Sony CX730/740/760 info centre

thijmen5

Will I find a lot of improvement from going to the cx730 coming from a nex 5n? The panning shots get a bit 'stuttery' and unsharp see the next video.

Will the cx730 give much improvement? For the rest the nex 5n gives me good images, but it could be better
And when slowed down, how much improvement will I find here?

It might be quite relative to say how much it will be improved, but I wonder if it's worth the money.

In this movie I notice that the x900 gets the subjects a bit faster in focus, what do you guys think about it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Will I find a lot of improvement from going to the cx730 coming from a nex 5n?

I am shooting pictures with the nex and videos with the 730 (used it this afternoon too) and neither of them can surpass the other in its field of excellence.
So if you're asking if your videos will be better with the 730: yes, for sure. But you will be disappointed if you compare pictures taken with the 730 to the ones you're used to have with the 5.

snurre

I am shooting pictures with the nex and videos with the 730 (used it this afternoon too) and neither of them can surpass the other in its field of excellence.
So if you're asking if your videos will be better with the 730: yes, for sure. But you will be disappointed if you compare pictures taken with the 730 to the ones you're used to have with the 5.

I do my video shots with the CX740VE and I am pleased with the results.

Using the Sony CX7x0 for stills is possible, but I do it only when it is convenient in connection with video shooting sessions (no time for switching cameras on the copter) and the requirements on picture quality are moderate. The CX7x0 relatively smaller sensor and its JPEG only format (no RAW) cannot compete with dedicated still photo solutions.
For quality still photo sessions I use the Lumix DMC-G3 with high performing lenses.
/ Tomas

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Very nice. I am on hold with the cx760 as I dont know if i "need" the extent of the BOSS. I would like to hold on the GH3 which I would assume has identical OIS to the GH2. I'm just curious how different the GH2 OIS is to the Nex5n since I have that for comparison. Clearly the BOSS soaks up all that extra and has the advantage of being able to do mid flight zooms. But I dont know if I want to sacrifice all that compression.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Very nice. I am on hold with the cx760 as I dont know if i "need" the extent of the BOSS. I would like to hold on the GH3 which I would assume has identical OIS to the GH2. I'm just curious how different the GH2 OIS is to the Nex5n since I have that for comparison. Clearly the BOSS soaks up all that extra and has the advantage of being able to do mid flight zooms. But I dont know if I want to sacrifice all that compression.

MEGA OIS is limited to Level One for movies with the GH2 – you probably already know that – and is pretty much comparable to the 'Steady Shot' system of the Nex-5n under most circumstances. However, the GH2 is light years better in a pan with OIS turned on than the Nex – or any other camera that I have tried come to that. There is virtually none of the 'pan stutter' that most cameras exhibit.

The BOSS system, with its entertaining floating lens, smooths sideways movements of the camera by slowing down the start and stop of its corrective movement. The image still moves but with a slow start and stop it is not so noticeable. However, the floating lens quickly comes up against the end-stop with an extended pan. At that point it has to decide whether to continue to try and analyse and hold an image or just hang on until it all ends (much like I do with rollercoaster rides!), at which point it can do its 'soft-stop' trick again. It is a usable system.

But the biggest, and in my view fatal, flaw with the 730/40/60 is the ridiculously limited manual options. The reduced sharpness of the image over the GH2 only adds to the negatives.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
It seems some of the newer lenses say powered OIS instead of mega OIS. I wonder if they will improve on this, which is what I wanted to wait for. Theoretically if the GH3 could utilize AF on my Canon glass I would sell everything i own. But as mentioned, it is always better to wait a few weeks/months when a camera comes out.

Does the CX760 have composite out that is functional while recording? I'm sure this was answered but dont feel like digging for it.

thanks

Yuri

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
hmmm, that is nice isnt it.

Whats weird too is that BH has had a price range of $1300-1700 on this camera in the period of a month. Kinda annoying when you think you're gonna make the plunge and all of the sudden the price went up $400!

