Show us what you shot.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Aye Up Kilby.. nice shot... bet your hands where shaking through aye

Dave

So this is a shot i've been planing on for over a year now. Once I was finally ready to get the shot, the weather turned nasty and all the trees lost their color. Today was the day that I could finally go for it. It's George Washington on top of the countries first monument to him located in Baltimore, MD. It's 176 feet up in the Mt. Vernon neighborhood of the city. I've got a bunch of other photos to go through from the shoot, but this one jumped out at me so I wanted to share it now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Monument_(Baltimore)

View attachment 5362

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Aye Up CK..

I use auto on my Nex5 with 16mm lens. I am sure the pros on here will have better suggestions.. like fixed focus maybe.

Dave

Hi, Can anyone help with what settings are best to take aerial shots?

A mate has a octo and id like to mount by Nikon D5100 to take a few shots, but i'm unsure what settings would be best (not had a DSLR for long so still a noob)

I have a remote shutter to take the shot, but just unsure what mode and settings to use on the camera.

Thanks

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Dave, I'm going for my Dads 70th anyway, I just wanted to do some pics for the portfolio so it's a freebie!

Did you install panels for them? I'll have to have a word with the financial person for you, maybe jump on someones nuts :)

Gunter.

Aye Up Gunter did you get any shots? Would be nice to have seen the Arts centre completed.. Whats it like?

PS it was for a bore hole that they claimed did not work..

@Macsgraf..when its so far north and they want the claim dealt with in their local court AND you are up against a group that have the highest IQ in the world per head of population.. I think I would have been on a hiding to nothing!

plingboot

Here are a couple of pics from a favour shoot for a friend - the house and area around it are about to undergo a huge rebuild and they wanted a record of it now.

Used the DW Y6 and WKM with a GoPro2 in an AeroXcraft gimbal. I had the live feed connected to an IRC Vtx which let my mate use either the fatsharks or the JapanFPV box to frame the shots. It blows people away when they put the goggles on before lift off - the experience and also the ability to frame the shot.

Set the GoPro2 to shoot a pic every 5 seconds.

Did some video footage, but having problems with a jittery gimbal.

View attachment 3862View attachment 3863View attachment 3861

Attachments

• 2012_04_14_aerial_03.jpg
    2012_04_14_aerial_03.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 280
  • 2012_04_14_aerial_02.jpg
    2012_04_14_aerial_02.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 244
  • 2012_04_14_aerial_01.jpg
    2012_04_14_aerial_01.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 153

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Gunter, that B&W shot is a bit special, like it mate.

Thanks!

Aye Up Gunter did you get any shots? Would be nice to have seen the Arts centre completed.. Whats it like?

PS it was for a bore hole that they claimed did not work..

Dave,

Some pics below of the shoot in Scotland. Arts centre top left in the pic below.

findhorn_foundation_09_field_of_dreams.jpg

findhorn_foundation_03_field_of_dreams.jpg

findhorn_foundation_15_carins_house.jpg

Toytown special

findhorn_foundation_23_field_of_dreams-tiltshift.jpg

I also did a 360° panorama of Bag End with the GoPro. Scroll to the bottom of the page to see the flash:

http://www.asandp.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=230:scotland&catid=61:what-weve-been-doing&Itemid=265

I'm sure I have a better one of the arts centre, I'll dig it out...

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
BH.. they have built so much since I was last up there. It lloed lke something out of the hobbit last time I was there. At least now I know they did not go with my design on the art centre..ah well guess they know better...

Blimey i see cars... whats that all about..

Great shots but I have to say that toy town thingymabob is getting a bit tired now for me.. would rather just see the shots.. ut again nice to see what u got.They all with the Nikon?

Dave

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
BH.. they have built so much since I was last up there. It lloed lke something out of the hobbit last time I was there. At least now I know they did not go with my design on the art centre..ah well guess they know better...

Great shots but I have to say that toy town thingymabob is getting a bit tired now for me.. would rather just see the shots.. ut again nice to see what u got.They all with the Nikon?

Dave

Yes, all with the Nikon J1, except the spherical panorama, which was done with the GoPro.

