Blacksails

The aerial is great these comments are more general rule of thumb kind of things for video production. Dissolves denote a change of location or time, I know people think their artsy but they really slow down the pacing which might be one reason it feels a bit long. Some of your shots were a bit long and I don't mean simply the amount of time on screen, the opening shot was long but you came up and turned to reveal the view from the house, worked well but you did the same sort of shot at the pond and it didn't have the same effect. After the establishing shot you can really pick up the pacing by cutting to closeups around the house, you did some of that and you can see how it moves along better. Remember try to group objects in three's [triangles] wherever possible instead of shooting straight on. I realize this is aerial but people really like to see what they're looking at, aerial is great at establishing the scene but you can also cut in shots from the ground that payoff the establishing shot. Plus it switching between extreme POV's can have a really cool look to it.

I didn't find it too long but it did feel a bit slow. I don't agree with the guy at the pub, you can have a 30 second video that's 25 seconds too long and a 10 minute video that the viewer wished there was more. If its compelling with good pacing then it can be as long as it needs to be. But even in aerial it will flow and feel shorter if the video has a beginning, middle and an end.

Wow. Thanks for taking the time to type that up, man. Very helpful!

kgarrison

Blacksails, I watched through the video and the camera work is very nice. Keep in mind that no video can't be nit picked a little, which is all I can really do on this one. A few of the pan shots across the front seemed repetitive. I think I would have preferred a little more distance to see more of the building. The shots also don't seem to be in any particular order. I think you could have just reordered the scenes to tell more of a story, meaning each shot builds or continues from the previous shot. The flying was very well done and some of the yaw movements were some of the nicest I have seen.

Blacksails

Blacksails, I watched through the video and the camera work is very nice. Keep in mind that no video can't be nit picked a little, which is all I can really do on this one. A few of the pan shots across the front seemed repetitive. I think I would have preferred a little more distance to see more of the building. The shots also don't seem to be in any particular order. I think you could have just reordered the scenes to tell more of a story, meaning each shot builds or continues from the previous shot. The flying was very well done and some of the yaw movements were some of the nicest I have seen.

Thanks Kgarrison.

I see what you mean. We're new to the editing side of things which is why I'm asking for crit. Thank you.
I'm glad you like the yaw movements. It's all copter, our camera man does not have control of pan.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Blacksails… nice work but remember to check out the sun position relative the copter.. nit picking.

Where you based?

D

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Wife and I took a drive today and grabbed some photos and videos. The photos were shot with a Sony NEX 5n and the video was all shot with the P2V+. My wife had control of the camera so I could focus on flying. Given it was her first time, she didn't do too bad.

Keep it up matey… the rabbit hole is deeper than pockets, some nice ideas in the video some executed better than others but not bad… even better that u got her indoors interested.. mine runs a mile when she sees mine coming out for a fly!

D

Last edited by a moderator:

kgarrison

Keep it up matey… the rabbit hole is deeper than pockets, some nice ideas in the video some executed better than others but not bad… even better that u got her indoors interested.. mine runs a mile when she sees mine coming out for a fly!
D

We moved to Colorado last June and try to get out for a drive on the weekends when the weather is good to try to see as much of the state as we can. Combining the aerial stuff is something I have wanted to do for a while and she got into it by controlling the camera. A few too many camera adjustments and we are working on communicating so she can tell me where to move/turn etc. but at least its a way of us enjoying the hobby together.

Hi Folks,

Here's a recent FPV. Just hanging out with the surfers in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
It's spring. Notice, the surfers have no wetsuits. Gotta love the tropics.

Cheers!

jhardway

Track day, it a very rough draft of clips from a day out at the race track. I doubted it some to some music to pass the time. Best to all

bensid54

Track day, it a very rough draft of clips from a day out at the race track. I doubted it some to some music to pass the time. Best to all

I must say that was one the more interesting videos tracking the cars ripping around the race track. Great work!

FlyGirl

Interesting.... I just did one there too.... :) What club was that? Mine was the SCCA....