Attachments

• village06_02_12.jpg
    village06_02_12.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 443
  • londshadow06_02_12.jpg
    londshadow06_02_12.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 380

ZAxis

That's looking pretty good, ZAxis. What camera was that shot with?
Thanks KIlby.

It's a NEX5 with 16mm lens. Shooting on intelligent auto function, vivid colour setting & RAW quality. Hope this weather holds so i can do some good video tests.
Lec

ZAxis

cheers.
it was this first time i have ever shot actually having the camera feed rather than a pov cam & I can defiantly say it is the way to go. So much better being able to see onscreen info & the actual field of view. Just wish I had more time each morning before work!
Lec

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
The first is Porth en Alls, Prussia Cove in Cornwall. I took the MK Octo not long after assembling it with the intention of filming my nephew's marriage within the walled garden. Come The Day and the heavens opened. The following day the clouds cleared for about 40 minutes around 4:00pm (although the brisk breeze stayed) and the MK was sent up. It was blown around like a leaf but did manage to get this pic of the house.

The other two are local here in France. A mini château styled B&B in my village and the Disney Golf course with the Radisson Hotel in the distance.

These were all taken with the MK Octo and a Pentax Optio S-12.

View attachment 3093View attachment 3094View attachment 3095

Attachments

• PrussiaCove-1510s.jpg
    PrussiaCove-1510s.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 380
  • CastelMorin-3s.jpg
    CastelMorin-3s.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 388
  • RadissonGolf.jpg
    RadissonGolf.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 320

jes1111

It's a NEX5 with 16mm lens. Shooting on intelligent auto function, vivid colour setting & RAW quality.

Just 'cos I'm in a pedantic mood:
"Vivid colour setting" applies only to in-camera JPGs. Raw (it's a word, not a capitalised abbreviation) means exactly that: the raw, unprocessed output of the sensor. When you "develop" a raw image using software like Lightroom, Dxo Optics Pro, etc. you are executing a similar process to what the camera does internally when shooting JPGs. So the only settings that apply when you're shooting raw are ISO, shutter speed and aperture: everything else happens on your computer later.

Beautiful pictures, btw :)

ZAxis

Just 'cos I'm in a pedantic mood:
"Vivid colour setting" applies only to in-camera JPGs. Raw (it's a word, not a capitalised abbreviation) means exactly that: the raw, unprocessed output of the sensor. When you "develop" a raw image using software like Lightroom, Dxo Optics Pro, etc. you are executing a similar process to what the camera does internally when shooting JPGs. So the only settings that apply when you're shooting raw are ISO, shutter speed and aperture: everything else happens on your computer later.

Beautiful pictures, btw :)

Agreed ...
We've noticed shooting raw does produce much better images than the overactive 'in camera' jgeg conversion, so have given up on jpeg shots.

Macsgrafs

cheers.
it was this first time i have ever shot actually having the camera feed rather than a pov cam & I can defiantly say it is the way to go. So much better being able to see onscreen info & the actual field of view. Just wish I had more time each morning before work!
Lec

I never get to see that view, but my cam op does..I do feel cheated though ;)

The first is Porth en Alls, Prussia Cove in Cornwall. I took the MK Octo not long after assembling it with the intention of filming my nephew's marriage within the walled garden. Come The Day and the heavens opened. The following day the clouds cleared for about 40 minutes around 4:00pm (although the brisk breeze stayed) and the MK was sent up. It was blown around like a leaf but did manage to get this pic of the house.

The other two are local here in France. A mini château styled B&B in my village and the Disney Golf course with the Radisson Hotel in the distance.

These were all taken with the MK Octo and a Pentax Optio S-12.

View attachment 4475View attachment 4476View attachment 4477

Being 100% truthful with you my friend..The first one is the best, love it..the composition works for me, such a shame you couldnt get the big day, I think it would have been a cover shot! Not to keen on the big mansion, nice though it is...I feel you have to much angle, I need to see more of the front! The 3rd id also very nice & guides me eye nicely into the scene, but it lacks the drama of the cliffs from the first shot. I am biased though ;) I live right next to coastline like your first shot ;)

Ross

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I never get to see that view, but my cam op does..I do feel cheated though ;)

Being 100% truthful with you my friend..The first one is the best, love it..the composition works for me, such a shame you couldnt get the big day, I think it would have been a cover shot! Not to keen on the big mansion, nice though it is...I feel you have to much angle, I need to see more of the front! The 3rd id also very nice & guides me eye nicely into the scene, but it lacks the drama of the cliffs from the first shot. I am biased though ;) I live right next to coastline like your first shot ;)

Ross

Do you remember that? When we would not have had time to pass by Barnstaple and you commented how we were headed for the 'Pirate Coast'. We arrived at Porth en Alls on Friday afternoon and it was bright sunshine and absolutely charming. Did a walk around planning shots for the video of the wedding. Everything wonderful and then on Saturday morning the weather just turned to solid sh1t - and stayed that way until Tuesday, except for that small break on Sunday afternoon. So that pic was the sum photographic total of the whole expedition !!

The château guest house pic is one of a series basically taking all four angles for the owner's website. Here is another of them.

View attachment 3102

Following on from recent camera comparison video tests how about this one? The first is taken with the Pentax Option compact from the MK Octo. The second was taken two days later with the Canon 5D from the big gasser heli. That is €200 for the first camera and €3000 for the second - never mind the cost of the respective 'copters. The pics have been resized for uploading only. Shocking, huh?