Not making excuses here, but we had literally minutes between rain showers. We sat around for ages waiting for the rain to go, as soon as it stopped we set up for the next shot...then it started again! Hence some shots weren't as clear as I would have liked, water on the lens caused a bit of grief, as well as snapping while the heli was moving about and panning....lesson learned!

G.

Kilby

Aye Up Kilby.. nice shot... bet your hands where shaking through aye

Dave

You KNOW they were, Dave. ;-)

Honestly, the idea of this shot is what got me into AP in the first place. It was a nice feeling to finally be able to get it.

7085449329_e70d153d11_c.jpg

7085449081_70ef40975d_c.jpg

This one pretty easy actually. I was able to launch from a parking garage nearby and get it with nothing in the way.
6939374698_8d96dd5fe5_c.jpg

-Terry

I just put a droidworx frame together and shot 5000+ pictures during the process. It's not from the sky, but I figure someone might enjoy it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake Bullit

Fly,crash,glue,repeat!
I just put a droidworx frame together and shot 5000+ pictures during the process. It's not from the sky, but I figure someone might enjoy it.

That can`t be right,never saw you crawling about on the floor once for dropped vital components;)

Great build,enjoyed the film.:)

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
That can`t be right,never saw you crawling about on the floor once for dropped vital components;)

Great build,enjoyed the film.:)

Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

We obviously have something in common. I spend MY LIFE crawling around looking for screws, washers, nuts, radio connector pins. We even have an expression in this house, "Pick it up, Drop it".

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Very nice pics Gunter, despite the weather, it was a bit dull over easter, did you get any of the Blue Angel, that my favorite coffee spot and the cake is awesome.

We went past it, but never popped in for cake! I was actually in the process of doing shots over the Universal Hall but then the heli decided not to play ball...that's when I decided it was time to go home!

Gunter.

DennyR

Hi, Can anyone help with what settings are best to take aerial shots?

A mate has a octo and id like to mount by Nikon D5100 to take a few shots, but i'm unsure what settings would be best (not had a DSLR for long so still a noob)

I have a remote shutter to take the shot, but just unsure what mode and settings to use on the camera.

Thanks

A few pro tips that may help.

If your camera has aperture priority then shoot at F8 as this will give you the sharpest pictures, you then need to set your ISO speed so that it will produce a shutter speed of between 1000 and 2000 sec. This will depend on the available light. If you have auto focus then disable it and fix the focus just off infinity. You may need to tape the ring to stop it moving. If you have image stab. then enable it. I hate these wide angle distortions where all of the verticals bend at the edges. So I use a standard 50mm or 80 mm lens. (Full frame 35mm) or (35mm-55mm. 22.3X14.9 image sensor) for a much more natural look.
I also prefer to use the camera in portrait mode rather than landscape as it produces much better stitched panos and 360 x360's. Shoot in raw mode and then use the individual RGB channels to color correct. Last but not least. Shoot when the light is good. If you want good color saturation then shoot with the sun behind you, slightly offset. If you shoot down and into the sun all you will see are the shadows. Have fun....

Last edited by a moderator:

Macsgrafs

A few pro tips that may help.

If your camera has aperture priority then shoot at F8 as this will give you the sharpest pictures, you then need to set your ISO speed so that it will produce a shutter speed of between 1000 and 2000 sec. This will depend on the available light. If you have auto focus then disable it and fix the focus just off infinity. You may need to tape the ring to stop it moving. If you have image stab. then enable it. I hate these wide angle distortions where all of the verticals bend at the edges. So I use a standard 50mm or 80 mm lens. (Full frame 35mm) or (35mm-55mm. 22.3X14.9 image sensor) for a much more natural look.
I also prefer to use the camera in portrait mode rather than landscape as it produces much better stitched panos and 360 x360's. Shoot in raw mode and then use the individual RGB channels to color correct. Last but not least. Shoot when the light is good. If you want good color saturation then shoot with the sun behind you, slightly offset. If you shoot down and into the sun all you will see are the shadows. Have fun....

1/1000 or 1/2000....I normally use 1/500 or 1/640, I find that to be plenty. I keep my iso on 100 as I prefer higher quality, especially if the end result is going top be scaled up by as much as 600%!

Ross