Hoverfly Something BIG coming soon!

Stacky

Shameless plug:

Aerdro.com makes a nice kit to elevate the GPS board above the HFP board to get the magnetometer out of electrical fields. It made a big difference on one of my Y6 copters. Check out the 'miscellaneous' section of their website.

jeffparisse

P.s. Oops... I see Bart already mentioned it in Post #35.

Thanks for the link, when I get around to a GPS board one day i will remember this.

Stacky

Attachments

• 1382886_644511452245921_1730013939_n.jpg
    1382886_644511452245921_1730013939_n.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 445

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Do I detect a note of discontent in Hoverfly land?

BTDT, still have the green Pro board... ;)

For what it's worth, I'm frustrated because I have a heli w/ HF PRO that flies way better (and allows my mount to shoot great video) than anything else I've seen but I can't get GPS performance that would compare to what is now market standard. So I have one heli with big motors using HF PRO and a second heli using Mikrokopter and std. ESC's. I need to build a third heli, also with the bigger motors, but I can't decide if I should plan to use my spare HF PRO or my spare MK FC2.1 with the ACC mod. The HF GPS is OK but not as good as the MK which is actually very good when the GPS gain is on a slider.

Other than this little dilemma of mine, I'm still convinced HF PRO is the best flying FC available. I'd try the SuperX but it isn't quite up to the task of flying my XY frame just yet (but we're working on it).

Back to watching Green Bay beat Minnesota (it never gets old!)...

Bart, I am with you on this. I still fly two HFP boards. One on an Octa and one on an XY8 (still a green board). I've spent hours messing with the GPS to no avail. Even with the external mag. I am trying out the X right now. The GPS is amazing, but so far overall it does not compare in smoothness to HFP. But, I am not comparing apples to apples as the SuperX is just on a small quad. The Manual and AL flight modes on the HFP are great, but there are so many times when GPS would be a great asset. If nothing else, it saves a ton of stress to fly a long scene, where disorientation is common and with the NAZA or super X I can set sticks to neutral and regroup. Not so with the HFP.

So, yes, there is some discontent in the land of HFP. This latest announcement did not help. I am not giving up on HF, but I just purchased an Alexmos board and built a brushless gimbal for the GH3 and it is amazing! If HF is releasing a Brushless gimbal controller, it better be solid or there will be hell to pay. I am very curious about their BGC but HF needs to fix their GPS as a top priority. An announcement should have been made on this front.

Last edited by a moderator:

jfro

Aerial Fun
Bart, I am with you on this. I still fly two HFP boards. One on an Octa and one on an XY8 (still a green board). I've spent hours messing with the GPS to no avail. Even with the external mag. I am trying out the X right now. The GPS is amazing, but so far overall it does not compare in smoothness to HFP. But, I am not comparing apples to apples as the SuperX is just on a small quad. The Manual and AL flight modes on the HFP are great, but there are so many times when GPS would be a great asset. If nothing else, it saves a ton of stress to fly a long scene, where disorientation is common and with the NAZA or super X I can set sticks to neutral and regroup. Not so with the HFP.

So, yes, there is some discontent in the land of HFP. This latest announcement did not help. I am not giving up on HF, but I just purchased an Alexmos board and built a brushless gimbal for the GH3 and it is amazing! If HF is releasing a Brushless gimbal controller, it better be solid or there will be hell to pay. I am very curious about their BGC but HF needs to fix their GPS as a top priority. An announcement should have been made on this front.

Tahoelight, I'm pretty much in 100% agreement with you, esp on your first paragraph. Love the HFP flying, be even better having a GPS/ATT mode for insurance , recovery or what ever you want to call it. It takes so much stress and injects so much more enjoyment to flying when you have a few $$ dollars in the air. When I have my x8 in the air and I lose orientation, I literally almost have a 2 second heart attack.

I switched my xy8 to x8 to try the XaircraftX flight controller. Right now, I'm not sold on the x8 config & XAircraft. It's been very windy here, but that's a good test.
On my XY8/hfp, I had to have the gains set perfectly on my larger alexmos gimbal gh3/gh2/ to get perfect video. If I didn't have the HFP (and alexmos) gains set up perfectly, I could here it on the MR and see some extra jitters in the video So far that's what I'm getting on the XAircraft. Video can be rock steady on hoover, but then when it starts moving around, I get some occasional jitters. It's still too early, but I also haven't got the silky smooth flying on the XAircraft yet. Sometimes it feels decent, but then when some wind comes, it's a jittering fool. It's easy to fly though with the ATT & GPS modes, just not silky smooth. I still tuning to get subtle moves in ATT and GPS mode. I shows promise, but........ Maybe I should try it on a hex...

It would be so simple if HF would get a decent GPS/ATT type mode for a reasonable amount of $$.

For what it's worth, the funnest and smoothest flying I get is with gopro on my NazaV2 f450 with tiger motors. If I could set the exposure on that camera, I'd fly that the majority of the time in narrow mode. It's so much fun to fly when there isn't much wind......

I'm going to switch gimbles this afternoon and try to get a couple tuning flights in on my x8 w/ XAircraft. Maybe it's my gimbal settings, This stuff is just confusing.

workshop

I sold all my HFP boards except for one set for a film making copter. Those guys tell great stories but I don't think I'll do business with them again (sound familiar Al?).

GPS on APM 2.6 is simply amazing. So great, in fact, that after a 15 minute complicated geomapping run, the APM's GPS will auto land into the very same divots in the grass from takeoff position.

No ground station means no precision geomapping. I guess HF is sticking to it's core mission of film making. I wish them the best of luck with their new Y6. It looks cool and will probably sell well to their core audience.

jeffparisse

Last edited by a moderator:

jes1111

The dealer map on the Sky-Hero site shows nothing (currently) for USA - so I'm assuming Hoverfly have grabbed the USA territory for this rather odd machine. Two ESCs inside each arm? Errmmm... bad idea, methinks!

Stacky

The dealer map on the Sky-Hero site shows nothing (currently) for USA - so I'm assuming Hoverfly have grabbed the USA territory for this rather odd machine. Two ESCs inside each arm? Errmmm... bad idea, methinks!

Whats odd about it? Its simply a Y6. Esc's inside the arms? I cant see that, have you got a different photo?

gadgetkeith

likes gadgets
just google SKYHERO or youtube it theres loads of info on them with all different FCs etc

if your not keen on ESCs in the arms just make a PDB with ESCs and mount it under the base plate and just run the wires down the inside of arms easy

keith