S800 alternative props

DennyR

denny will have to start mass-production at some point especially if you look at the prices of the S800 props and judging from the quality not justified at all. Which is a bummer actually like the mounting method the DJI introduced with the S800
Boris, they did that to lock you into buying their props. Which was a crazy idea when they had no stock. They are just far too labour intensive If they had designed a good quality carbon reinforced injection molding then they could have had a bite out of the non DJI cherry's

DennyR

denny will have to start mass-production at some point especially if you look at the prices of the S800 props and judging from the quality not justified at all. Which is a bummer actually like the mounting method the DJI introduced with the S800

The first time I tried to remove a DJI Carbon prop I found that the screws had been over tightened at the factory rounding out the allen key drive, so they would not come off without some careful work with a small Dremmel wheel to cut a screwdriver slot. Imagine that problem at the flying site.

DennyR

This morning I tested the 14x4.7 APC's on the S800 and got 17mins duration with a fully loaded model with Zen fitted including the standard heavier zoom lens. It was set to GPS mode and I left the TX on the ground for most of the flight. Then I saw a red flicker so I landed. So with the help of some guys at the club, we then decided to try and shoot some video to show the vibration on the arms and got another 2 mins. before seeing the red light again. The battery (11amp. Maxi.) level when I started to recharge it was 22.2 volts so I could have gone longer but I like to look after those little gems. They are expensive.

This shows me that those APC's are quieter, more efficient and run longer. They also offer proof that the carbon blades are the primary cause of this flexing in the arms and high vibration levels.

They are about 14 usd for the APC pair and the DJI Carbon are about 75 usd. aprox. The wind was quite gusty and my feeling was that it was typically a lot more stable than on the DJI props. I don't think you guys who bough my adapters will be too unhappy with your investment......

Most of the movement that you see is me on the sticks.

We still have 4 more props. to try....

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
This morning I tested the 14x4.7 APC's on the S800 and got 17mins duration with a fully loaded model with Zen fitted including the standard heavier zoom lens. It was set to GPS mode and I left the TX on the ground for most of the flight. Then I saw a red flicker so I landed. So with the help of some guys at the club, we then decided to try and shoot some video to show the vibration on the arms and got another 2 mins. before seeing the red light again. The battery (11amp. Maxi.) level when I started to recharge it was 22.2 volts so I could have gone longer but I like to look after those little gems. They are expensive.

This shows me that those APC's are quieter, more efficient and run longer. They also offer proof that the carbon blades are the primary cause of this flexing in the arms and high vibration levels.

They are about 14 usd for the APC pair and the DJI Carbon are about 75 usd. aprox. The wind was quite gusty and my feeling was that it was typically a lot more stable than on the DJI props. I don't think you guys who bough my adapters will be too unhappy with your investment......

Most of the movement that you see is me on the sticks.

We still have 4 more props. to try....

very nice ! just staying in vienna and not going on vacation because i am waiting for the mounts :)

cs8

I'm looking forward to the complete results from BorisS and DennyR. Good job. S800 with carbon props is really quite loud in the air.

jffry7

aka TruckBasher
Denny good results and flight times are great too....Man, you are making me pull the trigger and buy the S800 sooner. I'll PM you for quotation and shipping to my place...

hugy

Great results denny, in my tests the xoar 14x5 proved to be about 10% more efficient then the apc 14x4.7 props. So you should deffinitly try those too.

dolby

Needs more bacon!
Thanks for the video BorisS, can't wait to get the ones I ordered from you to test them out. Did you send them normal post? How long do you think it will take?

Why is your LED flashing white so fast? Or is that just the camera doing something weird?

DennyR

Yes its the camera, for some reason this camera overheats in the Cyprus sun after about ten mins. my next camera will be a Canon M in White.....

Guys, Don't forget that the shaft is 6 mm. so if you want to try 8 mm props then don't forget to order the inserts.

ChrisViperM

I just quickly glanced through the specs of the Canon EOS M and that boy looks pretty promising....45 bit at RAW format, RemoteCapture-Software(for PC), 22,3 x 14,9 mm C-MOS Chip with 18.000.000 pixels....and the price is below Lumix GH2.

PS: If it's too hot until you get your new camera, you can always use this: :tennis:

View attachment 6553

Chris

Attachments

• 371433-cocktail-umbrella--yellow.jpg
    371433-cocktail-umbrella--yellow.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 305

DennyR

Chris
Temps in Cyp. dropping now. At Last!! I fancy the new 40 mm pancake lens to go with that...

Found a new flying site by a river last week. It's great for us MR and Heli guys.

DennyR

Just tried a set of Graupners - Nice, no figures yet. :tennis:
Electricwingman that was a fast service...

gregs

Denny, how can I purchase a set of your mounts? Also, what battery are you using (11amp. Maxi) and where?

DennyR

Last week I left the S800 by my car and the sun came around and started to heat it up whilst we stopped for a beer. After half an hour it was so hot I could hardly touch it. Much hotter than the motors or the ESC's get after a long run. I now always have a silver sun reflector over it. Black is not the best color in hot countries. Something to consider with carbon models.