View attachment 3103View attachment 3104

Attachments

• CastelMorin-4s.jpg
    CastelMorin-4s.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 337
  • Radisson-PentaxOptio.jpg
    Radisson-PentaxOptio.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 364
  • Radisson-Canon 5D.jpg
    Radisson-Canon 5D.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 347
Last edited by a moderator:

Macsgrafs

I do remember MombasaFlash & I know how frustrating things can be, I have a wedding to shoot at the end of May, might even take the octo as it's a good friends wedding (mates rates). I much prefer this shot of the chateau.....maybe a touch more altitude, nut I'm very picky like that ;) ;)
Looking at the thumbnails the 5D is far richer, just look at the greens & sky, but its still a hard choice!

Ross

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
It was a brighter day when we went back to do the shoot with the 5D two days later, not to dismiss the normally excellent and very appealing colour balance of the 5D. If there is a blue sky the 5D landscape shots have simply gorgeous colour (see below). But there is no getting away from the fact that 'cheapo' cameras are getting pretty darn good.

View attachment 3109

Attachments

• qs_campus-s.jpg
    qs_campus-s.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 299

Macsgrafs

It was a brighter day when we went back to do the shoot with the 5D two days later, not to dismiss the normally excellent and very appealing colour balance of the 5D. If there is a blue sky the 5D landscape shots have simply gorgeous colour (see below). But there is no getting away from the fact that 'cheapo' cameras are getting pretty darn good.

View attachment 4492

Very true, the cheapos are gettign better every month. The only draw back is that if you get a really wicked photo, its hard to blow up jpg's without losing serious quality, hence why I always shoot on RAW, at least I can scale it up 600% with hardly any loss of quality, especially when I print 36" x 24" onto canvas ;)
View attachment 3111

Ross

Attachments

• tr-sofa1.jpg
    tr-sofa1.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 319

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Won't argue with that. JPEG's from El Cheapo Compacto are good enough for web use but not for printing.

Clever shot of the wine glasses. The propwash hasn't caused a ripple.:highly_amused:

BTW..
I much prefer this shot of the chateau.....maybe a touch more altitude,

We had to watch out with the altitude from this angle because the plot on the other side of the road had all sorts of crap, trailers and broken vans. Didn't exactly mesh with the upmarket image the B&B gent likes to promote. There was an altitude shot to show more of his plot but it is a bit boring.

View attachment 3112

Attachments

• CastelMorin-2s.jpg
    CastelMorin-2s.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 246
Last edited by a moderator:

Kilby

Very true, the cheapos are gettign better every month. The only draw back is that if you get a really wicked photo, its hard to blow up jpg's without losing serious quality, hence why I always shoot on RAW, at least I can scale it up 600% with hardly any loss of quality, especially when I print 36" x 24" onto canvas ;)
View attachment 4494

Ross

Hey Ross,

Could you explain a little bit about the benefits of Raw format? I've never used it before, but my Cannon has the ability. Like yourself, I like to shoot with the ultimate end goal of printing to canvas. How much would this help me in that effort? My s90 only goes up to 10mp, so i'm a little limited on how large I can print if i'm using the jpeg. Will Raw format allow me go larger without artifacts?

Also, how do you edit your Raw images? I tried opening one in Photoshop CS5 last night and it threw me an error. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

-Terry

Kilby

I'd also be curious to know how your workflow changes when working with raw compared to jpeg. Just trying to get my head around all this.

Thanks!

-Terry

Macsgrafs

Won't argue with that. JPEG's from El Cheapo Compacto are good enough for web use but not for printing.

Clever shot of the wine glasses. The propwash hasn't caused a ripple.:highly_amused:

BTW..

We had to watch out with the altitude from this angle because the plot on the other side of the road had all sorts of crap, trailers and broken vans. Didn't exactly mesh with the upmarket image the B&B gent likes to promote. There was an altitude shot to show more of his plot but it is a bit boring.

View attachment 4495

That's one of the downfalls in aerial work, you get to see all the crap that ground based shots can't :) Looks like a great place & I'm sure the owner was happy with your work MF.

Hey Ross,

Could you explain a little bit about the benefits of Raw format? I've never used it before, but my Cannon has the ability. Like yourself, I like to shoot with the ultimate end goal of printing to canvas. How much would this help me in that effort? My s90 only goes up to 10mp, so i'm a little limited on how large I can print if i'm using the jpeg. Will Raw format allow me go larger without artifacts?

Also, how do you edit your Raw images? I tried opening one in Photoshop CS5 last night and it threw me an error. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

-Terry

Terry, RAW is just a digital negative without the camera adding its own crap on top. With RAW files you can alter the exposure +/- 1 stop without losing quality, you can change white balance without degrading quality, you can sharpen the image & correct many niggles that you cant do in JPG.
RAW takes more editing to start with, but the results are worth it. What format are you files Terry when you save them from cam onto the computer? *.CR2??? If so try right clicking & select open in CS5...have you got the thumbnail viewer installed for windows?

Ross

Kilby

Terry, RAW is just a digital negative without the camera adding its own crap on top. With RAW files you can alter the exposure +/- 1 stop without losing quality, you can change white balance without degrading quality, you can sharpen the image & correct many niggles that you cant do in JPG.
RAW takes more editing to start with, but the results are worth it. What format are you files Terry when you save them from cam onto the computer? *.CR2??? If so try right clicking & select open in CS5...have you got the thumbnail viewer installed for windows?

Ross

I'm using a Cannon S90, so it's the crw file extension. I just found a wiki for that file type and it says that Photoshop should be able to open it, but I had no luck. I'm using CS5 on a Mac.

From the wiki, it sounds like that format is no longer being used by Cannon. Do you think PS has stopped supporting it, or is something just not right with my set up?

Thanks!

-Terry

Kilby

Never mind.. I think I just answered my own question with a quick google search. There is a plugin I need to update for PS to read that format. It is supported, I just have to run an update first.

Thanks!

-Terry