Hoverfly Something Big?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgeprods

Well I think its exceptionally poor form for HVP not to at least make some comment on this forum & remain so silent. After all wasn't it they who set up this forum stating it attracted a more 'professional' flyer than the one at RC Groups? Now they seem to have just left the premises & us all guessing & waiting for anything, let alone something big… not very professional on their part!

Dont get me wrong, I do like my HVP hexa but I dont trust the GPS that much. In fact I decided to buy a DJI Phantom V1.1.1 to play around with & that 'toy" as some call it runs rings around the HVP, particularly in GPS mode. GPS is great thing to have when you run into trouble or get disorientated & one that works rock solid is worth having. Getting some really nice footage with a cheapish Tarot gimbal as well. The software is pretty cool too IMO. I may even switch to the Naza V2 on my hexa soon if HVP keep treating us like mushrooms.

How about it HVP. just one comment to let us know you are still with us would be nice?

Steve.

Last edited by a moderator:

Efliernz

Pete

Hoverfly "Livesky" tethered multicopter.

It's not just a flying polecam but IT'S NOT A UAV and wont be subject to the regulations.

Well done Hoverfly for thinking outside the square! It will make the tethered helium balloon cams redundant.

Do we know what altitude it will hover (for ever) at?

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:

Av8Chuck

Interesting concept I guess. I'm not sure why they think it won't be subject to FAA rules. I don't believe the rules differentiate between "Radio" controlled or "Remotely" controlled, its still flying into the air and if your charging money for it I bet the FAA will try to force it into the same category.

Doesn't look like it would lift much of a camera and it looks expensive.

How did you find it? I didn't see it on their website.

It will be interesting to see what others think. I think its intriguing but if tethering is all it takes to circumnavigate the FAA I'm sure some smart people will figure out how to add a wire to a receiver so there doesn't have to be wholesale changes to the existing fleet of MR's. Adding power over the wire would certainly free up some real estate and weight, that would be cool.

Efliernz

Pete
"Canada Goose" on the RCG AP forum posted it... it was released on the HF Vimeo channel. That's all I can find out so far. In these times when companies are "out there" with their promotions really quickly, I would have expected a little bit more...

In NZ, AP from tethered balloons or kites is not regulated commercially. They just need to be under 400' along with all models. I could see this being good at broadcast indoor stadium sports events etc.

Pete

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Interesting concept I guess. I'm not sure why they think it won't be subject to FAA rules. I don't believe the rules differentiate between "Radio" controlled or "Remotely" controlled, its still flying into the air and if your charging money for it I bet the FAA will try to force it into the same category.

Doesn't look like it would lift much of a camera and it looks expensive.

How did you find it? I didn't see it on their website.

It will be interesting to see what others think. I think its intriguing but if tethering is all it takes to circumnavigate the FAA I'm sure some smart people will figure out how to add a wire to a receiver so there doesn't have to be wholesale changes to the existing fleet of MR's. Adding power over the wire would certainly free up some real estate and weight, that would be cool.

Tethering is an effort to find a loophole that makes commercial UAV use "legal". Not sure I entirely understand the thinking there but at least one person claims they've gotten the OK from the FAA and has produced a product that allegedly satisfies the requirement... http://www.futurehobbies.com/products/details/487/80/professional-multirotors/faa-complaince-package

Imagine a fancy modified fishing reel type device for only $600 that comes with it's very own FAA compliance certificate that at the end of the day is probably worth about as much as the paper it's printed on, and I'm willing to bet you won't find an authorized signature by an FAA official on it!

Now we all know just how long a multirotor can be kept in the air with onboard batteries so as far as I can see a tethered helium balloon is a much better value for dollar spent/time in the air per flight ratio AND they are perfectly legal with honest to God real FAA regulations that don't need to be circumvented through clever loophole ideas to use them for commercial ventures.

Ken

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I think this is a great idea, I've actually thought of doing this myself. I dont see why the FAA would care if it is tethered and limited to a reasonable height. Hopefully it does a lot more than fly an FPV cam. They should be marketing this with something that will lift an Arri Alexa or 10+ lb cameras as that is the market. No worry of power loss, gps failure, interference. It is as reliable as the motors and esc's. So flying a large expensive camera becomes much more realistic with a greatly reduced risk factor. I would like to see the cord management and if it really can stay out of the way while not affecting the heli in a way that shows on the video. Cool idea though.

Ken, a blimp, really? have you seen how friggin large a balloon is just to lift a 5d? ZERO wind tolerance, massive amounts of unrecoverable helium. not realistic for the masses.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I think this is a great idea, I've actually thought of doing this myself. I dont see why the FAA would care if it is tethered and limited to a reasonable height. Hopefully it does a lot more than fly an FPV cam. They should be marketing this with something that will lift an Arri Alexa or 10+ lb cameras as that is the market. No worry of power loss, gps failure, interference. It is as reliable as the motors and esc's. So flying a large expensive camera becomes much more realistic with a greatly reduced risk factor. I would like to see the cord management and if it really can stay out of the way while not affecting the heli in a way that shows on the video. Cool idea though.

Ken, a blimp, really? have you seen how friggin large a balloon is just to lift a 5d? ZERO wind tolerance, massive amounts of unrecoverable helium. not realistic for the masses.

Who said anything about the masses, a balloon is no crazier than a tethered multi that can only hover over it's fishing reel! Last time I recorded video I actually flew around, can't imagine limiting it to a small circle of airspace directly over one spot although there are some instances where it might be useful. Besides that a balloon can stay in the air literally for days, don't know of any multirotors that can do more than 10 minutes or so with any substantial payload so if you're planning to hover in one spot to capture the action, you better hope it takes less than 10 minutes...

Mactadpole

According to the video it runs from what looks like a 120 VAC inverter and has unlimited flight time. So I guess it has to be plugged into an outlet to fly.

FYI: I just received great service from HF once again. They may be quiet, but they are still there and responded to my needs fast and got me what I needed.
Thanks HF.

Av8Chuck

I'm not sure how important responding to forums is for customer support and satisfaction. Maybe they didn't get the kinds of returns needed to justify the amount of time these forums consume.

I don't think the lack of activity really means much to real customers, more to those either on the fence or lack the kind of AP experience HF would want as a customer anyway.

Hopefully they have some good larger customers and they can live long and proposer

Status
Not open for further replies.