Sony NEX-5

Kilby

Anyone have one of these guys? I'm thinking of picking one up, but would love to hear your thoughts on it first if you have one. I'm drawn towards this camera for two reasons...

1. I actually need a new camera to take on our upcoming honeymoon. Our current point and shoot bit the dust (and it had nothing to do with AP ;-)

2. It seems light enough that I could use it in an AP setting and get better results than my GoPro (my only other AP cam at the moment). We have been printing some of our AP shots to oversize canvas, but the GoPro is limited with only 5mp quality. This cam is 14.2mp so we could print to much larger canvas if needed.

Also, if you have one of these, what type of lens do you have/recommend?

Thanks!

I really like the Nex-5 and I've seen some incredible pics taken by them. I wish I had one but I'm very happy with my Canon S90. They now have the S95, pretty sure the only difference is the S95 shoots HD video. They're basically Canon's high end point and shoots. I use the CHDK hack on it and it works like a charm. Everything is manual, you can set everything and it has a huge sensorSame as Canon G11) for a camera it's size and weight. I've blown up some poster size, 20/30 prints and all I can say is wow! Just another suggestion for you. If your not looking for the HD video of the S95 you can probably pick up a S90 at a good price.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I got one! Love it. but it does not have video out. Pics are amazing and it shoots RAW. I use a 16mm lens although I got the kit with the 18/55 but not used it yet. I also have a Panasonic Lumix TZ10 which is amazing video and would say its better than the Nex5 for video BUT there is no way of triggering it for taking pictures. I use the Gentled led to trigger the Nex5. Recce2 has written a instruction manual for setting it up. Ill try and find it ans post it up or send the link.

Out you want to know just ask

Kilby

Thanks Droider. Like I said, we need a new cam to take on honeymoon with us coming up soon. I thought that if I could kill two birds with one nice cam it would be better. ;-)

I'm sure I'll have some more questions, but I'm running out of the office right now. I'll post some up later.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Kilby,
Where are you having the canvases printed? Online or local?
THanks,
Bart

Kilby

I went to http://www.canvas4life.com/ for this last one. I really like the end result, but they were a little flaky to deal with. Fumbled the order a little bit at first, but it worked out in the end. I will use them again. The price was decent and they offered the exact type of prints that we wanted (stretcher bar frame with no bleed & no finish). The end result really does look a lot like a painting, it's crazy. They can enlarge images for you some as well. I was skeptical of this at first, but the proof is in the pudding. I was able to get a 5mp image printed to a 36x24 canvas and it looked great.

If you get something printed there, be sure to sign up for a "Pro" account first. It's free and they give you an extra 10% off the normal price.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I got this Gentled and I can get it to trigger as i can see with a digital camera. But I cant get my Sony Nex5n to respond. I have looked high and low through the menus for an activate IR/remote option and I see nothing. What's the secret here?

SYNDK8

Skyvokker
Bowley, that's a great find on sony nex5n. From what I have read you shouldn't buy the kit with lens, buy the body and a faster lens, I don't recall the model of the lens but it'll come to me :black_eyed:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Bowley, that's a great find on sony nex5n. From what I have read you shouldn't buy the kit with lens, buy the body and a faster lens, I don't recall the model of the lens but it'll come to me :black_eyed:

The 16mm lens is as good lens for MR.. If I was buying again I wouls still but a Kit with 16mm and 18/55.. You will more than get tour money back by selling on ebay if you dont like um

Dave

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I purchased a Droidworx AD-8HLE specifically to carry the 5D but as far as I am concerned, and despite the marketing declaring the contrary, the 5D is too heavy for it. Yes, of course it will lift it but the extremely short flight times and high temperatures generated in controllers and battery cables indicate a bit of a struggle going on.

I therefore bought a NEX-5N and side-by-side comparisons between that and the 5D show it to be highly competitive and it permits flight times close to 10 minutes with a single 6600 - even with the weight of the as yet unmodified HDMI converter. With the converter out of the box and two 5000 LiPo's the flight time will likely outlast the camera, which will have shut itself down to cool the sensor!

Personally, the 16mm lens is too wide, a) I'm tired of super-wide-angle aerial views and b) the motors/props/skids restrict camera movement if you do not want them to creep into view.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Mbf
Can you please post a link to the converter you're using?
Thanks
bart

I purchased a Droidworx AD-8HLE specifically to carry the 5D but as far as I am concerned, and despite the marketing declaring the contrary, the 5D is too heavy for it. Yes, of course it will lift it but the extremely short flight times and high temperatures generated in controllers and battery cables indicate a bit of a struggle going on.

I therefore bought a NEX-5N and side-by-side comparisons between that and the 5D show it to be highly competitive and it permits flight times close to 10 minutes with a single 6600 - even with the weight of the as yet unmodified HDMI converter. With the converter out of the box and two 5000 LiPo's the flight time will likely outlast the camera, which will have shut itself down to cool the sensor!

Personally, the 16mm lens is too wide, a) I'm tired of super-wide-angle aerial views and b) the motors/props/skids restrict camera movement if you do not want them to creep into view.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke

SYNDK8

Skyvokker
Can't you just use this?

HDMI To 3RCA 3-RCA Video Component Convert Cable

As usual it is miles cheaper on US Amazon. I bought mine locally on eBay for much more. At least it works :)

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Composit...DBP0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321891364&sr=8-1

You will still need to hunt around for a manageable length mini HDMI-HDMI cable if you want to avoid carrying around extra weight and clutter. I found a 0.5m one on eBay and he still has more:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170678430176?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
MombasaFlash.......I was very close to ordering that unit but was turned off by the dimensions. Can you possibly confirm the weight and dimensions of the actual unit? Perhaps it was the shipping units they were giving me.

Seattle_helo.......HDMI is a digital signal. That cable does not convert digital to analog, it only adapts the physical connector. This is only good for a very very few applications where the hardware can accept this. Unfortunately not for what we want. :(

I'm hoping Bart is right in telling us that ImmersionRC was developing a digital video Tx.

Iris, sorry, I wasn't very clear. I realize HDMI is digital. I was just pointing out that cable would not work.

I went ahead and picked up the converter. The size is not bad. Removing the case is mandatory. I'm also removing the s-video connector and RCA jacks entirely. Will hard wire into it. Might hack off a HDMI cable as well to see what kind of weight it saves. Would also be one less HDMI connector which is always good. I hate HDMI connectors... :D I'll post the total weight once it's shrink wrapped.

I agree that a digital input would be nice on a vTX but it too would need active circuitry for the conversion. Would probably be less weight overall but maybe not by much? Hopefully we'll find out soon.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Here is a quick clip showing the Canon 5D mkll and Sony NEX-5N side by side for comparison purposes. Done for my own benefit but I thought I would share it here.

Last edited by a moderator:

SYNDK8

Skyvokker
Nice,

I noticed the full frame difference right away. I've been filming with 5Ds for 2 years now and I am also now picking up the Sony 5n, its super light and quality is great as well :)