First Crash

Phil550

After a year of flying my 550 I've had my first serious crash....
Last week I was having a problem with my DX8 not communicating with the RX on my workbench. I could reload the Naza firmware (2.02) but not calibrate the sticks.
I rebound the system (inc failsafe) reloaded the software, reset all the parameters inc failsafe, recalibrated the sticks, imu and gps and it was all working fine.
Went to the flying field, recalibrated the gps and the first flight was fine - failsafe / rth and ioc all working.
I landed, turned everything off, changed the battery and took off again. All ok for the first 30 secs (in gps mode) and then lost all control...it started flying back towards me, flew round in a circle and crashed into the ground hard, at about 45 deg. Switching to atti didn't help. Luckily it hit the ground backwards so my brushless gimbal and hero 3 survived intact.
Does this sound like a partial signal loss - failsafe didn't kick in but I checked everything on Assistant when i got home and it was working fine.
Any suggestions on how I can find out what went wrong?

Short video of the fatefull flight...

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil550

Any suggestions as to what happened here?
Also - DX8 users - is it worth upgrading from the AR8000 to the AR9020?
Thanks
Phil

FlyGirl

Last week I was having a problem with my DX8 not communicating with the RX on my workbench. I could reload the Naza firmware (2.02) but not calibrate the sticks.
I rebound the system (inc failsafe) reloaded the software, reset all the parameters inc failsafe, recalibrated the sticks, imu and gps and it was all working fine.
Went to the flying field, recalibrated the gps and the first flight was fine - failsafe / rth and ioc all working.
I landed, turned everything off, changed the battery and took off again. All ok for the first 30 secs (in gps mode) and then lost all control...it started flying back towards me, flew round in a circle and crashed into the ground hard, at about 45 deg. Switching to atti didn't help. Luckily it hit the ground backwards so my brushless gimbal and hero 3 survived intact.
Does this sound like a partial signal loss - failsafe didn't kick in but I checked everything on Assistant when i got home and it was working fine.

Take this with a grain of salt as I just started with MR's this spring (long time in R/C though) but it seems to me given the communication issue you had while on the bench you probably have a bad receiver or maybe a short in one of the wires connecting the Rx and FC. The reason I say that is if the Rx went on the fritz then the NAZA wouldn't enter into failsafe as the failsafe conditions are stored in the Rx. Failsafe is great if the Tx goes out or you lose signal because of interference or distance but as far as I can tell, losing the Rx electronically is like the worst possible failure. But then again, I may be totally off base. LOL! Just a guess on my part but it sorta makes sense... ;)

CdA D

If you have an issue with your antenna Tx/Rx that might be the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crasher

Clearly this sport needs an affordable flight recorder to help us understand the "WHY?" of our costly crashes.

Phil550

Thanks for the responses.
I can't find anything obvious that is wrong so I think I'll replace the RX as a precaution - is it worth upgrading to the AR9020 from the AR8000?

CdA D

Futaba isn't an up-grade it's a different sys/manufacture. I've been flying Spectrum for over a year and haven't had any problems. As far as up-grading to the AR9020 Rx I don't know why you would. You are using an 8ch Tx and the AR9020 is for the 9ch Tx. Your paying for a Rx that isn't for your Tx. Respects

Phil550

Futaba isn't an up-grade it's a different sys/manufacture. I've been flying Spectrum for over a year and haven't had any problems. As far as up-grading to the AR9020 Rx I don't know why you would. You are using an 8ch Tx and the AR9020 is for the 9ch Tx. Your paying for a Rx that isn't for your Tx. Respects

I'll stick with the Spektrum - as you say, lots of people haven't had any problems.
The only reason I'm considering the AR9020 is that it has 2 remote satellite receivers which should maintain a better signal.

CdA D

I'll stick with the Spektrum - as you say, lots of people haven't had any problems.
The only reason I'm considering the AR9020 is that it has 2 remote satellite receivers which should maintain a better signal.

Good point, but if your antenna is exposed properly then I wonder if you need to go to that expense. I have mine on one of my booms attached with a tie wrap and it is bent down (not at a 90 deg angle, but curved) so that I get reception. This works for me, but maybe not for you. Let us know how you solve the problem. Have you tried a "Range Check" to see how your signal is?

mutley2

Sorry about the crash, looks like it hit hard!!! I've 5-6 AR8000 on Align 550DFC to a Mini Titian and none have ever missed a beat, hope you are up and flying soon...

cootertwo

After you put in the second battery, did you wait for the warm-up light cycle? Naza can be pissy if it isn't ready to take off. Especially the GPS.

cootertwo

Chit, I'm always running into interesting threads, while searching for something, and forget to look at the dates............................