RC Flying

A Drone Mind
So you agree that it might well be a waste of money to have an inbuilt RX ;)
Depends, in my case definitely not. Sometimes I don't need long range video, say if I'm just flying above a church, so I can just use the built in 5.8ghz and not have any wires anywhere. If you only do long range stuff then, yes, there is no point getting the RX versions as you'll need to plug in systems with patch antennas, helix antennas or whatever and be tied to a ground station anyway.
With relatively close stuff it is nice to be able to get everything out of a shoulder bag and just FPV right away without setting anything up, then just as quickly put it back in the bag and walk off when you're done. I can still do that with my Lawmate attached to the back of my head like I said, but that still only gets you about twice the range of the 5.8 - though I could try having a 1.2 cloverleaf and skew planer setup.
Basically I'm glad I have it as an option. If I bought a second pair of goggles I would get them sans RX though and keep the two separate for different jobs.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Nice flight Terry.

My maiden FPV flight of my HT-FPV frame...

The car drift was OK.. and nice filming as always Juz.. BUT lets see more of the TANKER.. WOW!
Quality

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
second trip out FPV, having a hard time feeling comftorable low still, but getting there

Weather was calm in our neck of the woods ( first time in months ), we just had to go fly.

ghaynes

Brimstone. Nice video but take a few minutes and clean the sensor in your camera. Multiple spots of dust bunnies are showing up ;)

ghaynes

Most likely not on the front of the lens but on the sensor. Not sure if the D7000 has a sensor clean mode. If not follow the manuals guide to cleaning the sensor. It's not as hard as folks would describe. One way to check for dust is to stop the lens down to f22 and shoot a picture of the sky in aperture mode. Check the image on your monitor. No darks spots and you are clean. Bit harder in dusty environments or shooting large sensor medium format. My Hasselblad doesn't have any automated sensor clean, just me...

Maybe, but i was using Nex5n. besides, Avid has some powerful painting effects. Like they always say.. fix it in post.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I am glad you posted those videos. Thank you. They answer a nagging question. The NEX-7 image is no sharper than the NEX-5n.

I guess you must have been shooting at 50fps - unless your buddy is a real slow mover.

Welcome. I did some test processing on both nex5n and nex7. Initially, I did conform them at 4:0:0 chroma sub-sampling and they look kinda muddy and separation of colors blends together. So i did another pass at 4:2:0 ( current ) and day and night difference.

I do wanna try something like 4:2:2 or even 4:4:4 but not enough time to do it. Also, need to verify native chroma sub-sampling on both cameras.

Actually, it is slow. I shot it at 59.94psf "60p" and slowed down to 29.976psf 50% real-time ( i could speed up to 2x on some section to create more illusion that that everything is smooth )
http://tedsimbajon.com/Blog/TechBlogExploded.php?id=70

Update:

No need to test. Both camera uses 4:2:0YUV

View attachment 3799 View attachment 3800

Attachments

• Nex5n.jpg
    Nex5n.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 309
  • Nex7.jpg
    Nex7.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 290

danyak101

First trip out filming anything worth looking at. Pretty stoked so far. C6, MK, GoPro HD

Kari

Something from this morning, again testing another set of esc:s. Wind was around 12 knots and gusts 16.

Kari