Tuning hot CCW motors

Our CCW motors are running hot on our Hex. Our assumption is this is an issues with Yaw setup. Any tips on tuning this out?

Efliernz

Pete
It sounds like your motors are not even. I remove my props and put on a disk (like a record if you remember those black vinyl thingees) on each motor instead of props. That let's me balance a small spirit level on the disk. Make sure they are balanced in all directions - rotating the mount around the arm as required.

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:

apeman88

My experience is that DJI CCW motors always run warmer than CW motors. In fact, 5.12 and 5.14a firmware makes it run even hotter for some reason and I believe is the cause of my crash last week.

Ken

kloner

Aerial DP
When i first started and would mess with balancing all the time, i'd see this. when i switched over to graupner props it all stopped. it always happened on my apc props. i'd swap props around, balance, try all kinds of stuff and nothing would change it

kloner

Aerial DP
I've been thinking about what all i changed to make mine going away and the props was what did it, but more, i was always running slo fly props when it did it, apc 10x4.7.....I think the big ear makes the yaw control work harder and heats em up. i tried changing motors, tried different apc props, nothig changed, then i threw a bunch of money at it in one shot and it all went away, all my motors are the same temp now

kristiaj

Yes, and no.. Controlling yaw with straight motors using only the torque of CW and CCW propellers also makes motors fight each other. But controlling yaw with only propeller torque difference is very little effective. So the motors have to work very hard just to make small yaw changes. I.e. CW motors have to increase rpm a lot and CCW motors have to decrease rpm a lot, causing all motors to increase rpm in order to keep the altitude.. This makes CW motors and ESC's overload, while the CCW motors lifts much less. Tilting the motors adds the possibility of sideways trust in addition to the torque effect. Sideways trust is a much more efficient way to yaw, and the motors only need small rpm adjustments.

Just my opinion.. give it a try.