Sony NEX-5

DennyR

What RIATS did you attend? I have done them all since 2002, love it ;)

Ross

Were you there when I opened the show with a PZL Wilga towing a banner VULCAN TO THE SKY - BUY A TEE SHIRT. One of the Utterly Butterly Stearmans came at me in the opposite direction and made a barrel roll around me and the banner with a girl on the wing. Totally unrehearsed.

Forget the camera work being asked to fly at RIAT is every display pilots dream.

About 9 years ago I guess. Don't suppose you have any footage of it? My guys were too busy profiling in the beer tent.

Last edited by a moderator:

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
... a good used T2i on Craigslist ...

Thanks for the heads up Bart but I am not buying any more cameras. Certainly not DSLR's. Denny's comments about his TM900 brought me back to earth! I have a perfectly good 3CCD Panasonic HDC-SD9 for light duty video work. It weighs a mere 350g with battery and I already know it can produce respectable results, so WTF am I wasting time (and money) on these whizz-bang new video capable stills cameras?

This video was filmed a couple of years ago using the HDC-SD9 mounted on a non-stabilised, but isolated, home-made gimbal on a Raptor 50. There was no sharpening, colour balancing or any of that stuff applied to it. Just basic manual exposure and focus settings on the camera and fly. The high cliffs at the first location disguised a vicious wind coming in that bounced off them and made itself apparent at around twenty meters up. An MR would have been helpless. Academic, they had barely been invented.

DennyR

Thanks for the heads up Bart but I am not buying any more cameras. Certainly not DSLR's. Denny's comments about his TM900 brought me back to earth! I have a perfectly good 3CCD Panasonic HDC-SD9 for light duty video work. It weighs a mere 350g with battery and I already know it can produce respectable results, so WTF am I wasting time (and money) on these whizz-bang new video capable stills cameras?

This video was filmed a couple of years ago using the HDC-SD9 mounted on a non-stabilised, but isolated, home-made gimbal on a Raptor 50. There was no sharpening, colour balancing or any of that stuff applied to it. Just basic manual exposure and focus settings on the camera and fly. The high cliffs at the first location disguised a vicious wind coming in that bounced off them and made itself apparent at around twenty meters up. An MR would have been helpless. Academic, they had barely been invented.

There are lots of reasons why a video camera sensor has to be different from a stills camera. If the raw file is 21 mp then it has to be reduced to about one tenth of that. compression and line skipping is the usual way with a full frame image. smaller sensors that can refresh faster are what is used by most pro tv dedicated video cameras.
Working with a 4K camera needs about 50K investment in editing gear.

Bowley

Continuing a little off topic, sorry.
A question to the more experienced videographers. Is this a fair comparison of the TM900 and 550D?
In my eyes the DSLR beats the panasonic. but I have seen better footage than that comparison, from the TM900.

DennyR

It is hard to tell because the exposures are not the same for each comparison But the dynamic range of the Panny definitely seems better.

PhilippeN

Hello, I have a question, maaybe one Nex5 expert can help me.
I am using a Nex5R, it is connected to a VTX and send image to the ground all is working fine, but I have not found how to remove the Nex5 information which are displayed on my screen and overlap my OSD.
Is it a way to send only the image and nothing else, like on the GoPro when you remove the GoPro OSD from the menu it is all clean.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Friendly,

Philippe