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I put the cx in the BH shopping cart and then I cancelled it-again. I dont know why i cant bring myself to buy this camera. Its the GH3 dream I guess. C'mon december 5th!

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I put the cx in the BH shopping cart and then I cancelled it-again. I dont know why i cant bring myself to buy this camera. Its the GH3 dream I guess. C'mon december 5th!

Look at the previous comment. That's another reason I sent it back. The Battery!

You will find that you have to fork out for a battery charger - if you can find one - because the CX730/40/60 is not supplied with one. Charging is direct to a socket on the camera so, unless you can find a charger, the camera is out of action every time you need to charge a battery. On the plus side it charges reasonably quickly, unlike the NEX batteries which need approximately an ice age to fully charge.

If you are accustomed to working with a GH2, or a NEX, or ANY DSLR (ALL of which come with separate battery chargers !!!), you will be accustomed to changing camera settings with dedicated buttons and wheels using the rear facing screen. The CX7XX plunges you into the world of inaccessible sideways screen, no buttons at all and a touch-screen that is barely visible in daylight.

Of course, you could argue that with its poor manual options there is nothing to set anyway and therefore you won't have any need for buttons or screen legibility!

Good Luck with your conundrum.

EDIT: Since I had to correct a typo I may as well add .... take enough time over your decision and next year's model will be out !

I really can't believe it is more expensive in US than in Italy, here we can have it for 799 Euros. Problem (for me) is that for a little less than that i have been offered a used fs100 and i already own nex lenses so....doubts...again.

Maybe i shouldn't quote it in a serious forum like that but here in Italy we say that is better not to mistake chocolate for.....no, i really can't quote that here...:highly_amused:

Macsgrafs

hahahaha no worries Claudio, I'm sure we all know what you mean ;)
I meant to ask, where in Italy are you getting the sony cam for E799?

Ross

Hello Ross,
hope nobody got offended then...:nevreness:
The camera is in one of the shops on ebay, don't know them personally but given feedbacks and all the usual checks i do (do your owns, though) i am not worried to share it. Item nr is 221074990454. Usually the trade off for the low price is they ship in 5 to 10 days from purchase.
Claudio

Brombo

Just a point of view
Hello,
i realized this and other videos with the 740 and i'm enough happy to say that for the price is a good camera.
The only thing that i don't like is how it works with the roll movements. For sure better of most of the camera tried until now.

Sardinia Multirotors

see you

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Does the BOSS take out higher pitched vibrations or is it just jerky movements? I dont really have a bad gimbal setup such that I need to compensate everything with a camera. As stated, the roll is not stabilized and the pan is ok. Picture aside, the quadrocopter guys and a lot of others testing have a pretty tuned gimbal to start with. I would be curious to see what it does on a bad motor/unbalanced prop, glitchy skyline kinda setup. Not that I have this but just curious how much it really eats up. The other thing I bet this camera does better is stay stable while zooming in. Thats huge. Imagine doing a dolly zoom with a heli?

E-Copter

Hi,

the camera will be able to " delete" all small vibrations and jerky movements, and smoothen the compensation, except for Roll. But if your Roll compensation is setup correctly on your gimbal, you should be all fine.

Most Roll issues people ca get are simply that they reach the mechanical limits of Roll travel in flight because flying in too windy conditions or simply too " hard" :)

@ Brombo: very nice video, only one suggestion : your Yaw ( panorama) speed is too high, this is what causes small jerky movements, the BOSS lens comes to bind at it's max travel , you need slower yaw, simply, and you will be all right :))))

Best regards,

Fabien

Brombo

Just a point of view
Thank you Fabien,
yes i made some slowly and some fastly just to see how the camera works in all the conditions,
i'm always in test time :)

I will post soon some test with the Cinestar 360 and 3 Radian to see the difference.