Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Nice and steady away there.. looks a tad warmer than when I was there.. What esc'd are you using now and what have u dumped?

Dave

Kari

Yeah it was nice windy +2C, but no need for Sorel shoes anymore :) This was with 30A HK blue with SimonK firmware, and it really is playing nice with them. Before i had 40A HW Pentiums which are also working very well, these feels slightly better in wind but not huge different what i've noticed yet. Just don't know how safe is to use 30A:s with my qc3328 motors which are rated also 30A, at least nothing has been even slightly warm yet.

Kari

Nice and steady away there.. looks a tad warmer than when I was there.. What esc'd are you using now and what have u dumped?

Dave

Hi all, here's some footage shot using a GoPro 2 and a new mount I've been working on to remove rolling shutter artifact (Jello)

Let me know what you think

Cheers

Stu

Last edited by a moderator:

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
Hi all, here's some footage shot using a GoPro 2 and a new mount I've been working on to remove rolling shutter artifact (Jello)

Let me know what you think

Cheers

Stu
Looks good, I Liked it on YT. I can't believe someone gave it a dislike, I mean what's to dislike? What have you done with your camera mount to reduce vibrations anyway?

Looks good, I Liked it on YT. I can't believe someone gave it a dislike, I mean what's to dislike? What have you done with your camera mount to reduce vibrations anyway?

Geday, this was essentially my first departure from stills to video so it's onwards and upwards from here. Using a MK heavy lift quad that's "heavy" has a lot to contribute to the smoothness as mass is the natural enemy of vibration. The GoPro is mounted out front supported, between the arms in an X configuration on a gimbal that doesn't have any tilt or roll compensation....just fixed and surrounded by memory foam. I have taken some of the design elements and have now introduced tilt & roll onto the mount which to date the results have been very encouraging, allowing me to shoot in windy conditions and still achieve smooth video. Once fully tested I will be manufacturing the gimbal for sale in low volumes as well as show those of you the basic design so you can make you're own. Simplicity is the key and with a little more refinement I think it will be a good thing keeping in mind that soon enough global shutter cameras will be upon us and remove a lot of the hassles we currently face with rolling shutter artifact.

Cheers

Stu

Hi All,

Just finished a couple new mini film reel using the Cinestar 6 by Quadrocopter
Used the CS 2 axis and the 3 axis but I still prefer my good old 2 axis set up.
Still fiddling with CineStar 6 rubber vibration dampeners, and i think helped with rolling shutter especially with the micro 4/3 cameras that are very light.

Still looking for much better video.

Anybody hear of the new black magic camera that is set to ship this summer? Sounds very interesting for the price. Pretty nice form factor for heli! Here is the Link- http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/blackmagiccinemacamera/

Cheers! :nevreness:

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Doesn't look any different to a NEX-5n. It still has that rather unsatisfying softness to the image and the 'jello' is still there.

I am led to understand that the main drawback with the NEX series is that, despite having an excellent sensor, it is the amount of information that is discarded in order to write to the SD card that degrades the recorded image. This is why the GH2 hacks with their increased data flow are producing such stunning results. Mind you, the GH2 produces cleaner, sharper video than the NEX anyway.

Unfortunately, the GH2 appears to be in short supply - and overpriced if you can find one.

I am wondering if the NEX HDMI output is coming straight from the sensor. If it is then an HDMI digital recorder might capture everything and deliver properly impressive HD.

I absolutely agree with you. However, in post I can see the difference compared to the 5n. Especially with the raw file with the compressor custom settings. Vimeo compression is also a big factor in degradation. 60P overcrank on the NEX 7 is pretty much ideal compared to the GH2 that does less fps natively even with the new hack.

The FPCX Compressor File eg. Pro Res is drastically different.

On the camera topic, I'm going to go straight to the NEX FS100 or new NEX FS700 if I can swing, and when it is available to us mere mortals.
I think I will skip the GH2 all together. I really like the GH2 with the new hack BUT a lot of the footage looks the same and grading becomes key to get those theme'd cinematic looks.

On the HDMI- Not sure. Would be cool to check it out.

Thanks for the comments.

Cheers!

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I got all excited when I heard about the FS700. Then I found out the projected price. Arrrgh.

The problem is I am looking for a workable Multi-Rotor camera solution. The FS100 is tempting - even though it will be seven times more expensive than a GH2 - but it still weighs in at a kilo, without a lens. I want to find a 500-600 gram camera that can deliver the goods and enable the MR rig to stay airborne for at least ten minutes. The GH2 is currently apparently the only camera in that weight bracket that is capable of producing 'wow' quality video. Even the Panasonic XSeries camcorders are not as good. I know. I tested and compared them all two weeks ago.

Atomos established their credentials with the Samurai SDI recorder. For around $900 the Atomos Ninja is a Pro DVR with HDMI input and encoding direct to ProRes. But it weighs in at 670g with battery and Hard Drive, so add that to the NEX's 480g and we have hit 1kg again. The GH2 w/ 14-42mm is 618g with battery and SD card.

I'd like to get my hands on the GH2 with a Prime and test it. I think your right but still a proper cam like the NEX FS100 would be ideal. I use my MR as a substitute to jibs and cranes etc... So I can live with 5-6 mins FT with multiple batteries. The ninja sounds like a good set up but again the payload issue and fiddly when all needs to be set up on the platform
The GH2 may be the secret weapon. I'll to get my hands on one and test.

plingboot

Here's a 50 second clip from a quick shoot on saturday evening.

I seem to be having issues with jittery gimbal servos - using Futaba S3156 continuous.

At ground level there wasn't much breeze, but at tree top level there were gusts - you can see/hear when a gust hits as the motors start working hard and the gimble jitters.

Running the gimbal servos from the flight pack via a turnigh 6v switching reg. Ground shared with both the reg and the WKM.

Props level, balanced and running parallel to each other, co-ax motors level, gps holding solid.

Any ideas?