S800 alternative props

DennyR

What can I say, I have to try these next. Thanks FerdinandK.

This is what helps us all get to where we want to be.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Where's the best place to buy Graupners?

My quad came with 10" APCs and I was reasonably happy with them. The Quad was freaky quiet. I'd never seen a quad fly in person, only in video, so when I first flew it, I was amazed because it was so much quieter than everything I'd seen before? But after breaking some, and not having a local supply, I tried the black plastic cheap "CF reinforced" props and I'm not real happy. Very hard to balance, noisy, and the centering is impossible with those stupid adaptor rings. So I've ordered some more APC's for that, and then 12x3.8 APC for my Octo.

But I'm curious so see if there's anything better.

Has anybody done any thrust testing?

Last edited by a moderator:

DennyR

I just bought a set from electricwingman... I believe the thing that one needs to consider is that it's not just about lift efficiency. Sometimes it may be better to loose some to gain stability, agility or less vibration.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I just bought a set from electricwingman... I believe the thing that one needs to consider is that it's not just about lift efficiency. Sometimes it may be better to loose some to gain stability, agility or less vibration.

Or reliability.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
How are the Graupner CAM slim props? Looks like a nice profile? Which are the one's you guys use, the Slow Fly? Those are limited to 11x5?

DennyR

Where's the best place to buy Graupners?

My quad came with 10" APCs and I was reasonably happy with them. The Quad was freaky quiet. I'd never seen a quad fly in person, only in video, so when I first flew it, I was amazed because it was so much quieter than everything I'd seen before? But after breaking some, and not having a local supply, I tried the black plastic cheap "CF reinforced" props and I'm not real happy. Very hard to balance, noisy, and the centering is impossible with those stupid adaptor rings. So I've ordered some more APC's for that, and then 12x3.8 APC for my Octo.

But I'm curious so see if there's anything better.

Has anybody done any thrust testing?
Rob
I did a lot of testing with around twenty different props. As a general rule max.lift is about absorbing the available power into the max. swept area i.e. prop.dia. which in turn means low pitch angles.(APC's) however in the real world the best lifters don't always fly that well. Low KV motors will run a bit more efficiently but can also run out of revs. at higher payloads or lower batt. levels, then the model has no extra power to stabilize itself. High KV motors need a higher aspect ratio blade (Like Graupner E) as they need to run faster. In the end it's suck it and see.
An example of running out of revs and stabilization occurs when you don't enable the battery level warnings on the WKM, it simply falls to one side because it has no power/rpm left to increase the speed of the motors. Often confused with the FOD.

DennyR

To all those who bought a set of adapters many thanks and they are now winging their way to you. I also thew-in some extra nuts and screws. It is going to be exiting to see what you guys can come up with in terms of alternative props. Right now APC and Graupner E's are looking good.

To those who missed the boat more are coming next week.

kloner

Aerial DP
rob, this place has every size they make, it is Graupner USA
http://www.v-eastonline.com/categories/Graupner-Prop-Shop/Graupner-E%2dProps/
but shipping is ups ground, think for me is $18.80 and they charge a $4.95 handling fee on top of that.

We have some sponsors here that offer some of there line, but might not be the big ones your after
http://gothelirc.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=156&cat=Graupner+Props

this one also has the apc's you had
http://www.addictiverc.com/store/agora.cgi?product=Multirotor_Props

http://aerialmediapros.com/store/index.php?cPath=31_34
http://aerialmediapros.com/store/index.php?cPath=31_32

DennyR

Thank god we saved the machine file. Ten more sets now in stock for those who missed the boat. If you break even one carbon prop. it will be cheaper to convert and less vibration.
I am not mad about that dihedral angle so I think we should look at that next. When I ran the tests 4 years ago I found that it screwed with the Stab. algorithm of the MK. (FWIW)

In the same way that too much yaw gain can screw with other axis of movement dihedral also has this effect.....

jffry7

aka TruckBasher
I am in process of buying S800 but this is definitely my first upgrade. By any chance you already flown this with zenmuse attached?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

DennyR

Yes it flies great with 14x4.7 APC's and the Zen, (nice and Quiet) but I have some others to try yet. I'll try and narrow it down for you guys as to which is best.

The first thing I noticed was how much easier it is to transport the fully assembled model. The carbon props' are a nightmare, if they come into contact with anything they will break.

jffry7

aka TruckBasher
Hope there are still some adapaters left when I got the money to buy the s800 lol. Looking forward for your vids as well as other members who got them

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
denny will have to start mass-production at some point especially if you look at the prices of the S800 props and judging from the quality not justified at all. Which is a bummer actually like the mounting method the DJI introduced with the S800

DennyR

Denny, nice found about apc's.
any records about flight time fully loaded? something tells me you will lost couple of minutes..

cheers
dimitri

Next week when I have a few more props to try. I don't think the APC's are too far from the DJI ones