully, contacted the seller and got instructions to trouble shoot, and it was still inoperative. At one point, I noticed a acrid burning smell from the adapter and possibly a whisp of smoke. At that point I contacted the seller and requested to return. The seller is very responsive and seems legit. I ended up ordering a HDMI2AV box and going that route.

Topflight

I'm trying to wire in a DJI mini OSD to a Naza V2. Can I wire it in series as shown in View 2? Right now I go from my Sony Nex5 to a mini HDMI converter using a HDMI cable, then out of the mini HDMI converter to my downlink as shown in View 1.
View attachment 17539View attachment 17538

Attachments

• DSC02288.jpg
    DSC02288.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 400
  • DSC02286.jpg
    DSC02286.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 374

gentled

At risk of perpetuating this discussion, I thought I'd say with regard to IR triggering of NEX-5 and HDMI output:
a. The problem is with the camera, its not a problem with gentLED-SHUTTER - even Sony's own remote control doesn't work!
b. The work-around is correct, use MANUAL or AUTOFOCUS MULTI-SPOT
This page has full details http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/hdmi.htm