Hoverfly Something BIG coming soon!

workshop

That said, I have done builds where the ESC was entirely within an enclosed body or dome, the way I dealt with the cooling issue was to remove the shrink wrap and use some Arctic Silver thermal epoxy to attach heatsinks to the FETS then recover with shrinkwrap after which I cut away the area covering the heatsink. In the four multis I currently have setup that way the ESCs stay well within operating temps even under heavy use in 90 plus degrees ambient temperatures. They do get hot but not nearly as much as if they had no heatsink and remained wrapped in plastic.

Great solution. A safe method is to remove just the center section of the heat shrink with a hobby knife so that it retains the original AL heatsink that is affixed to the rows of FETs. Silver epoxy a copper chip cooling heatsink (Oxide sells some great ones - for cooling chips on PS3, etc.) and you're good to go!

jeffparisse

jes1111

Some excellent general info coming out. Just to add: the additional heatsink on the FETs is obviously a smart move but remember that if you do have battery-side wires any longer than original supplied with the ESC then the caps will have to work harder to absorb the greater voltage spiking - meaning they'll get hotter than normal. The caps have a voltage rating (often 35V) and a temperature rating (often 100 degrees C) written on the casing. First thing I do with all my ESCs is swap the caps for these: http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/ABA0000CE132[1].pdf- Panasonic Low ESR, higher voltage rating, higher endurance rating, slightly bulkier. I don't trust the "Rubicon" devices usually fitted to be legit ;) - by my observations, capacitor failure is one of the most common causes of "unintended landings".

Having removed the heat shrink to change the caps I also re-seat the aluminium plate heat-sink using quality thermal paste and then re-wrap. (I don't fit finned heatsinks because I don't enclose the ESCs.) I also junk the supplied wires and use better quality stuff, but that's just me :)

EDIT: damn editor keeps messing up the link. It should be this:
Code:
[URL]http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/ABA0000CE132[/URL][1].pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
a servo gimbal? are you kidding? they musta missed the notice about brushless gimbals making servo gimbals worthless......$$$

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
a servo gimbal? are you kidding? they musta missed the notice about brushless gimbals making servo gimbals worthless......$$$

Kloner, I'm beginning to wonder about you. and about Hoverfly with that gimbal release.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
You know how they say "fight fire with fire?" I wonder what would happen if you fought jello with jello. Maybe with the right consistency of jello you could make a bowl and throw your camera on it. Now that's high tech!

kloner

Aerial DP
hahaha

i can buy a $2200 3 axis av200 gimbal right now on any forum in america for $500

lets say you were in the gimbal business,,,, is it making any since to touch a servo gimbal anymore and r&d?

I'm worried about you bro, gotta keep up on theh technology if you want to be at the front.... don;t fall too far behind with the old ways... the brushless gimbal revolution is a pretty big one, mighta noticed it go by..... aerial mob hasn't flown a servo gimbal since i threw mine away in jersey. That's the second best thing that's happened to us behind hiring a cinematographer

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
Would be good if it was all true, but that footage was unusable. A bushed motor gimbal, like this, would have been more of a 'something big'.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
hahaha

i can buy a $2200 3 axis av200 gimbal right now on any forum in america for $500

lets say you were in the gimbal business,,,, is it making any since to touch a servo gimbal anymore and r&d?

I'm worried about you bro, gotta keep up on theh technology if you want to be at the front.... don;t fall too far behind with the old ways... the brushless gimbal revolution is a pretty big one, mighta noticed it go by..... aerial mob hasn't flown a servo gimbal since i threw mine away in jersey. That's the second best thing that's happened to us behind hiring a cinematographer

Kloner, I'm keeping up but we're doing different things and you can't seem to accept that my requirements are different from yours. remember, i was making money with my gimbals before there was a cinestar, shooting buildings, making videos (not great but not too terrible either), learning a lot and building a book of business. if you want to be the guy then you need to start understanding what other people need instead of telling them about what you do. Brushless is great, my Zenmuse got here yesterday and I've got other systems in the shop I'm tinkering with. Brushless won't cut it for my main photo rig though and I'll be out there again today shooting up the sky with all of my servo driven wonder, getting great results and making $$ (it's nice that we can say that finally!).

regarding HF's gimbal, I'm getting better results with my servo driven rig (using their GIMBAL controller) that has no sway of the gimbal itself so I think they're trying to solve a problem that doesn't really exist which is a bad path for engineers to take. maybe they'll get it tweaked better and it will surprise us. i'm open to that if they can do it, maybe it'll find a niche somewhere, who knows.

kloner

Aerial DP
i guess.... we shoot videos, photos, hero to epics all on the same $1500 gimbal..... does it all awesome, any lens and camera minimal tuning......an epic on a sevo gimbal is a joke. you risk all that gear, send it up and get the crappiest looking footage any operators ever seen, drop it on the same brushless gimbal and it's like magic

zenmeuse, yea, that's not really what i was talking about regarding brushless gimbals.... locked into one camera, one lens, not really even in the same league..... right now today if a guy is starting up, they will all gravitate to the brushless gimbals for cost and performance, period....

Your right, you were doing this stuff for a really long time..... I'm a year in, gone from working real estate to filming at paramount......

we are also engineering, first go is now in production at tens of thousands kinda numbers,,,,,

Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I think it's very possible that someone will come out with a direct servo drive that has excellent stability AND can quickly adapt to varying weights and off balanced cameras. But the fact is that Hoverfly chose to post footage that was comparable to not having a gimbal at all. They are not known for their marketing skills or beautifying their products. More probable is that brushless controllers will evolve to allow over sized motors and easier tuning if not auto tuning that works instantly. I'm actually surprised we havent seen any linear actuators yet. there was talk about this a few years back and the company that was making them claimed insane precision and speeds. Anyone remember that? Was it, gulp.......Denny?

jfro

Aerial Fun
Kloner, are you using a Hexacrater/Kloner built brushless gimbal? I assume the Alexmos controller? Assume some big motors for the Epic. You must have some serious tuning time if you are going from Gopro to Epics on the same gimbal. Impressed on the camera range...