S800 alternative props

ChrisViperM

Hello Denny

When I came home last night I had a nice little parcel from Cyprus waiting for me....Thanks a lot, your adapters not only free my soul to use any props I want, they are also veeeeeery well machined.

PS: When looking at very expensive Multicopters which are mainly used in the movie-making industry, most of them have wooden Xoar props...is there any specific reason for that....are they more resistent against snapping in mid air, do they flex less, etc...???

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

FerdinandK

@Chris,

Thanks for the first video, I was searching for that for quite a while, glad that you posted it again. Wood is a good vibration absorber, so this might help on the very source for vibes. Any volunteers to hold such a copter at takeoff and landing :D ?

best regards

Ferdinand

ChrisViperM

With the right outfit I would not mind doing handheld starts and landings......:tennis:

Attachments

• imagePPU.JPG
    imagePPU.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 192

DennyR

I flew the Graupners today and I must say I like them a lot. I stared with a fresh battery showing 25.00v. and after it showed 22.17 on the same charger. I got 14.5 mins. before I saw the red light. My impression is that they are the best for stabilization in windy conditions and not at all bad for endurance. I did a fair amount of climbs and descents during that time.

I like the neat way in which the washer and nut sit inside the prop. recess. Motors were super cool after.
View attachment 6588

Glad you like em Chris, you can be the one to try the Xoars....

Be careful with the inserts and make sure the washer sits firmly on the prop. and not the insert the ones that came with the props. were a little on the long side so I took a 1/2 drill and chamfered them by hand. :tennis:

Attachments

• Graupner 14x8.jpg
    Graupner 14x8.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 331

FerdinandK

Did you make your adapters with 8mm or 5mm? would 8mm be possible? I think a small step of 8mm (5mm in height) at the bottom would be enough (to center the prop).

best regards

Ferdinand

DennyR

My adapters are 6 mm. so that people can choose what they want. I may make a few more with 8 mm as that is the way things seem to be going. Yeah love those 14x8's

DennyR

When you look at the DJI prop it produces no lift at all in the central hub area. It is quite possible that the low pressure above the prop. could actually induce flow in an upwards direction like a tip vortice does at the tip.

DennyR

@Chris,

Thanks for the first video, I was searching for that for quite a while, glad that you posted it again. Wood is a good vibration absorber, so this might help on the very source for vibes. Any volunteers to hold such a copter at takeoff and landing :D ?

best regards

Ferdinand
Ah, Ferdinand. We always launch this way on a shoot. Cant afford to have dust on the lens.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Would you guys worry doing this without a washer? The 14x4 have a little to much meat to fit an additional washer ! View attachment 6597

Fits perfect

Boris

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348582068.219839.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348582068.219839.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 326

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Looks like a bad idea to me Boris. I bet the wood will compress and you will lose your clamp load, then all sorts of bad things can happen.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
The nice thing about the mount is that the screws that hold the mounts to the motors are elevated eating a little into the prop and creating enough friction so a good tight hold. But i will keep a close eye on it Lefebvre !

Thread lock works wonders on wooden props. Just let them settle for a couple of flights then re tighten the nut with a drop of thread lock.